Professional Web Applications Themes

Does Flash Player only work with web content? - Macromedia Flash Player

Thought I'd better start a new thread on this, as my previous question has shifted emphasis. Does the free Flash Player download only provide Flash capability within the web browser? Or can it play local SWFs? If not, do I need the whole Flash product to just play?...

  1. #1

    Default Does Flash Player only work with web content?

    Thought I'd better start a new thread on this, as my previous question has
    shifted emphasis.
    Does the free Flash Player download only provide Flash capability within the
    web browser? Or can it play local SWFs? If not, do I need the whole Flash
    product to just play?

    Alan Cross Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Does Flash Player only work with web content?

    To my knoledge, the flash plugin should allow you to run .swf files, you don't need to buy the authoring software. YOu can always drag downloaded .swfs into a browser to play. I hope that helps.
    atlacatl Guest

  3. #3

    > Does the free Flash Player download only provide Flash capability within
    > the
    > web browser? Or can it play local SWFs? If not, do I need the whole Flash
    > product to just play?
    yes, yes, and no

    YES: The player you download is the activex control and Netscape plug-in
    that browsers use .. not a separate program. So yes it is effectively for
    use in the browser only.

    YES: You can fire local SWFs using it by opening them within your browser.
    It is only for web content.

    NO: You do not need a stand-alone flash player (that comes with the Flash
    product) to view SWF content (local or on the web)
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  4. #4

    oops - sorry, I just posted pretty much this same question when I read this
    posting..

    I have a similar situation, and yes, I *can* drag the swf into a browser and
    it comes up... but it doesn't work properly ... my swf calls some asp pages
    which retrieve data, and even in the browser I still get the Security Settings
    dialog box, which wants to go to the internet...

    since I don't have an internet connection on that machine, I cannot change the
    settings. any ideas?

    ferdinand berfel Guest

  5. #5

    If your swf calls up asp pages, how do you expect it to work anyway?
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  6. #6

    I call the asp pages through my own local host /IIS - but that doesn't imply I have connection to [url]www.macromedia.com[/url]....

    ferdinand berfel Guest

  7. #7

    Then use it in the browser .. it should work fine. It would be much less
    likely to work if in a standalone player.

  8. #8

    Thanks for the reply. I agree - it does seem like it should work.

    ferdinand berfel Guest