Professional Web Applications Themes

distiller crashing - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

I when I try to create a pdf fro a postscript file, distiller crashes. This happen both when I open distiller, which crashes and when I open Acrobat Pro 7 or 8, then file, then create pdf from file, crashes. I have reinstalled, upgraded and still have problems. Loged out and back in as a different user and still the same problem. All was fine until a month ago. Even installed Acrobat Pro 8.0. Same problem. I need to be able to create pdf's fro postscript files for sending to service bureaus. I can do export as pdf in Quark, ...

  1. #1

    Default distiller crashing

    I when I try to create a pdf fro a postscript file, distiller crashes. This happen both when I open distiller, which crashes and when I open Acrobat Pro 7 or 8, then file, then create pdf from file, crashes.
    I have reinstalled, upgraded and still have problems. Loged out and back in as a different user and still the same problem.

    All was fine until a month ago. Even installed Acrobat Pro 8.0. Same problem.

    I need to be able to create pdf's fro postscript files for sending to service bureaus. I can do export as pdf in Quark, Indesign but the files hideously large and I cannot send them out like that.

    Mac, G4, OS 10.4.11
    Jean_L._Shultz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: distiller crashing

    Jean,

    Try creating a new user and see if you can open distiller.

    Mike
    Mike Kazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I tried logging in as a new user. Same results. Also tried to click on a ps file, it opened Preview, which crashed as it was opening.

    Logged in as myself, and crashed Preview when clicking on a ps file. Acrobat Pro 7 and 8 open. Both crash when I try to create pdf from file. Both distillers crash as I try to open them.
    Jean_L._Shultz@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Jean,

    Crashing preview is a good sign sort-of. It means the problem in not
    necessarily related to Acrobat. Having the problem with a different
    user, indicates the problem is not a preference file problem. Possible
    problems:

    1) A permissions issue.

    Using Disk Utility to fix permissions may cure the problem and may not.
    This is easy to check. If fixing permissions doesn't work, try logging
    in as root and see if it works. If it works as root, then the issue is
    most likely permissions related. Don't forget to disable the root user
    when finished (check the OS help to find out how to enable and disable
    root.)

    2) Bad fonts.

    You can try disable most of your unnecessary fonts and see if that
    helps. If you have good versions of the required fonts you can try
    replacing those fonts as well.

    3) You could have some sort of system problem. You can try to re-install
    the last combo updater for the OS your are running. If this doesn't fix
    the problem, we need to get more desparate. Backup your data and try an
    archive an install of your OS.

    Mike
    Michael Kazlow Guest

  5. #5

    It was a system problem. I could not log in as root. Had to have a professional mac guy work through it. All is well now. And I did spend more than an hour on the phone with Adobe tech support before we both gave up.
    Jean_L._Shultz@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Jean,

    Glad to hear all is well.