Professional Web Applications Themes

doent extensions - Macromedia Freehand

We are in the process of updating all files to have the dot 3 type extension on them. Currently we are using Freehand 10 on a Mac. I have seen the datatypes of: AGD2 AGD1 AGD3 IPTC Does anyone know which datatype goes with which version of Freehand? I believe IPTC is Freehand 10, but that is a guess. Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default doent extensions

    We are in the process of updating all files to have the dot 3 type extension on
    them. Currently we are using Freehand 10 on a Mac.
    I have seen the datatypes of:
    AGD2
    AGD1
    AGD3
    IPTC
    Does anyone know which datatype goes with which version of Freehand?
    I believe IPTC is Freehand 10, but that is a guess.
    Thanks

    ewok Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: doent extensions

    Ian Kelleigh charted the FH file types here:
    [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week055.html[/url]

    Freehand 10 is AGD5, FHMX is AGD6. I believe these file types began as
    'Aldus Graphics Doent' because FH was originally an Aldus application.

    IPTC is not a file format. It indicates the presence of data containing
    date, author, caption info, etc., in a format that conforms to the
    'International Press Telecommunications Council'. Early versions of FH
    didn't support this. See the online FH Help files for your version.

    Judy Arndt

    ewok wrote:
    > We are in the process of updating all files to have the dot 3 type extension
    > on
    > them. Currently we are using Freehand 10 on a Mac.
    > I have seen the datatypes of:
    > AGD2
    > AGD1
    > AGD3
    > IPTC
    > Does anyone know which datatype goes with which version of Freehand?
    > I believe IPTC is Freehand 10, but that is a guess.
    > Thanks

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    Those are the type and creator codes used by pre OS X Macs. I
    believe the dot three extension for Freehand MX is .fh11

    If you put that extension on a file then a PC will recognize the
    file type. PC's don't understand the type and creator codes.

    dp

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Ian Kelleigh charted the FH file types here:
    > [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week055.html[/url]
    >
    > Freehand 10 is AGD5, FHMX is AGD6. I believe these file types began as
    > 'Aldus Graphics Doent' because FH was originally an Aldus application.
    >
    > IPTC is not a file format. It indicates the presence of data containing
    > date, author, caption info, etc., in a format that conforms to the
    > 'International Press Telecommunications Council'. Early versions of FH
    > didn't support this. See the online FH Help files for your version.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >

    > ewok wrote:
    >

    >>We are in the process of updating all files to have the dot 3 type extension
    >>on
    >>them. Currently we are using Freehand 10 on a Mac.
    >>I have seen the datatypes of:
    >>AGD2
    >>AGD1
    >>AGD3
    >>IPTC
    >>Does anyone know which datatype goes with which version of Freehand?
    >>I believe IPTC is Freehand 10, but that is a guess.
    >>Thanks

    David Plank Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the information.
    That link <
    [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week055.html[/url] > is
    great.
    I have the file type code and need to add the creator code or extension for
    the PC to correctly see the Mac artwork. This link provided all that
    information and a how to also.
    Now to get to work and start updating.
    Thanks again

    ewok Guest

  5. #5

    Default changing layers glitch

    As a long time Freehand user, I am getting accustomed to the
    differences in MX. One thing that has me baffled is changing
    layers. With an object selected, I click numerous times on a
    different layer with no effect. I know the preference about
    remember layers. But that is not what I am encountering. It seems
    like FH doesn't want to change a layer. Is there a new way of
    doing this that I don't know about?

    Mac Dual 1.25 G4 with 1 Gig RAM; OSX 1.3 and FHMX 11.0.1 Build 67.

    dp
    David Plank Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: changing layers glitch

    David,
    Are you using a Wacom tablet and pen? There has been a known issue with all
    versions of FHMX/Mac OSX. As a Wacom tablet fan, I find it very frustrating
    to have to switch to the mouse.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fhmx_emerging__issue[/url]
    s.htm

    Judy Arndt

    David Plank wrote:
    > As a long time Freehand user, I am getting accustomed to the
    > differences in MX. One thing that has me baffled is changing
    > layers. With an object selected, I click numerous times on a
    > different layer with no effect. I know the preference about
    > remember layers. But that is not what I am encountering. It seems
    > like FH doesn't want to change a layer. Is there a new way of
    > doing this that I don't know about?
    >
    > Mac Dual 1.25 G4 with 1 Gig RAM; OSX 1.3 and FHMX 11.0.1 Build 67.
    >

    > dp
    Judy Arndt Guest

  7. #7

    Yes, I use a Wacom tablet but the problem occurs when I use the
    mouse. In some instances, I keep clicking on a layer to change an
    objects layer and Freehand seems to ignore the clicks.

    dp

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > David,
    > Are you using a Wacom tablet and pen? There has been a known issue with all
    > versions of FHMX/Mac OSX. As a Wacom tablet fan, I find it very frustrating
    > to have to switch to the mouse.
    >
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fhmx_emerging__issue[/url]
    > s.htm
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    >
    > David Plank wrote:
    >

    >>As a long time Freehand user, I am getting accustomed to the
    >>differences in MX. One thing that has me baffled is changing
    >>layers. With an object selected, I click numerous times on a
    >>different layer with no effect. I know the preference about
    >>remember layers. But that is not what I am encountering. It seems
    >>like FH doesn't want to change a layer. Is there a new way of
    >>doing this that I don't know about?
    >>
    >>Mac Dual 1.25 G4 with 1 Gig RAM; OSX 1.3 and FHMX 11.0.1 Build 67.
    >>

    >>dp

    David Plank Guest

  8. #8

    You can still do a search for file 'Type' in Mac OS X Find. Search for items
    whose Type (from pop-up menu) is AGD6 (case sensitive) will return all FHMX
    files. The string 'AGD6' is present in the FHMX/OS X file.

    I'd be interested to know if this is a Unix feature brought into OS X or a
    holdover from OS 9. Anyone know?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

  9. #9

    According to David Pogue in the excellent tome OSX - THE MISSING
    MANUAL:

    "In Unix, type and creator codes are unheard of. Instead, what
    determines which program opens when you double-click a doent
    is its file name extension, just as in Windows."

    OSX uses two methods two determine a file's application. First it
    looks for type and creator codes, then it looks at the extension.

    dp

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > You can still do a search for file 'Type' in Mac OS X Find. Search for items
    > whose Type (from pop-up menu) is AGD6 (case sensitive) will return all FHMX
    > files. The string 'AGD6' is present in the FHMX/OS X file.
    >
    > I'd be interested to know if this is a Unix feature brought into OS X or a
    > holdover from OS 9. Anyone know?
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    David Plank Guest

  10. #10

    How many clicks does it take to get it to change layers?

    I'm afraid that I'm not quite as logical as Judy and just keep stabbing
    away with my pen until Freehand relents and does as I wish. So far the
    tablet has held up to the extra workload.

    David Plank wrote:
    > Yes, I use a Wacom tablet but the problem occurs when I use the
    > mouse. In some instances, I keep clicking on a layer to change an
    > objects layer and Freehand seems to ignore the clicks.
    >
    > dp
    >
    > Judy Arndt wrote:
    >
    >> David, Are you using a Wacom tablet and pen? There has been a known
    >> issue with all versions of FHMX/Mac OSX. As a Wacom tablet fan, I
    >> find it very frustrating to have to switch to the mouse.
    >>
    >> [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fhmx_emerging__issue[/url]
    >>

    >> s.htm
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt
    >>
    >> David Plank wrote:
    >>

    >>> As a long time Freehand user, I am getting accustomed to the
    >>> differences in MX. One thing that has me baffled is changing
    >>> layers. With an object selected, I click numerous times on a
    >>> different layer with no effect. I know the preference about
    >>> remember layers. But that is not what I am encountering. It seems
    >>> like FH doesn't want to change a layer. Is there a new way of
    >>> doing this that I don't know about?
    >>>
    >>> Mac Dual 1.25 G4 with 1 Gig RAM; OSX 1.3 and FHMX 11.0.1 Build
    >>> 67.
    >>>

    >>> dp
    >>

    > 1205-8042-3000-3082
    Wes Rand Guest

  11. #11

    It's not the 'Remember layer info' pref you need to check, but Panels >
    'Clicking layer name moves selected objects'. Do you have that one checked?
    You might be clicking for a very, very long time if you don't. :)

    Judy Arndt

  12. #12

    Yes, that is checked. My problem is not unique. I know others
    that have difficulty changing an object's layer. Version 9 did
    not have the problem. Now, I have to repeatedly click before the
    layer is changed. And then FH thinks I want to change the layer
    name so I have to press the return key. It is such a simple
    function but the poor implementation is frustrating.

    dp

  13. #13

    I have the same problem with the layers palette. 'Clicking layer name
    moves selected objects' does not work.

    David Plank wrote:
    > Yes, that is checked. My problem is not unique. I know others that have
    > difficulty changing an object's layer. Version 9 did not have the
    > problem. Now, I have to repeatedly click before the layer is changed.
    > And then FH thinks I want to change the layer name so I have to press
    > the return key. It is such a simple function but the poor implementation
    > is frustrating.
    >
    > dp
    >
    > Judy Arndt wrote:
    >
    >> It's not the 'Remember layer info' pref you need to check, but Panels >
    >> 'Clicking layer name moves selected objects'. Do you have that one
    >> checked?
    >> You might be clicking for a very, very long time if you don't. :)
    >>
    >> Judy Arndt

    Ruben Guest