Professional Web Applications Themes

does each user need a copy of contribute? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

I don't yet use Contribute, I'm trying to understand how it works. I am a webmaster and in my office about 10 people could update content directly if they had access. Currently they send updates to me and I use Dreamweaver. If I wanted them to do the updates themselves, would each person need a copy of contribute on their computer? Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default does each user need a copy of contribute?

    I don't yet use Contribute, I'm trying to understand how it works. I am a
    webmaster and in my office about 10 people could update content directly if
    they had access. Currently they send updates to me and I use Dreamweaver. If I
    wanted them to do the updates themselves, would each person need a copy of
    contribute on their computer? Thanks.

    mauipono Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: does each user need a copy of contribute?

    I'm in the same positiion and awaiting a reply to this...
    Additionally it seems that dreamweaver itself changes a little when I used
    contribute... Ticks and locks appearing! I think ther is more too it than
    originally explained in doentation.

    richnz Guest

  3. #3

    Contribute is a desktop application, licensed by "seat". It needs to be
    installed on every machine where someone will sit and work on the site.
    If those ten people can share one computer- you need one license. If they
    need it installed on ten different machines- you need ten licenses.

    When a site is "contribute enabled", it tells dreamweaver MX or MX 2004 to
    turn on checkin/checkout to prevent overwriting newer content. Those are the
    ..LCK lock files. It also takes a little longer to ftp up files, because it
    creates backup files to enable doing "rollbacks" to previous page versions.

    Just remember to always check back in any files you've worked on in
    dreamweaver before closing it down. Any files you leave checked out- no one
    else can touch or work on.
    > I don't yet use Contribute, I'm trying to understand how it works. I am a
    > webmaster and in my office about 10 people could update content directly if
    > they had access. Currently they send updates to me and I use Dreamweaver. If I
    > wanted them to do the updates themselves, would each person need a copy of
    > contribute on their computer? Thanks.

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    so one license doesn't cover one admin and one user? you'd think they'd have this on the FAQ, but they prolly don't want ppl to know you have to buy 2 just to start.
    greybeat Guest

  5. #5

    I agree they should have this clearly stated. Better yet, Dreamweaver should
    allow the user to administer Contribute 3 from within Dreamweaver as you can
    with Contribute 2. I asked once before why they removed this functionality and
    did not get an answer. I have had to purchase my own copy of Contribute just to
    administer the users but I don't use it for anything else.

    Originally posted by: greybeat
    so one license doesn't cover one admin and one user? you'd think they'd have
    this on the FAQ, but they prolly don't want ppl to know you have to buy 2 just
    to start.

    saanich Guest

  6. #6

    > I asked once before why they removed this functionality and
    > did not get an answer.
    If you asked here, that's not surprising. Did you go directly to
    Macromedia?

    Anyhow, it was removed from DW (as I understand it) to decouple the release
    of each. With it removed, a new or point release of either could be made
    without having to do a point release on both.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "saanich" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I agree they should have this clearly stated. Better yet, Dreamweaver
    > should
    > allow the user to administer Contribute 3 from within Dreamweaver as you
    > can
    > with Contribute 2. I asked once before why they removed this functionality
    > and
    > did not get an answer. I have had to purchase my own copy of Contribute
    > just to
    > administer the users but I don't use it for anything else.
    >
    > Originally posted by: greybeat
    > so one license doesn't cover one admin and one user? you'd think they'd
    > have
    > this on the FAQ, but they prolly don't want ppl to know you have to buy 2
    > just
    > to start.

    Murray *TMM* Guest