Professional Web Applications Themes

DNS Name Server with one IP address - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default DNS Name Server with one IP address

    Removed by Administrator
    Ivan Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: DNS Name Server with one IP address

    Removed by Administrator
    Patrick Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ben Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Ben Measures <com> wrote in message news:<6mDPb.4$blueyonder.co.uk>...

    --Well not really dummy, but they said thier NS's hold no records that
    point to my IP address ?

    --Just wondering if there would be any conflict with the 3 services
    all under one IP specialy since NS and www are at the same IP.

    -- Thanks, Have read the file and implemented it but to no avail
    which leades me to ....
    Since i have to provide my own 2 NS's to my registrar
    Does my name servers have to be registered (according to Dr DNS it has
    to), as i am pointing my domainname NS at the registrar end to
    NS1.mydomain.com (my computer) and with whom do i do that?.

    --Thanks for all the support.
    Regards Ivan
    Ivan Guest

  5. #5

    Ivan wrote:

    > --Well not really dummy, but they said thier NS's hold no records that
    > point to my IP address ?[/ref]

    You need to get in contact with the company you registered your domain
    with (www.mydomain.com?) and tell your ip address. Their NS will then
    resolve all requests for www.yourdomain.com to your ip address. If their
    NS won't then you've made a mistake in registering the domain with
    whomever you did - there are others who will, for less money.

    BTW, what is your domain? It would help a great deal in determining if
    they will resolve it for you.

    > --Just wondering if there would be any conflict with the 3 services
    > all under one IP specialy since NS and www are at the same IP.
    >

    > -- Thanks, Have read the file and implemented it but to no avail
    > which leades me to ....
    > Since i have to provide my own 2 NS's to my registrar[/ref]

    Now, are you *absolutely sure* about this? The only way to be sure is to
    do whois (http://www.internic.net/whois.html) on the domain. It will
    list the nameservers registered with the domain.

    Yes you do have to register your name servers. That is the complicated
    bit. I don't know who with or how. Maybe its with whoever handles
    ..com/.biz/.org or whatever your domain name ends with.

    --
    Ben M.

    ----------------
    What are Software Patents for?

    What do Software Patents do?
    big legal departments as they:
    years of harassment).

    before its too late.

    ----------------

    Ben Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chris Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Chris Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ben Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dan Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Hi All,

    I have finally manages to set it up and have my site online, the
    reason I had not posted my web address is due to client
    confidentiality. Dan, I did use zoneedit.com after looking around for
    a lot of free name-servers and then hit upon them, yes they are FREE
    and great. Very easy to manage. I tried to use granitecanyon.com but
    could not get the 'zone config' right in their manage box and then
    they would bounce my mail back when I tried to confirm (could not
    figure it out).

    I went down this part as I a sure others have, first I got a web
    address and then realized that I need to get nameservers and both my
    registrar and ISP where charging for that. now Linux is a free world
    so i was sure a solution was out there, then this led me to run my own
    NS which now realizing I configured right with the help from various
    websites and books BUT ALL don't mention (guess common sense for a
    administrator) that you have to have your nameservers registered with
    the top level domain (means more $$). that was where the frustration
    was I got it all working but should not access it from the internet.
    But i got hold of the DNS and BIND book, along with Dr DNS that one's
    NS have to be registered.

    Anyway I am happy bunny (or penguin) now! But I am sure there are a
    lot of people out there who think there, who think they could just
    register thier domain name and rock in roll (funny no registrar (that
    I encountered) mentions they will hold you at ransom for not having a
    NS, friendly call it 'DNS Parking' that has no name-ip resolution
    (this is just done so that they get your business, as the main country
    domain body requires 2 NS when you register)

    I hope other novice eager web-registration people like me take note,
    also I think the DNS FAQ's should advice one about registration (if I
    missed it) when the speak about running you own NS

    Thanks Michael, Chris and Dan your inputs where very timely, detailed
    and precise. Cheers!!!

    Ivan
    Ivan Guest

  11. #11

    On 23 Jan 2004 07:32:46 -0800, com (Ivan)
    wrote:

    I love the free nature of Linux. Glad I could make a small
    contribution by helping someone else, I'm usually the one asking the
    questions.

    Good luck managing your network.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  12. #12

    Dan wrote:

    > I love the free nature of Linux. Glad I could make a small
    > contribution by helping someone else,[/ref]

    Sharing the knowledge is a good way to start. At least that's what I try to do.

    We all were newbies once, and some of /still/ have the odd question. Learning
    never stops.

    Luck to you as well

    --
    Lew Pitcher

    Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

    Lew Guest

  13. #13

    Along with the other great responses, I thought I'd share my interesting
    setup with ya. I have the exact same hardware configuration as you, except
    I have a dynamic dns.

    I use www.no-ip.com's authoritive DNS servers with the registar. They offer
    a service that lets me run a client and send my IP to them when it changes
    so their records can reflect this (You don't have to worry about this).

    My gateway box is also setup to be the authoritive nameserver on my domain.
    However, since "the world" sees the authoritive ones as ns1.no-ip.com and
    ns2.no-ip.com, it's only really authoritive to machines I tell it to be for
    (in this case, my local network).

    I did this so I could have all of my local machines (which have private IP's
    and get NAT'ed through the gateway) use my domain.

    Some example config:
    I have gateway.mydomain.tld registered with no-ip to point to my gateway
    box. the no-ip record has my internet ip.

    I have bind9 on the gateway acting as the authority for my domain:

    from named.conf:

    zone "mydomain.tld" {
    type master;
    notify no;
    file "pri/mydomain.tld";
    };

    and my zone file for my domain:
    $TTL 86400

    IN SOA mydomain.tld. jlowery.mydomain.tld. (
    2 ; Serial
    8H ; Refresh 8 hours
    2H ; Retry 2 hours
    1W ; Expire 1 week
    1D ; Minimum 1 day
    )

    NS gateway
    MX 10 gateway.mydomain.tld
    gateway A 192.168.1.1
    www A 192.168.1.1

    # some machines on my local network
    oracle A 192.168.1.10
    trinity A 192.168.1.11

    The one thing to be sure of is keeping the gateway records in sync with my
    external provider's records. if I put a cname on the external provider for
    the gateway, I have to do it on the gateway too.

    So as far as my local network is concerned, gateway controls mydomain.tld.
    Oh, and also named.conf needs the "hints" record to be able to resolve
    everything else.

    zone "." IN {
    type hint;
    file "named.ca";
    };

    The only thing left to do is have all the local network machines use
    192.168.1.1 (the gateway) as their nameserver.

    So all the machines on my local network are using DNS for my domain (I only
    have 5 but this is my network and I like playing :) and it works globally
    as well.

    if you resolve the gateway from the internet you get the external IP, if you
    resolve it from the LAN you get the internal IP.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest