Professional Web Applications Themes

Download limit in Safari - Mac Applications & Software

I have been running into a situation in safari where it will not allow more than 4 simultaneous downloads. The source of the DLs does not matter, i.e.: I can DL 2 files from Version tracker, and 2 from Apple, but the 5th file (regardless of source) will start until one of the previous files completes. I have already checked all the 'usual suspects', internet preferences, network preferences, and Safari preferences and found nothing that seems to apply. Anyone have any ideas what and where to change to increase this limit? thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Download limit in Safari

    I have been running into a situation in safari where it will not allow
    more than 4 simultaneous downloads. The source of the DLs does not
    matter, i.e.: I can DL 2 files from Version tracker, and 2 from Apple,
    but the 5th file (regardless of source) will start until one of the
    previous files completes.

    I have already checked all the 'usual suspects', internet preferences,
    network preferences, and Safari preferences and found nothing that seems
    to apply.

    Anyone have any ideas what and where to change to increase this limit?

    thanks

    Fetch, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Download limit in Safari

    In article <net>, Fetch, Rover, Fetch
    <edu> wrote:

    As far as I can tell, this is hard-coded into Safari.

    In any case, increasing the number of simultaneous downloads generally
    won't allow you to download any faster.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  3. #3

    "Jerry Kindall" <invalid> wrote in message

    No, but it's often useful to be able to set off n downloads, then walk away
    for a while whilst it completes.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    Ian Guest

  4. #4

    In article <0UuYa.7245$server.ntli.net>,
    "Ian McCall" <org> wrote:

    > No, but it's often useful to be able to set off n downloads, then walk away
    > for a while whilst it completes.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Ian
    >
    >[/ref]

    Use the command line tool curl. It comes installed on os x.
    Jerome Guest

  5. #5

    McCall <org> wrote:

    > No, but it's often useful to be able to set off n downloads, then walk away
    > for a while whilst it completes.[/ref]

    Well, sure. Are you saying Safari doesn't queue things up for later
    downloading? I had assumed it did. (Since getting the faster DSL I
    very rarely need to download more than one thing at a time, so might
    not have noticed this.)

  6. #6

    Jerry Kindall wrote:

    > As far as I can tell, this is hard-coded into Safari.
    >
    > In any case, increasing the number of simultaneous downloads generally
    > won't allow you to download any faster.
    >[/ref]
    actually it does !

    if I am (trying to) download 10 files from 5 differnet sources and each
    source is only able to provide 10K/sec while my connection support
    100K/sec then beng aboe to DL more files at one time allows me to better
    fill the pipe decreasing the time required to DL the files.

    Fetch, Guest

  7. #7

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch <edu> wrote:

    I have found Speed Download a useful tool for handling this sort of
    thing - and for coping with the situation when my ISP drops the line
    after two hours connect time. Many sites (including Apple) start again
    from the beginning...

    --
    Beware the SPAMblock - if your mailer doesn't see my Reply-To:, use
    john at yclept dot freeserve dot co dot uk