Professional Web Applications Themes

dotMac server is a real disappointment - Mac Applications & Software

I've become real disappointed with the dotMac service. First I figured out I can't get index mode in the "Sites" folder which means an error page always comes up and I can't see a list of files in any dotMac folder. Now I figure out I can't download a Zipfile. Is this Apple's way of boycotting Windows formatted filetypes? They won't respond to my queries and their forum is a bad joke. I'm pretty sure that for $100 a year there is a better IMAP service out there somewhere, any suggestions? -- Gnarlie http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html...

  1. #1

    Default dotMac server is a real disappointment

    I've become real disappointed with the dotMac service. First I figured out I
    can't get index mode in the "Sites" folder which means an error page always
    comes up and I can't see a list of files in any dotMac folder.

    Now I figure out I can't download a Zipfile. Is this Apple's way of
    boycotting Windows formatted filetypes? They won't respond to my queries and
    their forum is a bad joke.

    I'm pretty sure that for $100 a year there is a better IMAP service out
    there somewhere, any suggestions?

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: dotMac server is a real disappointment

    Gnarlodious <invalid.> writes:

    If all you really want is the IMAP service, .Mac has _always_
    been a miserably bad deal.

    If you are using the filestorage (webDAV), the web publishing,
    the antivirus and, most difficult to te, the iSync stuff,
    you may or may not be getting your money's worth.

    I, personally, have no use for any of that except the IMAP,
    and so avoid Apple's .Mac deal. Besides, their SMTP is
    misconfigured such that it forces you to use your mac.com
    address rather than just, sensibly, using SMTP-Auth correctly.

    Alternatives? There are many. See Nancy McGough's
    wonderful <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/>
    IMAP Server information site and list of service providers.

    I, personally, use Fastmail.FM and have been _very_ happy
    with them, except for one day a few weeks ago when the
    system was down, for the first time in my experience, for
    more than a couple of minutes. But it's a very well run
    shop, their IMAP is maintained properly, they offer real
    authenticated SMTP, and the best WebMail I've ever used
    on the 'net.

    [just a satisfied customer, etc. etc. ]

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  3. #3

    In <teranews.com>
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    I've never had this problem. Keep in mind that just because *you*
    experience a problem, it's not necessarily a problem with the service.

    What happens when you try to download a zip archive?

    J.
    Jennifer Guest

  4. #4

    In article <teranews.com>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    The above is, as far as I can tell on cursory examination, true.

    The above is, via the same cursory examination, distinctly false.

    What are you talking about? It's just bits.
    Gregory Guest

  5. #5

    Entity Jennifer Mullen spoke thus:
     [/ref]

    The server sends a "no such page" page, this happens when I try to download
    to a Mac or Windows machine.

    You can see the page here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/gnarlodious/ , the uncooperative link is
    "Leading Driver 256MB Windows USB Flash Memory UD11.zip"

    If it works for you I'll eat my words.

  6. #6

    In article <teranews.com>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    I have had the same results with another .mac page, but it opened in
    Netscape. Yours opens in neither.

    Try shortening the filename.

    m-m
    M-M Guest

  7. #7

    In <teranews.com>
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote: [/ref]

    > The server sends a "no such page" page, this happens when I try to download
    > to a Mac or Windows machine.
    >
    > You can see the page here:
    > http://homepage.mac.com/gnarlodious/ , the uncooperative link is
    > "Leading Driver 256MB Windows USB Flash Memory UD11.zip"
    >
    > If it works for you I'll eat my words.[/ref]

    It's the filename length. See http://homepage.mac.com/redjen

    J.
    Jennifer Guest