Professional Web Applications Themes

DMX Failure - Too many links in site? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi, I'm working on a site that contains over 25,000 files, approximately half a million internal links and over 10,000 external links. When importing the site for the first time, Dreamweaver scans most of the site, builds up a link database up to about 275,000 links and then exits without error or warning. Dreamweaver never gets past this stage. I'd like to be able to use Dreamweaver to some work on this site, like checking the links, but I'm not sure how to. Cheers, Jon R. -- If this message generates more spam to my account I'll probably never notice....

  1. #1

    Default DMX Failure - Too many links in site?

    --
    If this message generates more spam to my account I'll probably never
    notice.

    Jon Ripley Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: DMX Failure - Too many links in site?

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:29:49 +0100, "Jon Ripley"
    <jonstryker.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm working on a site that contains over 25,000 files, approximately half a
    >million internal links and over 10,000 external links.
    >
    >When importing the site for the first time, Dreamweaver scans most of the
    >site, builds up a link database up to about 275,000 links and then exits
    >without error or warning. Dreamweaver never gets past this stage.
    >
    >I'd like to be able to use Dreamweaver to some work on this site, like
    >checking the links, but I'm not sure how to.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Jon R.
    Which version are you using? About a year ago, I had the entire
    National Assembly for Wales website on my computer, which was of a
    similar size. I didn't design the site, I hasten to add, but I was
    asked to change one link that appeared over 5000 times throughout the
    site. DWMX coped, but the Find and Replace took over 3 hours.

    I know, that's not very helpful to you. What DW version are you using;
    what's your OS and RAM and processor speed and Shoe Size etc.?

    Paul Taylor
    Paul Taylor Guest

  4. #4

    "Paul Taylor" <pftaylortechnocurve.co.uk> wrote
    > On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:29:49 +0100, "Jon Ripley"
    > <jonstryker.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm working on a site that contains over 25,000 files, approximately half
    > >million internal links and over 10,000 external links.
    > >
    > >When importing the site for the first time, Dreamweaver scans most of the
    > >site, builds up a link database up to about 275,000 links and then exits
    > >without error or warning. Dreamweaver never gets past this stage.
    > >
    > >I'd like to be able to use Dreamweaver to some work on this site, like
    > >checking the links, but I'm not sure how to.
    >
    > Which version are you using? About a year ago, I had the entire
    > National Assembly for Wales website on my computer, which was of a
    > similar size. I didn't design the site, I hasten to add, but I was
    > asked to change one link that appeared over 5000 times throughout the
    > site. DWMX coped, but the Find and Replace took over 3 hours.
    >
    > I know, that's not very helpful to you. What DW version are you using;
    > what's your OS and RAM and processor speed and Shoe Size etc.?

    Dreamweaver MX 6.0, Win98 SE (with all latest security flaws and bugs
    installed), 128Mb RAM, 366 AMD, 800Mb free HDD space and the site is 64Mbish
    and 10.5 extra wide.

    I've grabbed the DW 6.1 update but it refuses to install with a 'Severe'
    error 'This folder does not contain Dreamweaver MX'. I've done the usual
    round of bugged installer fixes but nothing. The .cab files are not in a
    format I can read (to install myself).

    What needs to be done to bypass the installers installation integrity checks
    so I can get it to install. Or whatever else will work.

    cheers,
    Jon R.

    Jon Ripley Guest