Professional Web Applications Themes

doent does not show up as pdf - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi. I created a doent in Illustrator that is 18 ft. wide x 9 ft. tall. I than saved it as a pdf to see how it looks but nothing shows up when the pdf is open. First of all, it's completely blank. And secondly, the size shows to be 200 inches wide x 108 inches tall so it's even missing 16 inches on the width. I am betting that the problem is somewhere in the print setup but when I try to do a print setup, it doesn't give me an option for a custom size. It only gives ...

  1. #1

    Default doent does not show up as pdf

    Hi. I created a doent in Illustrator that is 18 ft. wide x 9 ft. tall. I than saved it as a pdf to see how it looks but nothing shows up when the pdf is open. First of all, it's completely blank. And secondly, the size shows to be 200 inches wide x 108 inches tall so it's even missing 16 inches on the width. I am betting that the problem is somewhere in the print setup but when I try to do a print setup, it doesn't give me an option for a custom size. It only gives me options of standard paper and envelope sizes. There is something that says custom postscript but I tried that and it didn't work. Also, I can see the page tiling as a small 8 1/2 x 11. Could you tell me what to do so that I can see the pdf? Thanks, Diane
    Diane Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: doent does not show up as pdf

    Did you save-as a PDF or print to a PDF? Your post implies both.

    Why do you have to save as PDF "to see how it looks?"
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I saved it as a pdf. I need to email the pdf to someone else so that they can see it. They don't have the capabilities to see it as an eps or ai file. As to the original question, however, do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks so much! Diane
    Diane Guest

  4. #4

    So if you saved as PDF, how did "print setup" come into the equation?

    There are no such dialogs when saving as PDF.

    I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but I might guess that the size might play into it somehow.

    I am also guessing that your file is all vector, otherwise saving as PDF would probably produce a file too big to email.

    If I was you I would do this:

    Save your Illy file as a .ai file with PDF compatibility (FYI recent versions of Acrobat/Adobe Reader will open a .ai file saved this way).

    Open a new doent in InDesign (assuming you have ID) that is 1/10 the size of the Illy file, place said Illy file at 10% and export a screen optimized PDF.
    John_Slate@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Diane,

    Which Illy version?

    Which part of the artwork is within the artboard (page)?

    What happens if you save the lot to a new layer and shrinks it to fit the artboard?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I tried saving it as an .ai file and opening in Acrobat but it was still "not there." I guess the size could have something to do with it, huh?

    Is there anyway to make the artboard the size of the doent? I thought that was what I was doing but it doesn't seem to have worked. I really don't use Illustrator too often so I am not totally comfortable with it. (By the way, the version I have is Illustrator 10.)

    My original question as to why it won't show up as a pdf ... could it be because of the large size? Thanks, Diane
    Diane Guest

  7. #7

    Diane,

    Supposing everything is vector, in 10 the foolproof way is to make the doent the size of the artboard and place it within the page boundaries.

    The PDF will then hold the whole doent and resize it to the final output device page size.

    Best control is obtained by printing to PDF rather than saving.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest