Professional Web Applications Themes

Doent looks fine on screen, but warpedtext makes box when printed. - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I am using CS2 on an XP machine. I created a doent that has a placed graphic, some text, a light blue background, and a headline. The headline is what's giving me problems. I used Create Outlines on the original text for it, then I applied Inner Glow and Drop Shadow and used the Free Transform tool. It looks great on the screen but when I print, there is a box around the headline that is a slightly darker shade of blue as the background. Almost like instead of 15% blue, I'm getting 30% blue in just that boxed area. ...

  1. #1

    Default Doent looks fine on screen, but warpedtext makes box when printed.

    I am using CS2 on an XP machine. I created a doent that has a placed graphic, some text, a light blue background, and a headline.

    The headline is what's giving me problems. I used Create Outlines on the original text for it, then I applied Inner Glow and Drop Shadow and used the Free Transform tool. It looks great on the screen but when I print, there is a box around the headline that is a slightly darker shade of blue as the background. Almost like instead of 15% blue, I'm getting 30% blue in just that boxed area.

    The placed graphic (which isn't rectangular) also gave me the same problem but a quick clipping mask fixed it.

    The help files seemed to indicate that rasterization settings could be the problem. I changed them to 300dpi and Transparent, and Anti-Alias and Clipping Mask are now checked. There is no space added around the object.

    Any ideas how I can get this to print right?

    Thanks,
    -Sharon L.
    Sharon_Levasseur@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    BTW, I tested some more and have determined that the problem is caused by either the Inner Glow and/or Drop Shadow. (Both are from the Effects menu.) If I don't use those effects the problem goes away.

  3. #3

    Sharon, have a look at this old thread (I had guessed it was about the drop shadow): <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128.3bba7897>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Sharon,

    Here is another old thread that even has an explanation of what is going on under the hood:

    Teri Pettit, "URGENT!! Printing problems with shadowed text and transparent image" #5, 26 Aug 2005 9:27 pm </cgi-bin/webx?13.3bbc1ba5/4>
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Jacob, that did the trick! :)

    Thanks Teri!

    -Sharon
    Sharon_Levasseur@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sharon, you are welcome.

    Teri, I had both in my archive but I overlooked the best one. Next time I will be more careful.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Jacob,

    No, yours was better, really. Both threads mention the Rasterize setting in the Transparency Flattening options, but the thread you linked to also mentions turning off color management inside a Postscript laser printer, which the thread I linked to didn't. (I wasn't even aware that Postscript printers could be set to do the same kind of printer-managed color conversion that most inkjet printers do by default. I'm not an expert on the printing side of Illustrator at all. My forte is the art creation tools. And my Postscript knowledge is mostly of 1988 vintage.)
    Teri Guest