Professional Web Applications Themes

Does Acrobat Plug-In for Safari work on Intel Macs? - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Even though my preferences are set to use Acrobat Standard in the browser, every PDF page uses Preview. Do I need to re-install Acrobat? OS X 10.4.7, Macbook Pro 17", 2 Gb RAM, QuickTime Pro 7.1.2...

  1. #1

    Default Does Acrobat Plug-In for Safari work on Intel Macs?

    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    no. on OSX.3.9. select a Group of Pdf's (more than two) do getinfo.

    middle way down locate button that says "Open with" choose Acrobat or Reader.

    Then there is a setence that says Use this application to open all doents like this. Below is a button that says Change all.
    Click button.

    OSX.4 and up is different.

    Choose multiple files as above (again more than two).

    Instead of opening Get info directly hold option key down (or right click the higlighted files.

    a Menu pops up that say something abou getinfo Group or some such.

    opening by using getinfo. opens up all the files individually.

    Then repeat the rest of the instructions above.

    This new way can not be undone. its hard wired into X.4. Why they wanted to change a good thing I'll never know.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Wait...I know the plug-in worked in OS X 10.4 on PPC. All my PDFs have Acrobat Standard as the default open with application. How does this affect the PDF plug-in in the browser?
    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I don't use Safari that much, many sites I use just don't work well with it. I belive there is supposed to be a way to set The PdfPlugin to open all Pdfs.

    If you have quicktime make sure its not set to open and view Pdf's.

    Another thing you might try is to locate the PDF Plugin and make sure its installed in the correct > Library > Internet-Plugins Folder.

    There are usually two one at the main level you can view when you double click on the icon of the drive your using. It works better there becaus "All" users can use it there. then the is one in your user folder. Username > Library > Internet Plugins.

    If there are two copies (a copy in each Internet Plugins Folder) remove all but one. make sure to keep the newest version and place it in the top level libarary > Internet-Plugins folder.

    If it doesn't work try moving it to the one in the Username > Libarary Internet -Plugins folder. And Try.

    Once you get it to work. Leave in That one and next update make sure it updates to that folder.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Ah, the QuickTime MIME settings might just be the answer...let me give it a whirl...
    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Seems unlikely that it could work. Acrobat isn't supported in an Intel
    mac, but some find it runs. But generally a plug-in has to be the same
    architecture as the main program, so I wouldn't expect an Intel Safari
    to be able to use a PPC plug-in, unless there's some magic glue I'm
    not aware of.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I thought Internet plugins were supposed to be written in their own language only readable exclusively by Web Browsers/email/newsreaders. Something like Java/ Javascript/ XML or HTML.

    "IF" They are, doesn't make any difference whether they were written on a Mac, PC, Linux. They should be universal.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If they were, they would be portable. Except that they aren't.

  9. #9

    Might've known! Looks like though even though they are written in UNIX. They should be readable that that way, Unless Apple is once again using a different UNIX perhaps Xfree86,(or X86?), I hope not!
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Nope..PDFs still display in Safari using Preview (I think). There are no navigation buttons or anything else.
    Scott_Melendez@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    If you can set Safari to run under Rosetta, you might be in luck. I know you can
    do something with some apps where you can have then run in OS X or classic, but
    that may not be possible under Rosetta.

    Mike
    MikeKazlow@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    A plug-in becomes part of the program it belongs to, so you can't mix
    Mac Intel and Mac PPC plug-ins and programs together. Rosetta only
    takes care of a whole program, not liking between programs and
    plug-ins. (Note: so far as I know; I haven't found this in developer
    doentation from Apple yet).

    But also, the Safari plug-in is very specific to Safari, and wouldn't
    work with any other browser. There is a "universal" browser plug-in
    interface created by Netscape - not binary universal, but browser
    universal - but I don't think Safari uses it. Or, if it does, Adobe
    had to add more to it.

  13. #13

    Does Acrobat Plug-In for Safari work on Intel Macs?

    No, it doesn't.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    In that case look for PDFViewer on Google and if one comes up for Schubert out of Germany see if he has created a Universal Binary version if so That will get your PDF's going. You won't be able to fill out forms unless he has since added forms fill out.

    <http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/>
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    In that case look for PDFViewer on Google

    Why? Apple already has it built in.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    How do they have it built in?

    Apple uses a older version of Acrobat (by gentelman's agreement in OSX).

    OSX.3 uses 1.3 v4 Acrobat.

    OSX.4 non Intel uses 1.4 version 5.

    They have this gentleman's agreement because they don't want to tick of Adobe like the did MicroSoft. Because Apple ticked of MS, MS killed off IE for Mac, and Windows Media Player for Mac.

    This agreement was reported both in MacAddict and MacWorld Magazines, when OSX came out. IF Apple had used the most up to date Acrobat Technology, then it would be no point for Adobe to continue Acrobat Development for the Mac.

    <my opinion> They are skating on thin ice wit Acrobat continuing development of the Mac version, with comeing out of BootCamp and allowing Windows to be installed on a Mac. IF Mac can now load and run window's what the point in continuing the mac version <My opinion off>
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    How do they have it built in?

    You'll have to ask Apple. How can you make the statements you have if you don't have an Intel Mac to validate the current functionality?
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Notice the last part I bracketed with My Opinion. Its "my opinion". I stongly feel that the worse thing Apple did was allow any leeway for anyone to Run Windows on a Mac. Not because, I hate windows. (Which I don't like Windows. To me is To simplistic, allowing anyone to hack into a system, that has any intellgence. Its to open. Makes it easy for Viruses and Malware to be designed andeployed.) But because Windows can now be loaded on a Mac, what's the point of developing a Mac version of software. I just feel within 5-10 years Apple will be gone or morphed in to a iPod iTunes Company and They will no longer be in the computer business. And my next computer will end up being a PC.

    The first part I know about the versions because I have both Panther and Tiger (on different computers and opening PDF's create the Apple Print menu Create PDF button the version is always 1.3 on Panther and 1.4 on Tiger. And I did read about the agrrement in the magazines when OSX.1 came out.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    right, but the behavior on in Intel Mac is very different. Do you hvae an Intel Mac, like the original poster stated?
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest