File Associations... [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => <2ccd8c8f.5@webx.la2eafNXanI> [ref] => <2ccd8c8f.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI> [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Lou [ip] => member@adobefor [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 7 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Do not want Elements as default!!!! - Adobe Photoshop Elements
Professional Web Applications Themes

Do not want Elements as default!!!! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Can someone help me? I must have hit the wrong setting during installation, because now my PS Elements has overtaken my computer. When I try to download pictures from my CF card via a card reader, rather than having that program come up and let me make a folder in My PIctures, it now opens to Elements as if to overide everything else. Is there someway to have it to where I only open Elements when I want to???...

Default Do not want Elements as default!!!!

Can someone help me? I must have hit the wrong setting during installation, because now my PS Elements has overtaken my computer. When I try to download pictures from my CF card via a card reader, rather than having that program come up and let me make a folder in My PIctures, it now opens to Elements as if to overide everything else. Is there someway to have it to where I only open Elements when I want to???
    Deda Guest

Default Re: Do not want Elements as default!!!!

Deda, are you running Windows or Mac, and which version of Elements?

Chuck

Chuck Guest

My guess is that she's using a Win machine, because of her reference to My Pictures. We'll see if I'm any match for Columbo in regard to my investigative abilities. :)
    Beth Guest

Beth, you are peerless in that regard...!

:-)

Chuck Guest

Probably the easiest thing to do is to just reinstall your card reader
    software. If it were a case of double clicking on a jpg and having
    something unwanted come up, I could help you, but I am not sure about
    automatic things such as card readers. Maybe someone has a better idea,
    but then, in the time it might take for someone to post, you could
    reinstall your software and solve the problem. (make sure you have up
    to date backups before you do anything, though, just in case)

Vicky Guest

Vicky, I think Elements placed itself as lead dog when it was installed. Since she's using a Win machine (I think), there's a pretty simple way to change the default viewer. I just never remember what it is! It has something to do with opening a jpeg image and doing a right click manuver. But, being a Mac user, that's all I remember. On my Win machines, I just let them do anything they want because I'm too lazy to train them. :) The other thing I remember (I think) is that you have to go through this process to reassociate each image format.
    Beth Guest

In Windows, you can change it right from within Elements. Just select Edit-->File Associations...
    Lou Guest

Beth Haney wrote: 

Yeah, that's my point. It sounds like she's dealing with the problem of
    having the wrong software come up when she plugs in her card reader.
    I'm not sure how Windows deals with this. I mean, fixing this might be
    just as easy as changing file associations, but I don't know how to do
    it, personally, with a hardware/software package. In the past, when
    I've lost that link between some hardware and software package, I just
    reinstalled the software package, and all was well after maybe only 5
    minutes (tops). (it might even be a driver issue - I don't know. I
    only remember having minor problems with an external CD burner and I
    *think* it was actually the *driver* that I reinstalled, but sigh that
    was a couple of years ago now and these days I have a built-in one that
    worked right out of the box...)

My impression was that it was not a viewer issue. Maybe she'll come
    back and tell us more. :-)

Vicky Guest

Beth & Vicky: Good point about the hardware connection. I did a little more research and came up with a better answer. Thanks!

Deda,

Connect your card reader and close Photoshop Elements after it launches. Then follow these instructions (I found them in a Google Groups search after a little tinkering on my Windows XP machine) :

<begin quoted message>

1. Open My Computer

2. Under Devices with Removable Storage, right-click the device you want, such as a digital camera or CD-ROM drive, {in this case it would be your card reader--Lou} and then click Properties.

3. On the AutoPlay tab, click the multimedia content type you want to
    change {in this case it would be 'Pictures'--Lou}.

4. Under Actions, click the action you want Windows to perform when it
    detects the media type you selected. {extraneous material deleted--Lou}

--
    Dale Beaudette
    Microsoft MVP _ Win XP
    Associate Expert

<end quoted message>

Hope that helps!

Lou
    Lou Guest

Thanks, Lou. I figured that there was a better way. Now, I just hope
    that Deda comes back. :-)

Vicky Guest

Thanks everyone! I had gone through the archives and found the way to fix it within Elements. But I am going to try to do it per Lou's "Google Search" As far as reinstalling the software for the reader I tried that, only to find out with XP, you don't use that step. So I went to Best Buy and bought a new Sandisk reader and it's virtually the same. But I have PSE subdued and that's the main thing.
    You guys are great!!!!!!!!! I didn't check back sooner, because I figured I'd get about the same help I did calling tech support! Which was none!!!!
    Deda_Chase@adobeforums.com Guest