Professional Web Applications Themes

downgrading from testing to woody - Debian

I normally run testing on both my machines, but I have been having some issues and wanted to try to go back down to stable or woody, when I upgraded to testing it took about 45 mins to download and install all the packages, via apt-get dist-upgrade, I changed my sources.list file back to woody and did an apt-get clean and when I did the dist-upgrade again it took literally 3 seconds and didn't download anything and said it had completed, I know there is no way that it could be done that quick, so im sure im not running ...

  1. #1

    Default downgrading from testing to woody

    I normally run testing on both my machines, but I have been having some
    issues and wanted to try to go back down to stable or woody, when I
    upgraded to testing it took about 45 mins to download and install all
    the packages, via apt-get dist-upgrade, I changed my sources.list file
    back to woody and did an apt-get clean and when I did the dist-upgrade
    again it took literally 3 seconds and didn't download anything and said
    it had completed, I know there is no way that it could be done that
    quick, so im sure im not running stable, is there a way to tell? Do I
    have to reinstall to get back to stable? What do I need to do?

    nick

    Nyc0n Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: downgrading from testing to woody

    I wont swear on stack of bibles to this, but what you want seems not
    really possible without a reinstall. It seems to me you have already
    upgraded to versions of packages in testing. So to go backwards would
    mean to revert all your packages to older versions. However i think apt
    and its various family members only look for newer ones. Now you may be
    able to backport all of the effected packages, but that would be
    essentially your entire system (if testing is anything like unstable).
    Your best bet is either to reinstall or fix the existing problems.

    cheers
    -howell

    Nyc0n wrote:
    > I normally run testing on both my machines, but I have been having
    > some issues and wanted to try to go back down to stable or woody, when
    > I upgraded to testing it took about 45 mins to download and install
    > all the packages, via apt-get dist-upgrade, I changed my sources.list
    > file back to woody and did an apt-get clean and when I did the
    > dist-upgrade again it took literally 3 seconds and didnít download
    > anything and said it had completed, I know there is no way that it
    > could be done that quick, so im sure im not running stable, is there a
    > way to tell? Do I have to reinstall to get back to stable? What do I
    > need to do?
    >
    > nick

    Howell Evans Guest

  3. #3

    Would this help?
    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&edition=&q=%22downgrade+from+testing+t o+stable%22[/url]

    or would this help?
    [url]http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=880#comment[/url]

    Good luck and Kind Regards
    Dan Hunt

    Dan Hunt Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:38:29PM -0600, Dan Hunt wrote:
    > Would this help?
    > [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&scoring=d&edition=&q=%22downgrade+from+testing+t o+stable%22[/url]
    >
    > or would this help?
    > [url]http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=880#comment[/url]