Professional Web Applications Themes

doing a transaction that is not logged - Oracle Server

Hello, AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that this is possible for some other databases. Thank you...

  1. #1

    Default doing a transaction that is not logged

    Hello,

    AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would
    like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will
    not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that
    this is possible for some other databases.

    Thank you
    Francis Drai Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: doing a transaction that is not logged

    Sorry I mean rollback segment not temporary tablespace

    Francis Drai wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would
    > like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will
    > not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that
    > this is possible for some other databases.
    >
    > Thank you
    Francis Drai Guest

  3. #3

    Dan,

    What do you mean by partionning? If you mean table partition I do not
    see the relationship with journalization. To my knowledge when I delete
    some records in a partitioned table I can rollback the transaction so
    the journalization is effective.

    Cheers

    Francis

    damorgan wrote:

    > Francis Drai wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would
    > > like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will
    > > not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that
    > > this is possible for some other databases.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    >
    > No.
    >
    > Go with Francis Drai's suggestion.
    >
    > And in the future look at partitioning.
    >
    > Dan Morgan
    Francis Drai Guest

  4. #4

    In article <uve9nstbfj12c4corp.supernews.com>, "Peter says...

    >Francis,
    >
    >If the number of records remaining after the delete is comparatively small
    >you might consider creating a new table from the old one (CREATE TABLE AS
    >SELECT), drop the old one and rename it.
    >This might turn out a lot faster.
    >
    >Peter
    Yup, but it would also mean any indexes, grants etc. get ed. Truncating
    then using insert would be better.

    Pete

    >"Francis Drai" <francis.draisita.int> schreef in bericht
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would
    >> like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will
    >> not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that
    >> this is possible for some other databases.
    >>
    >> Thank you

    HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

    Pete

    SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

    Pete Sharman Guest

  5. #5

    If you now mean 'can I do deletes without generating rollback' then the
    answer is most definitely not. You can't switch off rollback generation,
    because it's needed by Oracle (and any other users that might, in principle,
    be connected) for read-consistency purposes.

    Regards
    HJR

    "Francis Drai" <francis.draisita.int> wrote in message
    > Sorry I mean rollback segment not temporary tablespace
    >

    > Francis Drai wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > AS I have to delete more than 100,000,000 records for a table I would
    > > like to be able to do this operation without journalization. So I will
    > > not have pb regarding temporary tablespace. Is it possible. I know that
    > > this is possible for some other databases.
    > >
    > > Thank you

    Howard J. Rogers Guest