Professional Web Applications Themes

Dogs and lenses - Photography

Has anyone else had a dog react to the USM on your lens? I was trying to take some pictures of a friend's chocolate lab and every time the lens focused he would jump up and run over to me and try to lick the lens. Weird, never had any other animal do that before. Drifter "I've been here, I've been there..."...

  1. #1

    Default Dogs and lenses

    Has anyone else had a dog react to the USM on your lens? I was trying
    to take some pictures of a friend's chocolate lab and every time the
    lens focused he would jump up and run over to me and try to lick the
    lens. Weird, never had any other animal do that before.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dogs and lenses

    No just usually the flash drives them crazy.
    Which lens? did it have IS?

    "Drifter" <com> wrote in message

    YoYo Guest

  3. #3

    Drifter wrote:

    It might gen high freqs that he can hear.

    It might be the AF assist lamp that's getting him excited.

    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    Excuse my ignorance, but what is USM?

    "Drifter" <com> wrote in message

    Sheldon Guest

  5. #5

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    I was wondering that, too. USM means Unsharp Mask to me.

    C Guest

  6. #6

    In article <cut6nd$ceu$gazeta.pl>, ca
    says...

    > It might gen high freqs that he can hear.
    >
    > It might be the AF assist lamp that's getting him excited.
    >

    >[/ref]

    I know the focus laser on my Sony cameras drives dogs and cats crazy!!! They
    get distracted by it and I loose the shot. (a little OT as they are not DSLR
    cameras)

    To get a shot I like I have to shut off the laser and use the focus assist on
    the Sony external flash unit (a simple red lamp that doesnt excite them), or
    brighten the room..

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  7. #7

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:27:44 -0800, "C J Campbell"
    <com> wrote:

    >I was wondering that, too. USM means Unsharp Mask to me.[/ref]

    Ultra Sonic Motors?

    Not a problem for 90% of Nikon users. I mean, who wants something that
    squeaks?

    --
    Owamanga!
    Owamanga Guest

  8. #8

    Sheldon wrote:

    UltraSound Mutt finder.

    Alan Guest

  9. #9

    C J Campbell wrote:

    > I was wondering that, too. USM means Unsharp Mask to me.[/ref]

    Ultra Sonic Motor ... Quiet (to us). Fast AF.

    Alan Guest

  10. #10

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    Laser?

    Ryan Guest

  11. #11

    In article <_jtQd.32026$t46.13861trndny04>, net says...

    > Laser?
    >

    >[/ref]
    Yes

    Some of the Sony cameras use a small low power laser to generate a 'Hash"
    patern on the subject to give the auto-focus something to focus on. It works
    to a distance of about 15 or 20 feet to allow focus in total darkness.

    It is visisble red light though so the dogs and cats can see it.. they tend
    to chase it and not sit still.

    The Sony external flash has a red lamp for focusing, not as effective, but
    the cats dont chase it.

    Larry Guest

  12. #12

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:21:20 -0500, "YoYo" <_> wrote:

    Canon 28-135 with IS.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  13. #13

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:34:13 -0500, Larry <net>
    wrote:

    >> It might gen high freqs that he can hear.
    >>
    >> It might be the AF assist lamp that's getting him excited.[/ref][/ref]

    I had the same thought... but the 10D doesn't have any AF assist lamp
    (when the flash isn't mounted).

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  14. #14

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:46:01 GMT, Owamanga <com> wrote:

    >>I was wondering that, too. USM means Unsharp Mask to me.[/ref]
    >
    >Ultra Sonic Motors?
    >
    >Not a problem for 90% of Nikon users. I mean, who wants something that
    >squeaks?[/ref]

    specifically this is the lens
    http://www.photo.net/ezshop/product?product_id=325

    and yes, USM means Ultrasonic Motor.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  15. #15

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:45:33 -0500, Drifter <com>
    wrote:

    A quick follow up. We tested this again by putting the camera low on
    a tripod and connecting it to a remote trigger. We put the camera on
    one side of the dog and I crouched on the other with the trigger. The
    instant I push the button (and the camera tries to focus) the dog pads
    over to the camera and tries to lick the lens.

    It only happens with my 28-135. He completely ignores the 50mm and
    the 18-35.

    Weird!

    Maybe it is the IS mechanism but I can't hear anything.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  16. #16

    Drifter wrote:

    The USM logo refers to the ultra-sonic motor which does the focusing.
    Although out of human hearing range, the motor driving frequency will
    sound like a dog-whistle to the dog. Probably, audible magnetostriction
    from the motor - same cause as the whistle from a TV set which young
    people can hear.

    Colin
    Colin Guest

  17. #17

    Drifter turn off the IS and if it still happens I would say the pets are
    hearing the lens USM. If it is the USM try manual focus, unless you dont
    mind a lens lick haha.

    "Drifter" <com> wrote in message

    YoYo Guest

  18. #18

    > Canon 28-135 with IS.
    >
    > Drifter
    > "I've been here, I've been there..."[/ref]

    Odd, my dog has never responded to either of our 28-135s, and he is the most
    aurally oriented dog I've ever seen. He can hear a bread wrapper from
    upstairs at the other end of the house...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  19. #19

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:59:39 +1300, Colin D
    <127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >The USM logo refers to the ultra-sonic motor which does the focusing.
    >Although out of human hearing range, the motor driving frequency will
    >sound like a dog-whistle to the dog. Probably, audible magnetostriction
    >from the motor - same cause as the whistle from a TV set which young
    >people can hear.
    >
    >Colin[/ref]

    Last follow up on this issue. Turned off the IS and the dog still
    reacts to that lens. Must be something specific to that lens (and/or
    that dog). Now we just laugh about it.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter Guest

  20. #20

    In article <com>, com
    says...

    > >The USM logo refers to the ultra-sonic motor which does the focusing.
    > >Although out of human hearing range, the motor driving frequency will
    > >sound like a dog-whistle to the dog. Probably, audible magnetostriction
    > >from the motor - same cause as the whistle from a TV set which young
    > >people can hear.
    > >
    > >Colin[/ref]
    >
    > Last follow up on this issue. Turned off the IS and the dog still
    > reacts to that lens. Must be something specific to that lens (and/or
    > that dog). Now we just laugh about it.
    >

    > Drifter
    > "I've been here, I've been there..."
    >[/ref]

    If I remember it correctly the Ultra-sonic motor is in the Focus system
    (maybe in the IS also) so to kill what the dog is hearing you'de have to shut
    off the FOCUS.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.