Professional Web Applications Themes

Do I need to reinstall? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Stanley Keymer <stakeynospam.com> wrote: > At present SuSE is installed on the 2nd hardisk. I now want to move it > to the 1st hardisk. man tar. > On the first disk is W2k which I have no use for, so I shall delete man fdisk. > first. As lilo is on the first disk MBR, what would > be the simple and best way to do this. There is no difficulty. Simply make a partition, format it, and copy your data over (cp -a, or two tar's with a pipe between). Then reconfigure your fstab and lilo.conf to match ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Do I need to reinstall?

    Stanley Keymer <stakeynospam.com> wrote:
    > At present SuSE is installed on the 2nd hardisk. I now want to move it
    > to the 1st hardisk.
    man tar.
    > On the first disk is W2k which I have no use for, so I shall delete
    man fdisk.
    > first. As lilo is on the first disk MBR, what would
    > be the simple and best way to do this.
    There is no difficulty. Simply make a partition, format it, and copy
    your data over (cp -a, or two tar's with a pipe between).

    Then reconfigure your fstab and lilo.conf to match the new setup,
    and run lilo. (well, lilo -r /mnt, probably, since you'll likely
    have mounted the new partition on /mnt for the operation).
    > Or do I need to reinstall SuSE?
    No, you need to take a crowbar and push it up the left nostril of a
    blind atoo. What do you think?

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  2. #2

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > No, you need to take a crowbar and push it up the left nostril of a
    > blind atoo. What do you think?
    >
    > Peter
    You're an idiot????
    Baho Utot Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:28:24 GMT, Baho Utot <baho-utotphilippines-island.org> wrote:

    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >

    >> No, you need to take a crowbar and push it up the left nostril of a
    >> blind atoo. What do you think?
    >>
    >> Peter
    >
    > You're an idiot????

    No. An obnoxious and abrasive arrogant prick who has been killfiled by more
    people than anyone else on the Usenet.

    Join us. You'll be in good company.

    Alan C
    Alan Connor Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Peter T. Breuer Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Doug Laidlaw <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:
    > If Stanley knew, he wouldn't be asking. But on a similar topic, if I move a
    > HD with Linux onto another computer, I DO have to reinstall. Windoze would
    > just detect different hardware. Why is this?
    It is not.

    You do NOT have to reinstall. Those distros that do hardware detection
    detect different hardware.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    Alan Connor wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:28:24 GMT, Baho Utot
    > <baho-utotphilippines-island.org> wrote:
    >>

    >> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >>

    >>> No, you need to take a crowbar and push it up the left nostril of a
    >>> blind atoo. What do you think?
    >>>
    >>> Peter
    >>
    >> You're an idiot????
    >

    > No. An obnoxious and abrasive arrogant prick who has been killfiled by
    > more people than anyone else on the Usenet.
    >
    > Join us. You'll be in good company.
    >

    > Alan C
    Hey, Good advice, I am going to take it!
    Baho Utot Guest

  7. #7

    Doug Laidlaw wrote:

    > Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:28:24 GMT, Baho Utot
    >> <baho-utotphilippines-island.org> wrote:

    >>> You're an idiot????
    >>

    >> No. An obnoxious and abrasive arrogant prick who has been killfiled by
    >> more people than anyone else on the Usenet.
    >>
    >> Join us. You'll be in good company.
    >>

    >> Alan C
    > If Stanley knew, he wouldn't be asking. But on a similar topic, if I move
    > HD with Linux onto another computer, I DO have to reinstall. Windoze
    > would
    > just detect different hardware. Why is this?
    >
    > Doug.
    Doug, just to make it clear, we are talking about peter not Stanley. I have
    nothing against anyone asking any type questions here, even if it has been
    asked and answered many many many times before. Peter on the other hand is
    an obnoxious and abrasive arrogant prick, just as Alan has said. Please,
    No offence to Stanley.

    Baho Utot Guest

  8. #8

    Doug writes:
    > But on a similar topic, if I move a HD with Linux onto another computer,
    > I DO have to reinstall.
    No you don't.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email]

  9. #9

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:26:39 +1000, Doug Laidlaw <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:

    > Alan Connor wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:28:24 GMT, Baho Utot
    >> <baho-utotphilippines-island.org> wrote:
    >>
    >> Alan C
    > If Stanley knew, he wouldn't be asking.
    ?????

    But on a similar topic, if I move a
    > HD with Linux onto another computer, I DO have to reinstall. Windoze would
    > just detect different hardware. Why is this?
    >
    > Doug.

    Are you SURE you have to reinstall?

    And if you do, I would guess that that is just the way linux is setup. Or
    the way the particular distros you have tried this with are set up.

    It could be that you need to pass certain arguments at the boot prompt to
    get it to work....

    From watching the boot-time messages scroll by, it is obvious that there is
    quite a lot of detecting going on....Maybe it has something to do with the
    BIOS?

    ie Don't have a clue. Never did it.

    Alan C
    Alan Connor Guest

  10. #10

    In article <fmcd11-g03.ln1dougshost.mydomain.org.au>,
    Doug Laidlaw <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:
    >But on a similar topic, if I move a
    >HD with Linux onto another computer, I DO have to reinstall.
    Nonsense. Unless you've built a custom kernel for a high level processor
    (e.g. a Pentium 4) and then moved the disc into something with a lesser
    processor (e.g. a 386), it will generally boot up just fine. Lots of
    distributions will even re-configure your peripherals automatically
    too.
    >Windoze would just detect different hardware.
    Have you actually tried it with Windows? The usual result is a very
    confused computer which can only be recovered by re-installing.
    >Why is this?
    Since it isn't, this question is meaningless.

    John
    --
    The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
    See [url]http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/[/url]

    We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.
    John Winters Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 at 20:00 GMT, Stanley Keymer eloquently wrote:
    > At present SuSE is installed on the 2nd hardisk. I now want to move it
    > to the 1st hardisk.
    > On the first disk is W2k which I have no use for, so I shall delete
    > first. As lilo is on the first disk MBR, what would
    > be the simple and best way to do this. Or do I need to reinstall SuSE?
    An alternative to what other people have mentioned is to edit
    lilo.conf and switch the hdb with hda. Then install this on
    a floppy and change /etc/fstab to switch hda and hdb around.
    Shutdown, switch the drives around physically and change the
    jumpers too and boot using the floppy. If this works, reinstall
    lilo to hda's boot sector. Of course this may entail additional
    steps no mentioned here...

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'