Professional Web Applications Themes

DMG files and download/install process on OSX is too complex - Mac Applications & Software

In a word, this s. First, the DMG files are not recognized by all Mac browsers as compressed archives. Secondly, they decompress and mount on a "temporary" drive. Most new users have no concept of a "drive", much less a temporary one. Lastly, the contents have to be moved from the decompressed location otherwise they disappear on next boot. I don't know how many customers I have had to deal with that have dragged the app from the temp drive to the dock. For a company that prides itself in marketing its computers as "easy to use", this whole DMG ...

  1. #1

    Default DMG files and download/install process on OSX is too complex

    In a word, this s.

    First, the DMG files are not recognized by all Mac browsers as
    compressed archives.

    Secondly, they decompress and mount on a "temporary" drive. Most new
    users have no concept of a "drive", much less a temporary one.

    Lastly, the contents have to be moved from the decompressed location
    otherwise they disappear on next boot. I don't know how many customers
    I have had to deal with that have dragged the app from the temp drive
    to the dock.

    For a company that prides itself in marketing its computers as "easy
    to use", this whole DMG distribution "solution" is simply deficient
    and too complex for a new computer user.

    Can anyone suggest a low cost alternative for distributing apps on the
    Internet that works on every OS X machine and will continue to work in
    the future? I am getting tired of having to educate my customers about
    how to use their computer for a $12.95 app.

    I'd like to have something similar to a PC installer where the user
    simply clicks on a link and the file is downloaded, decompress, and
    permanently installed without having to worry about temp drives,
    copying files, etc.

    Michael McCulloch
    Michael McCulloch Guest

  2. #2

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:28:28 -0400, nospam <nospamnospam.invalid>
    wrote:
    >just make a stuffit archive. drag/drop on stuffit expander if the
    >browser doesn't automatically launch it.
    Well, $50+ dollars for a compressor app is steep, but I've chucked
    trying to use dmg files and am now using Stuffit. If that $50 saves me
    from having to answer a gazillion messages from confused customers, it
    will be worth it.

    Michael
    Michael McCulloch Guest

  3. #3

    Michael McCulloch <michaelmnospam.invalid.net> wrote:
    > First, the DMG files are not recognized by all Mac browsers as
    > compressed archives.
    In fairness, they're not compressed archives.
    > Can anyone suggest a low cost alternative for distributing apps on the
    > Internet that works on every OS X machine and will continue to work in
    > the future? I am getting tired of having to educate my customers about
    > how to use their computer for a $12.95 app.
    Use a Stuffit archive. Those self-deleting disk images are too annoying
    for words.

    You could also use a package, and have it run in Apple's Installer program.
    There's a package-creating program included with the developer tools.
    > I'd like to have something similar to a PC installer where the user
    > simply clicks on a link and the file is downloaded, decompress, and
    > permanently installed without having to worry about temp drives,
    > copying files, etc.
    That would be really, really bad. Clicking on something in my browser
    should *never* run or install software on my computer.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Guest