Professional Web Applications Themes

Doent Imaging and Management - Mac Applications & Software

Hi there, I've been unsuccessful with my Googling so i'm hoping some of you may be able to give me some pointers. I'm looking for doent imaging software for MacOS X. Previously I used Microsoft Office XP Doent Imaging so i'm looking for something like that or Scansoft's PaperPort application. Any suggestions? Thanks, Paul C...

  1. #1

    Default Doent Imaging and Management

    Hi there,

    I've been unsuccessful with my Googling so i'm hoping some of you may be
    able to give me some pointers. I'm looking for doent imaging software
    for MacOS X. Previously I used Microsoft Office XP Doent Imaging so
    i'm looking for something like that or Scansoft's PaperPort application.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Paul C

    Paul Curren Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Doent Imaging and Management

    In article <3F1D0936.4070706cisco.com>,
    Paul Curren <pcurrencisco.com> wrote:
    > I've been unsuccessful with my Googling so i'm hoping some of you may be
    > able to give me some pointers. I'm looking for doent imaging software
    > for MacOS X. Previously I used Microsoft Office XP Doent Imaging so
    > i'm looking for something like that or Scansoft's PaperPort application.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    Clean up scanned images in GraphicConverter, then save as PDF and manage
    with Acrobat. Acrobat 5 was garbage, but 6 is about halfway decent.

    --
    Linc Davis

    The reply address is valid but will expire within 48 hours.
    Linc Davis Guest

  3. #3

    I've been coming to a conclusion similar to that.

    To be able to properly search across the PDF files I guess i'd need
    something to OCR the scans before outputting to PDF files (otherwise it
    would just be a PDF containing images of each page). Any suggestions for
    that?

    While this is all manageable it's just a shame there's no Mac
    application that does each doent in a single step - on the PC it was
    a "fire and forget" process which was nice.

    Cheers,

    Paul C

  4. #4

    "Paul Curren" <pcurrencisco.com> wrote in message
    > To be able to properly search across the PDF files I guess i'd need
    > something to OCR the scans before outputting to PDF files (otherwise it
    > would just be a PDF containing images of each page). Any suggestions for
    > that?
    Not tried the Mac version, but on the PC Acrobat could do that with a
    (freely) downloadable plug-in. Might want to check the Adobe site.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian McCall Guest

  5. #5

    In article <ld-temp-f7xd-944559.21564822072003text.giganews.com>,
    Linc Davis <ld-temp-f7xdpobox.com> wrote:
    > In article <3F1D0936.4070706cisco.com>,
    > Paul Curren <pcurrencisco.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I've been unsuccessful with my Googling so i'm hoping some of you may be
    > > able to give me some pointers. I'm looking for doent imaging software
    > > for MacOS X. Previously I used Microsoft Office XP Doent Imaging so
    > > i'm looking for something like that or Scansoft's PaperPort application.
    I was a huge PaperPort addict in OS 9. Now in OS X I use OmniPage Pro X,
    which will scan, OCR if you want, and save as PDF. I don't know how
    accurate it is compared to Doent Imaging, but that is what I find is
    the best on the Mac.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  6. #6

    Thanks...i'm having a quick scan of OmniPage on the website at the moment.

    I think it's pretty similar to what came bundled with my scanner
    (ReadIris 7) so i'll give it a shot before deciding whether I need to
    shell out for OminPage.

    Paul C

    Phil Lefebvre wrote:
    >In article <ld-temp-f7xd-944559.21564822072003text.giganews.com>,
    > Linc Davis <ld-temp-f7xdpobox.com> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <3F1D0936.4070706cisco.com>,
    >> Paul Curren <pcurrencisco.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I've been unsuccessful with my Googling so i'm hoping some of you may be
    >>>able to give me some pointers. I'm looking for doent imaging software
    >>>for MacOS X. Previously I used Microsoft Office XP Doent Imaging so
    >>>i'm looking for something like that or Scansoft's PaperPort application.
    >>>

    >I was a huge PaperPort addict in OS 9. Now in OS X I use OmniPage Pro X,
    >which will scan, OCR if you want, and save as PDF. I don't know how
    >accurate it is compared to Doent Imaging, but that is what I find is
    >the best on the Mac.

    Paul Curren Guest

  7. #7

    In article <3F1FFEB4.1060309cisco.com>,
    Paul Curren <pcurrencisco.com> wrote:
    > Thanks...i'm having a quick scan of OmniPage on the website at the moment.
    >
    > I think it's pretty similar to what came bundled with my scanner
    > (ReadIris 7) so i'll give it a shot before deciding whether I need to
    > shell out for OminPage.
    Before paying for Omnipage, consider that it's now owned by Scansoft.
    They're not Mac developers. They buy the rights to Mac software that
    would otherwise be abandoned, and have neither the ability nor the
    inclination to maintain it. That's what they did with PaperPort as well
    as Omnipage. When Omnipage breaks under a future version of the Mac OS,
    expect no help from them. I don't use OCR much, but in Acrobat 6 it's
    about as good as OCR ever is, and if you're going to manage PDF archives
    you need Acrobat anyway. I'm not an advocate for it; there just isn't
    anything else.

  8. #8

    Thanks again for peoples input. Just by way of conclusion for the
    moment, here's what i'm doing...

    I've discovered that the PDF format seems to support a feature where by
    an image and text can be layered within the one doent i.e. I can scan
    a page and have an exact representation of that page image as the visual
    display within the PDF. However, in a layer beneath, the PDF seems to
    hold the text of the scan (i've OCR'd it previously). If you do textual
    searches within the PDF it performs this search on the text layer, and
    makes a pretty good attempt at mapping the selection box onto the
    displayed doent image on the visual layer.

    I'm not sure of the technicalities of how this is done, but in usage
    that's what it appears to be doing.

    ReadIris Pro 7 appears to understand (or make use of this feature of PDF
    files) and so creates these doents automatically from the scanner.

    The version of PDF doents created by ReadIris Pro 7 are compatible
    with MacOS 10.2 Finder to the extent that you can search their contents
    directly.Therefore, all my doent archiving needs are currently met, I
    have exact representations of all my doents as PDF files, with the
    capability to search amongst the contents of the doents.

    The only slight glitch is that PDF won't support 1 bit (black and white)
    images for it's display layer - meaning that the scanning time is
    greater than it would have to be, and the resultant PDF's are larger
    than they need be.

    I dare say at somepoint in the future I may find this "half-assed"
    solution a bit limiting, and then I may well need to consider the
    Acrobat recommendation, but for now this seems to do the business.

    Cheers,

    Paul C

    Linc Davis wrote:
    >In article <3F1FFEB4.1060309cisco.com>,
    > Paul Curren <pcurrencisco.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks...i'm having a quick scan of OmniPage on the website at the moment.
    >>
    >>I think it's pretty similar to what came bundled with my scanner
    >>(ReadIris 7) so i'll give it a shot before deciding whether I need to
    >>shell out for OminPage.
    >>

    >Before paying for Omnipage, consider that it's now owned by Scansoft.
    >They're not Mac developers. They buy the rights to Mac software that
    >would otherwise be abandoned, and have neither the ability nor the
    >inclination to maintain it. That's what they did with PaperPort as well
    >as Omnipage. When Omnipage breaks under a future version of the Mac OS,
    >expect no help from them. I don't use OCR much, but in Acrobat 6 it's
    >about as good as OCR ever is, and if you're going to manage PDF archives
    >you need Acrobat anyway. I'm not an advocate for it; there just isn't
    >anything else.

    Paul Curren Guest