Professional Web Applications Themes

dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE - FreeBSD

> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:17:47 +0000 (UTC)  > > Looks like you've got a runaway quote somewhere in your startup scripts.[/ref] thanks for your reply, and suggestions for further investigation.   i'm not sure i'm familiar with my setup, either. <g> FWIW: [results of uname -a] FreeBSD Gateway.fbsd_dfa.org 5.3-BETA6 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 #0: Sat Sep 25 19:41:14 UTC 2004 samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 i've also looked through man grep, as opposed to "i've read *and understood* man grep...," but the syntax remains largely opaque, at least to me. grep [options] PATTERN [FILE...] grep [options] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE] [FILE...] cd'd ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

    > Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:17:47 +0000 (UTC)
    >
    > Looks like you've got a runaway quote somewhere in your startup scripts.[/ref]

    thanks for your reply, and suggestions for further investigation.

    i'm not sure i'm familiar with my setup, either. <g>

    FWIW: [results of uname -a]
    FreeBSD Gateway.fbsd_dfa.org 5.3-BETA6 FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 #0: Sat Sep 25
    19:41:14 UTC 2004 samsco.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
    i386

    i've also looked through man grep, as opposed to "i've read *and understood*
    man grep...," but the syntax remains largely opaque, at least to me.

    grep [options] PATTERN [FILE...]
    grep [options] [-e PATTERN | -f FILE] [FILE...]

    cd'd (in root console) to /etc, but even after leaving the box to presumably
    chunk away on its lonesome all day while i was at work,

    grep "permissions are properly set at boot"

    still wasn't finished! assorted flailings-around and willy-nilly readings
    ensue(d)...

    i'm still v., v. confused, but now, in addition to my original confusion, i'm
    also confused about grep! progress of sorts, i suppose. :c)

    any further hints or suggestions? TIA, in newbie-ness.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FW: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

    > /etc/devfs.conf:perm xpt0 0666 #permissions are set properly at

    perm means permissions are being set, xpt0 is the device ('ls /dev') 0666 are
    the permissions. 4=read-only, 5=readable-and-executable, 6=readable-writable,
    7=readable-writable-executable. See 'man chmod'. The first (the zero) is for
    special settings, they don't matter now, the first 6 means that 6 is the
    permission for the owner of the file, the second for the group (in which the
    owner normally resides) and the third for "others", outsiders. "others" might
    be pseudo-users that the system uses to run certain services as (they can't
    log into a shell, it's a safety measure) but if one of those got broken into
    you wouldn't want them to be able to access your devices so easily. So turn
    the last 6 into a 0.

    If you can't use your CD burner or other device that needs write access to xpt
    after that, do the sane thing and add your normal user account to the group
    to which your device or the ones working with it belong. For scsi-emulated
    cd's (cd/dvd writing) through atapicam that would be the operator group.
    Edit /etc/group to have operator:*:5:root,you instead of operator:*:5:root.
    Much safer and more convenient to do it this way: Have preferenced groups and
    add preferenced users to that group, instead of making every device readable
    and writeable to every nobody. Same strategy should be followed with dvd's,
    removable devices, tv cards, etc, anything that might require writing to the
    device by an ordinary but privileged user (you).

    Devfs is a lot better than the static devices we had before (4.X and before)
    where all possible devices (when supported in the kernel or with modules) had
    to be hardcoded whether they were really present or not.

    > yes. that helps. i did sort of think of it in those terms.
    > [/ref]

    FWIW, I have a great preference for using grep after a pipe, I get confused by
    its options also so I tend to avoid them (except -v), e.g

    cat file | awk { something } | sed s/something/something_else/g | grep keyword

    That kind of thing. But it's a matter of taste and familiarality with grep I
    guess.

    > there is a lot of stuff out there, i agree. making sense of it's another
    > story
    > though.[/ref]

    Look into tools and learn the few that for some reason appeal to you. Learn
    some inside out and others briefly. There's many ways to Rome you know...
    just get aquainted with enough tools so that you have your easy (well known)
    preferences and know enough about some others to be able to rudimentally use
    them. IMHO that should be enough to get by.

    For general tricks and tips search for general unix/shell/sh/bash/csh how-to's
    and console tips. The book Unix Power Tools is a great resource also, though
    today I'd recommend to just google with the right terms.

    HTH,

    Dan
    Danny Guest

  3. #3

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    Christopher Guest

  4. #4

    Default FW: dmesg -a lines' explanation? NEWBIE

    And it's off to the list!

  5. #5

    On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:45:10PM -0800, Andrew Heyn wrote:

    A couple of months ago I put up the things I learnt from configuring my
    FreeBSD box on a web page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/

    It deals (among other things) with configuring the CD-ROM/RW/DVD
    devices.

    > there is a lot of stuff out there, i agree. making sense of it's another
    > story though.[/ref]

    You might want to have a look at the Handbook that comes with FreeBSD,
    especially chapter 3 (UNIX basics). There are also several good books on
    FreeBSD available, see Appendix B of the Handbook.

    You can find the english version of the handbook by pointing your
    browser at /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html. It
    is also available in plain text format;
    /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.txt

    Roland
    --
    R.F. Smith /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
    r s m i t h x s 4 a l l . n l \ / No HTML/RTF in e-mail

    Roland Guest

  6. #6

    hello Roland,

    On Wednesday, March 30, 2005: 07:54, Roland Smith wrote:
    > A couple of months ago I put up the things I learnt from configuring my
    > FreeBSD box on a web page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/[/ref]

    thank you for your reply. i had already bookmarked your web-page, and i credit
    it with a great portion of my still-limited understanding of what's going on
    inside this box of mine.
     [/ref][/ref]

    i agree google's a terrific resource, as is the Handbook, of which i do have a
    copy. i must be more of a visual need-to-watch-someone-else kinda learner, i
    guess, and which is a bit harder to do in isolation behind a computer screen.
    i still notice a big gap between what i can accomplish based on reading the
    Handbook, say, and what others here & elsewhere seem able to do/understand.

    thanks again.

    David Guest

  7. #7

    hello Danny,

    thanks for your help, and sorry for the delay getting back to you.

    > perm means permissions are being set, xpt0 is the device ('ls /dev') 0666
    > are the permissions. 4=read-only, 5=readable-and-executable,
    > 6=readable-writable, 7=readable-writable-executable. See 'man chmod'. The[/ref]

    pretty incredible that i didn't get a chance to actually do any googling
    before i had more info than i knew what to do with! for example:

    i'm way far away from understanding awk & sed. so {something}, in this case
    would be {permissions are set properly at boot}? but what's the
    "sed /something/something_else/g"... etc.?

    seven, as i recall. or was that hills? sono perplesso!

    i got that one out of the library a few months back, and yes, it was helpful.
    i'll google for the how-to's & console tips. thanks for the recommendations!

    big time. gracias.

    dave
    David Guest

  8. #8

    On Friday 01 April 2005 05:39, David Armour wrote:

    > > perm means permissions are being set, xpt0 is the device ('ls /dev') 0666
    > > are the permissions. 4=read-only, 5=readable-and-executable,
    > > 6=readable-writable, 7=readable-writable-executable. See 'man chmod'. The[/ref]
    >
    > pretty incredible that i didn't get a chance to actually do any googling
    >
    > before i had more info than i knew what to do with! for example:
    >
    > i'm way far away from understanding awk & sed. so {something}, in this case
    > would be {permissions are set properly at boot}? but what's the
    > "sed /something/something_else/g"... etc.?[/ref]

    Oh, no, not at all, it was meant as an example. It's about how there's many
    ways to search for things in files or replace certain strings in files, etc.
    As in: if you're having troubles with options to one tool it's perfectly OK
    to avoid it by using another tool and pipe the output from one to the other
    ( the "|" ). Be lazy but do it smart :) Sorry if I confused you.

    You just needed to edit devfs.conf with any editor you like for setting the
    permissions for devices as the thread went.

    > seven, as i recall. or was that hills? sono perplesso![/ref]

    Hills I think, but now I'm doubting if that wasn't Athens :)

    > i got that one out of the library a few months back, and yes, it was
    > helpful. i'll google for the how-to's & console tips. thanks for the
    > recommendations![/ref]

    YW,

    Dan
    Danny Guest