Professional Web Applications Themes

?Does 'Virtual Mac' work well for viudeo editing on a PC? - Mac Applications & Software

Maybe this is a more cost effective solution for imovie than buying a Powerbook? My experience is that imovie is the most user friendly video editor of all. Since used PC laptops are much less than equivalent Macs, why not use an IBM clone as a Mac for video editing? My hesitation about this idea is that when I had a Mac and tried using 'Virtual PC' to play strategy games it was close to hopeless - slow and full of problems, plus it gave me only 70%(?) of the monitor space. Anyone have experience using imovie2/3, FCP on a ...

  1. #1

    Default ?Does 'Virtual Mac' work well for viudeo editing on a PC?

    Maybe this is a more cost effective solution for imovie than buying a
    Powerbook?

    My experience is that imovie is the most user friendly video editor of
    all. Since used PC laptops are much less than equivalent Macs, why not
    use an IBM clone as a Mac for video editing?

    My hesitation about this idea is that when I had a Mac and tried using
    'Virtual PC' to play strategy games it was close to hopeless - slow
    and full of problems, plus it gave me only 70%(?) of the monitor
    space.

    Anyone have experience using imovie2/3, FCP on a PC notebook via
    Virtual Mac?
    Marian Guest

  2. #2

    In article <e807dbe9.0307141304.28b8f265posting.google.com >,
    [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    > Maybe this is a more cost effective solution for imovie than buying a
    > Powerbook?
    >
    > My experience is that imovie is the most user friendly video editor of
    > all. Since used PC laptops are much less than equivalent Macs, why not
    > use an IBM clone as a Mac for video editing?
    >
    > My hesitation about this idea is that when I had a Mac and tried using
    > 'Virtual PC' to play strategy games it was close to hopeless - slow
    > and full of problems, plus it gave me only 70%(?) of the monitor
    > space.
    >
    > Anyone have experience using imovie2/3, FCP on a PC notebook via
    > Virtual Mac?
    What is Virtual Mac? The only software I ever heard of by that name was
    something that was demo-ed but not released, several years ago, for
    BeOS. There's a project called vMac, but since it doesn't support
    anything more recent than System 7.5.5 it can't run iMovie. What is
    this Virtual Mac of which you speak?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]

  3. #3

    In article <e807dbe9.0307141304.28b8f265posting.google.com >,
    [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    > Maybe this is a more cost effective solution for imovie than buying a
    > Powerbook?
    >
    > My experience is that imovie is the most user friendly video editor of
    > all. Since used PC laptops are much less than equivalent Macs, why not
    > use an IBM clone as a Mac for video editing?
    >
    > My hesitation about this idea is that when I had a Mac and tried using
    > 'Virtual PC' to play strategy games it was close to hopeless - slow
    > and full of problems, plus it gave me only 70%(?) of the monitor
    > space.
    >
    > Anyone have experience using imovie2/3, FCP on a PC notebook via
    > Virtual Mac?
    a) I share Tom's lack of awareness of anything called "Virtual Mac."
    b) I have seen a few Mac emulators for other operating systems. None
    that tried to emulate anything even vaguely recent (I'm talking 200MHz
    604e) were useful.

    Gregory Weston Guest

  4. #4

    Gregory Weston <gwestonREMOVECAPSattbi.com> wrote in message news:<gwestonREMOVE-60880C.18475014072003netnews.attbi.com>...
    > In article <e807dbe9.0307141304.28b8f265posting.google.com >,
    > [email]postonly_2005[/email] (Marian) wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe this is a more cost effective solution for imovie than buying a
    > > Powerbook?
    > >
    > > My experience is that imovie is the most user friendly video editor of
    > > all. Since used PC laptops are much less than equivalent Macs, why not
    > > use an IBM clone as a Mac for video editing?
    > >
    > > My hesitation about this idea is that when I had a Mac and tried using
    > > 'Virtual PC' to play strategy games it was close to hopeless - slow
    > > and full of problems, plus it gave me only 70%(?) of the monitor
    > > space.
    > >
    > > Anyone have experience using imovie2/3, FCP on a PC notebook via
    > > Virtual Mac?
    >
    > a) I share Tom's lack of awareness of anything called "Virtual Mac."
    > b) I have seen a few Mac emulators for other operating systems. None
    > that tried to emulate anything even vaguely recent (I'm talking 200MHz
    > 604e) were useful.

    There is a freeware/open source app called Baslisk that works quite
    well but it emulates a
    MOT 68 type processor. It can run up to OS 8 or so. I run it on
    an 500 MHz Pentium at work and it does an adequate job. BUT there is
    no emulator out there for the Power PC so none of these emulators can
    run OS X. I forget but isn't iMovie OS X only ? Anyway even if not
    it won't run on anything less than OS 9 and none of these emulators
    can manage that. Also it would be dog slow doing something like iMove
    which strains even my 533 MHz dual G4 machine.

    To really do this you would need a card for the PC with a G3 or G4
    on it to emulate the hardware of the Mac and if you go that far an
    eMac is way cheaper. So just like Virtual PC if you have an app that
    needs real power (like Games on the PC or iMovie on the Mac) you gotta
    have the real hardware to get any reasonable performance.

    --jim
    Jim Schimpf Guest