Professional Web Applications Themes

Donate a G3 to a new Mac Fan? - Mac Portable

My brother wants to switch to Mac and wants to try OS X. Problem is that he has "modest" means with which to do so. He's looking for an old G3 to be able to accomplish this. Free would be good, cheap may (or may not) be do-able for him. Any generous souls have an unused G3 around? Thanks (for him), -- Dave C com...

  1. #1

    Default Donate a G3 to a new Mac Fan?

    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Donate a G3 to a new Mac Fan?

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Hey, anyone got a spare Mercedes they ain't using? I could use one.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    hey, I need a Paul Reed Smith guitar, a Soldano SLO and a POD XT Pro
    if anyone is in a generous mood :)

    seriously, though, if he's looking at cheap, I'd suggest eBay or
    Goodwill. I'm noticing a lot of G3 All-In-Ones (AKA Chia Mac) on eBay
    recently....

    --
    Dan Dreibelbis, Guitar Nerd - Better Living Through Home Recording
    Now On Vitaminic

  4. #4

    In comp.sys.mac.misc DaveC <com> wrote:

    Even if I had a used G3 to give you for free, I suspect the hassle of
    packing and sending it to you would simply be too much... it would probably
    cost me on the order of $50 for postage.

    I would suggest looking on eBay, or see if you have local forsale newsgroups
    where people buy/sell/give away computer stuff (i.e. tor.forsale.computing)

    Hope you find what you need..

    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bellnexxia.net>,
    Daniel Dreibelbis <ca> wrote:

    > hey, I need a Paul Reed Smith guitar, a Soldano SLO and a POD XT Pro
    > if anyone is in a generous mood :)
    >
    > seriously, though, if he's looking at cheap, I'd suggest eBay or
    > Goodwill. I'm noticing a lot of G3 All-In-Ones (AKA Chia Mac) on eBay
    > recently....[/ref]

    Some G3 AIO's won't run OSX, I know I've got one of those. I use it
    for my local backup of my G4 over the network, to a jaz drive hooked to
    it. (I'm too cheap to buy a scsi card for the G4 <G>)

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  6. #6

    DaveC wrote:

    Why not just look for something like this?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2754239045&category=14 912

    Steve Guest

  7. #7

    In article <200920030859394850%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    > Some G3 AIO's won't run OSX, I know I've got one of those. I use it
    > for my local backup of my G4 over the network, to a jaz drive hooked to
    > it. (I'm too cheap to buy a scsi card for the G4 <G>)[/ref]

    try using XPostFacto on the Chia Mac, Ryan designed it so that even
    those G3s that can't run OS X normally should boot with that (like those
    original G3 Powerbooks...)

    still, seriously cool what you did.

  8. #8

    In article <bellnexxia.net>,
    Daniel Dreibelbis <ca> wrote:

    > hey, I need a Paul Reed Smith guitar, a Soldano SLO and a POD XT Pro
    > if anyone is in a generous mood :)
    >
    > seriously, though, if he's looking at cheap, I'd suggest eBay or
    > Goodwill. I'm noticing a lot of G3 All-In-Ones (AKA Chia Mac) on eBay
    > recently....[/ref]

    I've got the Paul Reed Smith... I now need a Benedetto archtop jazzbox.
    Any takers... uh... givers?

    Steve
    Steve Guest

  9. #9

    In article <bellnexxia.net>,
    Daniel Dreibelbis <ca> wrote:

    > > Some G3 AIO's won't run OSX, I know I've got one of those. I use it
    > > for my local backup of my G4 over the network, to a jaz drive hooked to
    > > it. (I'm too cheap to buy a scsi card for the G4 <G>)[/ref]
    >
    > try using XPostFacto on the Chia Mac, Ryan designed it so that even
    > those G3s that can't run OS X normally should boot with that (like those
    > original G3 Powerbooks...)
    >
    > still, seriously cool what you did.[/ref]

    Thanks.

    And thanks for reminding me about XPostFacto, I had completely forgot
    that it existed.

    I got about a half dozen of these things and 3 Apple Lasers from a
    school that insisted on moving from Apple to PC. They tried to sell
    them, but no one knew enough about them, so they sat unsold. I gave
    them $100 for the lot.

    I checked them all out and gave all but one of the cpu's and one of the
    laser's to some kids that I knew couldn't afford them. I put modems in
    all those I gave away so they could have internet access. Then I got
    them free internet access from one of the local providers.

    The only thing, other than loading OSX on them, that I couldn't get to
    work is shared printing. I knew that the laser wouldn't work shared
    with OSX because there is no driver for that old laser, but I had hoped
    my USB HP895 ink squirter would be able to be shared. Never could get
    it to work though.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  10. #10

    In article <4QXab.13852$tampabay.rr.com>,
    Enough <com> wrote:

    > Hey, anyone got a spare Mercedes they ain't using? I could use one.[/ref]

    Or a spare Lamborghini Countach or perhaps a Miura S? I'll even accept
    an old dusty Ferrari Berlinetta Lusso, or maybe a Maserati Sebring, or a
    Tipo 61 "Birdcage" or.........
    George Guest

  11. #11

    Lloyd Parsons <com> writes:

    [...]

    If you are still in contact with your grantees, you may be able to
    get them to upgrade to OSX (10.2) with Ex Post Facto (already
    mentioned). 10.2 buys you USB printer-sharing, at least among
    Macs.

    Also, that has to be a very, very old laser printer if OSX can't drive
    it *at all*. Even if it is something as old as an LS 4/600, you can
    buy a ethertalk/localtalk (e.g. "Asantetalk") bridge along with a
    router (or a hub) and share the laser-printer on a network. If you
    don't buy the ethertalk/localtalk bridge, you will not be able to
    use *some* laser printers with OSX, even when directly connected.

    I know that buying the bridge would require an additional outlay of
    funds on the part of someone, but I am always of the opinion that
    spending a little extra to have something actually work beats having
    an additional paper-weight around.

    --
    Edward Dodge

    /Confabulation Consulting/
    Edward Guest

  12. #12

    In article <com>, Edward Dodge <com> wrote:

    > If you are still in contact with your grantees, you may be able to
    > get them to upgrade to OSX (10.2) with Ex Post Facto (already
    > mentioned). 10.2 buys you USB printer-sharing, at least among
    > Macs.[/ref]

    I see them now and then, but they use them for getting on the internet
    and playing some games. None of them decided to use them for what I
    had intended, which was schoolwork. But I had no strings attached in
    the gift, so its their loss.

    I guess it is part of what makes many poor stay that way, huh?

    It is an Apple Personal LaserWriter and it IS very old! It plugs in
    directly to the AIO that has no addon cards of any sort. I have been
    told that there are NO drivers for it in OSX at all.

    Well, the G3 isn't exactly a paperweight, but it sure would be a heavy
    one if it was. You could pop a hernia carrying this thing around! <G>

    I don't use it often, as I said its mostly used for making a backup of
    my G4 via network to the attached SCSI Jaz drive.

    But then, I guess I could hook that Jaz drive up to my PM6500! Its
    even older! I got it and a Performa at a yard sale for $5 total! Both
    work, but the Performa is still trying to boot up from when I turned it
    on a month ago! <G>

    I use them all (well not the Performa (75Mhz)) for one thing or another
    now and then. Given the memory footprint of the AIO, I don't think I
    would put OSX on it anyway and the PM6500 won't run it at all.

    But thanks for the pointers and suggestions, maybe someone else has
    gained some knowledge they can use.

    Lloyd
    Lloyd Guest

  13. #13

    In article <200920031310016165%com>,
    Lloyd Parsons <com> wrote:

    No problem.

    Here's where to find it, by the way - plus you'll also get to see a
    screenshot of the upcoming version 3 release, which will do some very
    interesting things like Firewire booting and support for OS X 10.3
    Panther:

    http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

    the program's basically free, but for support OWC has a $10 fee to
    get into that area - money well worth it, though. I've been running
    Jaguar on my UMAX J700 for about a year now, and it's incredible how
    stable it is....