Professional Web Applications Themes

Does iPhoto actually work for anyone? - Mac Applications & Software

In article <egsDVwDOQV+ielias.decus.ch>, [email]p_stureelias.decus.ch[/email] (Paul Sture) wrote: > Is there some magic involved here that iPhoto cannot download more than > 47 photos from my camera? (Canon Ixus V3) I use a Canon G2 and an S200. Both work flawlessly when downloading hundreds of photos at a go. I believe you when you say that yours does not, but that someone has a working setup should give a bit of hope. The only problems I had were when the camera had run out of battery power while taking a photo, leaving a corrupted photo in RAM. This was obvious on ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Does iPhoto actually work for anyone?

    In article <egsDVwDOQV+ielias.decus.ch>,
    [email]p_stureelias.decus.ch[/email] (Paul Sture) wrote:
    > Is there some magic involved here that iPhoto cannot download more than
    > 47 photos from my camera? (Canon Ixus V3)
    I use a Canon G2 and an S200. Both work flawlessly when downloading
    hundreds of photos at a go. I believe you when you say that yours does
    not, but that someone has a working setup should give a bit of hope.

    The only problems I had were when the camera had run out of battery
    power while taking a photo, leaving a corrupted photo in RAM. This was
    obvious on the small screen on the camera.

    Once those were deleted, it worked very well.
    > Can anyone please suggest a serious alternative to iPhoto?
    Did the Canon software work? I found it clunky compared to iPhoto, but
    it might at least give a way of getting to the pictures.
    > I have
    > unfortunately come to the conclusion that it is probably the most unreliable
    > piece of software I have come across in years.
    I have seen a number of people get good luck with canon cameras and
    iPhoto, so it might be worth looking for firmware updates for the
    camera, and perhaps trying a media reader.
    > A pity, since the main reason I bought this iBook was to process photos, and
    > it has brought me nothing but grief in that respect.
    Again, since it works for a number of people, there is some hope.

    Scott
    Scott Ellsworth Guest

  2. #2

    >> Is there some magic involved here that iPhoto cannot download more than
    >> 47 photos from my camera? (Canon Ixus V3)
    >
    >I use a Canon G2 and an S200. Both work flawlessly when downloading
    >hundreds of photos at a go.
    I had a problem with iPhoto and a Canon Digital Elph where iPhoto wouldn't
    download more than about 38 photos at a go.

    The problem turned out to be surprisingly easy--almost stupidly so--to fix.

    I just turned off the camera's "Shut down automatically when idle" feature. The
    Digital Elph has a firmware bug--while it is downloading pictures, it thinks
    it's idle.

    The problem wasn't with iPhoto at all. The camera was turning itself off to
    save battery power because the person who wrote the software inside the camera
    didn't think to check for activity on the USB port before switching off.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: [url]http://www.villaintees.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html[/url]

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <scott-A5EA35.13530930062003news.west.cox.net>,
    Scott Ellsworth <scottalodar.com> wrote:
    > In article <egsDVwDOQV+ielias.decus.ch>,
    > [email]p_stureelias.decus.ch[/email] (Paul Sture) wrote:
    >
    > > Is there some magic involved here that iPhoto cannot download more than
    > > 47 photos from my camera? (Canon Ixus V3)
    >
    > I use a Canon G2 and an S200. Both work flawlessly when downloading
    > hundreds of photos at a go. I believe you when you say that yours does
    > not, but that someone has a working setup should give a bit of hope.
    >
    > The only problems I had were when the camera had run out of battery
    > power while taking a photo, leaving a corrupted photo in RAM. This was
    > obvious on the small screen on the camera.
    >
    > Once those were deleted, it worked very well.
    >
    > > Can anyone please suggest a serious alternative to iPhoto?
    >
    > Did the Canon software work? I found it clunky compared to iPhoto, but
    > it might at least give a way of getting to the pictures.
    (snipped)

    .. . . I use a Canon G2 and a Kodak DC3400 with iPhoto - never had a
    problem. The software that came with the Canon is miserable though, and
    it wouldn't even load under Classic. You mention that you can download
    47 images into iPhoto though. Perhaps the 48th is corrupt, or is this
    restriction the case with all your other attempts at iPhoto downloads
    from the Ixus?

    Glenn
    GDB Guest