Professional Web Applications Themes

Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation? - Mac Networking

I'm thinking on making the jump to wireless. Currently I have three Macs (a G3/G4 beige hybrid, a Quicksilver G4, and a G3 iBook). Only the iBook has an Airport card but I suspect it's an old one. All three are connected to DSL thru a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSX411). If I add an Airport card to the Quicksilver (don't think I can do it with the G3/G4 hybrid), can I just use the new Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G) without the basestation? What is the advantage of the basestation anyway? Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bull before. My ...

  1. #1

    Default Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    I'm thinking on making the jump to wireless. Currently I have three
    Macs (a G3/G4 beige hybrid, a Quicksilver G4, and a G3 iBook). Only the
    iBook has an Airport card but I suspect it's an old one. All three are
    connected to DSL thru a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSX411). If I add an
    Airport card to the Quicksilver (don't think I can do it with the G3/G4
    hybrid), can I just use the new Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G)
    without the basestation? What is the advantage of the basestation
    anyway? Thanks.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: [email]scasseinvalid.net[/email] replacing the invalid with sonic.

    Otto Pylot Guest

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:15:21 GMT,
    Bob Harris (harriszk3.dec.com) wrote:
    > If you use Mac OS 9 (or earlier) and depend on file sharing and other
    > AppleTalk services, then it might be important that the wireless router,
    > route AppleTalk packets. This might require looking at several vendors
    > products to see which ones will do what you want (natrually, Apple
    > wireless base stations do route AppleTalk). Look at the specs for
    > Linksys, D-Link, SMC, others (you might try a Google search for
    >
    > wireless router appletalk
    >
    There aren't many WAPs on the market that support AppleTalk routing
    between the wired and wireless segments of the network. After a long
    search last week, I settled on the Netgear MR314 -- which you can pick
    up for as little as $60 (new), and cheaper on eBay. Note that the newer
    Netgeat MR814 doesn't support AppleTalk routing between wired and wireless
    segments .....

    The MR314 took about 10 minutes to setup, and has more features than
    Apple's Graphite or Snow base-stations, although as Bob mentioned, WEP
    passwords have to be entered in hexadecimal on Mac side.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    I entered a password via my eMac to my aiport bs. I am now trying to
    configure a windoze XP machine to use the network. It is asking for
    the Network Key. How do I translate my password to this key?
    TIA,
    Jim
    In article <harris-A364FB.21511928062003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>, Bob
    Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    > In article <280620031252504998%ottobogus.address.invalid>,
    > Otto Pylot <ottobogus.address.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm thinking on making the jump to wireless. Currently I have three
    > > Macs (a G3/G4 beige hybrid, a Quicksilver G4, and a G3 iBook). Only the
    > > iBook has an Airport card but I suspect it's an old one. All three are
    > > connected to DSL thru a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSX411). If I add an
    > > Airport card to the Quicksilver (don't think I can do it with the G3/G4
    > > hybrid), can I just use the new Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G)
    > > without the basestation? What is the advantage of the basestation
    > > anyway? Thanks.
    >
    > If you put an Airport card in your Quicksilver _AND_ also connect the
    > Quicsilver to the Linksys BEFSX411 (like it is today), you can enable
    > the Software Base Station software on the Quicksilver to allow it to
    > provide wireless service for the iBook. This option works for either
    > Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X (of course they have different names and ways to
    > get them going, but it should work).
    >
    > Of course this would require that the Quicksilver be running when you
    > wanted to use the iBook to sit on the porch room surf'in the web.
    >
    > If you want to replace your current linksys with a Wireless Cable/DSL
    > Router, then one of the things you should keep in mind is where you
    > still use AppleTalk. If your environment is all Mac OS X, then you can
    > live without AppleTalk (which also assumes you do not have a LocalTalk
    > printer :-) Mac OS X can do everything using TCP/IP.
    >
    > If you use Mac OS 9 (or earlier) and depend on file sharing and other
    > AppleTalk services, then it might be important that the wireless router,
    > route AppleTalk packets. This might require looking at several vendors
    > products to see which ones will do what you want (natrually, Apple
    > wireless base stations do route AppleTalk). Look at the specs for
    > Linksys, D-Link, SMC, others (you might try a Google search for
    >
    > wireless router appletalk
    >
    > One advantage of using an Apple base station or your Quicksilver as a
    > base station, is that you can setup a WEP encryption password that is a
    > text string which is easy to remember and enter.
    >
    > If you use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router generally you have to enter the
    > WEP encryption password as a hexidecimal number (10 hex digits for a 40
    > bit password). Then when you enter this hex password on the Mac, you
    > need to prefix the hex password with a dollar sign. If your Wireless
    > router offers you the option of entering a text password, this will most
    > likely not work, since the algorithm used for converting the text
    > password to the hex encryption key that Apple uses is different from the
    > algorithm that Microsoft uses, and the non-Apple base stations tend to
    > use the Microsoft algorithm.
    >
    > Bob Harris
    James Rudolph Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    In article <020720032322534721%jimrudolph70mac.com>,
    James Rudolph <jimrudolph70mac.com> wrote:
    > I entered a password via my eMac to my aiport bs. I am now trying to
    > configure a windoze XP machine to use the network. It is asking for
    > the Network Key. How do I translate my password to this key?
    > TIA,
    > Jim
    The Airport Base Station Airport Admin Utility has a menu option that
    will tell you the "Equivalent Network Password". It is under the
    BaseStation menu. It will be a hex value. Take that hex value and use
    it as the 802.11b password for your XP system.

    Bob Harris
    > In article <harris-A364FB.21511928062003juggl7.zk3.dec.com>, Bob
    > Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <280620031252504998%ottobogus.address.invalid>,
    > > Otto Pylot <ottobogus.address.invalid> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm thinking on making the jump to wireless. Currently I have three
    > > > Macs (a G3/G4 beige hybrid, a Quicksilver G4, and a G3 iBook). Only the
    > > > iBook has an Airport card but I suspect it's an old one. All three are
    > > > connected to DSL thru a Linksys 4-port router (BEFSX411). If I add an
    > > > Airport card to the Quicksilver (don't think I can do it with the G3/G4
    > > > hybrid), can I just use the new Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G)
    > > > without the basestation? What is the advantage of the basestation
    > > > anyway? Thanks.
    > >
    > > If you put an Airport card in your Quicksilver _AND_ also connect the
    > > Quicsilver to the Linksys BEFSX411 (like it is today), you can enable
    > > the Software Base Station software on the Quicksilver to allow it to
    > > provide wireless service for the iBook. This option works for either
    > > Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X (of course they have different names and ways to
    > > get them going, but it should work).
    > >
    > > Of course this would require that the Quicksilver be running when you
    > > wanted to use the iBook to sit on the porch room surf'in the web.
    > >
    > > If you want to replace your current linksys with a Wireless Cable/DSL
    > > Router, then one of the things you should keep in mind is where you
    > > still use AppleTalk. If your environment is all Mac OS X, then you can
    > > live without AppleTalk (which also assumes you do not have a LocalTalk
    > > printer :-) Mac OS X can do everything using TCP/IP.
    > >
    > > If you use Mac OS 9 (or earlier) and depend on file sharing and other
    > > AppleTalk services, then it might be important that the wireless router,
    > > route AppleTalk packets. This might require looking at several vendors
    > > products to see which ones will do what you want (natrually, Apple
    > > wireless base stations do route AppleTalk). Look at the specs for
    > > Linksys, D-Link, SMC, others (you might try a Google search for
    > >
    > > wireless router appletalk
    > >
    > > One advantage of using an Apple base station or your Quicksilver as a
    > > base station, is that you can setup a WEP encryption password that is a
    > > text string which is easy to remember and enter.
    > >
    > > If you use a Wireless Cable/DSL Router generally you have to enter the
    > > WEP encryption password as a hexidecimal number (10 hex digits for a 40
    > > bit password). Then when you enter this hex password on the Mac, you
    > > need to prefix the hex password with a dollar sign. If your Wireless
    > > router offers you the option of entering a text password, this will most
    > > likely not work, since the algorithm used for converting the text
    > > password to the hex encryption key that Apple uses is different from the
    > > algorithm that Microsoft uses, and the non-Apple base stations tend to
    > > use the Microsoft algorithm.
    > >
    > > Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    In article <slrnbg76eq.49f.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:15:21 GMT,
    > Bob Harris (harriszk3.dec.com) wrote:
    > > If you use Mac OS 9 (or earlier) and depend on file sharing and other
    > > AppleTalk services, then it might be important that the wireless router,
    > > route AppleTalk packets. This might require looking at several vendors
    > > products to see which ones will do what you want (natrually, Apple
    > > wireless base stations do route AppleTalk). Look at the specs for
    > > Linksys, D-Link, SMC, others (you might try a Google search for
    > >
    > > wireless router appletalk
    > >
    >
    > There aren't many WAPs on the market that support AppleTalk routing
    > between the wired and wireless segments of the network. After a long
    > search last week, I settled on the Netgear MR314 -- which you can pick
    > up for as little as $60 (new), and cheaper on eBay. Note that the newer
    > Netgeat MR814 doesn't support AppleTalk routing between wired and wireless
    > segments .....
    Do you know any places where it can be bought new? I looked once and
    found zip.

    --
    Clark Martin
    Redwood City, CA, USA Macintosh / Internet Consulting

    "I'm a designated driver on the Information Super Highway"
    Clark Martin Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 23:32:32 GMT,
    Clark Martin (cmnewssonic.net) wrote:
    > In article <slrnbg76eq.49f.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    > "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> There aren't many WAPs on the market that support AppleTalk routing
    >> between the wired and wireless segments of the network. After a long
    >> search last week, I settled on the Netgear MR314 -- which you can pick
    >> up for as little as $60 (new), and cheaper on eBay. Note that the newer
    >> Netgeat MR814 doesn't support AppleTalk routing between wired and wireless
    >> segments .....
    >
    > Do you know any places where it can be bought new? I looked once and
    > found zip.
    Here is where I purchased it from:
    [url]http://store./saveateaglestore/modmrcab80wi.html[/url]

    The price was $59 -- and was the cheapest I found for a new MR314. With
    2 day FEDEX, I was charged $69. No affiliation with the store. They were
    rude on the phone, but it came when promised and worked out of the box.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do I Really Need an Airport Basestation?

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 14:33:20 +0100,
    Sak Wathanasin (swnetwork-ysis.ltd.uk) wrote:
    > In article <slrnbg76eq.49f.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>,
    > "Bev A. Kupf" <bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> There aren't many WAPs on the market that support AppleTalk routing
    >> between the wired and wireless segments of the network. After a long
    >> search last week, ...
    >
    >
    > For anyone else who might be looking, there is a (non-exhaustive) kist of
    > WAPs that support AppleTalk on
    >
    ><http://www.network-ysis.ltd.uk/wapformac.html>
    This was actually one of the pages I found while doing a Google search
    for "WAP and AppleTalk". Thank for putting it up -- it made my search
    and decision much easier.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Q: Which Airport Card?
    By Otto Pylot in forum Mac Applications & Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 11th, 05:00 AM
  2. Airport
    By Bob Harris in forum Mac Applications & Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 26th, 01:07 PM
  3. WPA support for airport
    By Ken T in forum Mac Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 25th, 01:59 PM
  4. Basestation 3.1 + Orinoco Silver + win2k = NO GO
    By Christoph in forum Mac Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 25th, 04:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139