After managing to install the debian base system I have been trying to
expand it by downloading additional packages, but no matter which mirror I
selected or whether I selected 'http' or 'ftp' I always received the
following message:

"Failed to access the Debian archive.
When I tried to access the Debian archive using the information you
provided, 'apt' gave the following error:
Failed to fetch requested packages because something wicked happened
resolving 'ftp.us.debian.org:ftp' (3).
W: You may want to run 'apt-get update' to correct these problems. E: Some
index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used
instead."

I have run 'apt-get update' and 'apt-setup' many times, but it made no
difference.

I also got the message that a bug report had been sent about this matter.
Since I didn't prepare a bug report, the kernel must have prepared and sent
it automatically. I have installed the 'compact' kernel, version 2.2.20.

My ethernet card is D-Link DFE-538TX and I selected the 8139too driver. The
kernel confirmed that it recognized the card and loaded the driver. My
computer is a Compaq Presario 7469, and I am also running Windows 98 on the
same computer. My ADSL connection works fine when I am running Windows.

On startup I am getting the following messages, which may be relevant in
this context:
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable.
Configuring network interfaces: eth0: Setting half-duplex based on
autonegotiated partner ability 0000.
Modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135
Setting up IP spoofing protection: rp_filter.

On shutdown I get the following, possibly relevant messages:
Deconfiguring network interfaces: SIOCDELRT: No such process
eth0: unable to signal thread: -3

Has anybody got a clue what prevents 'apt-get' from accessing the Debian
archive and fetching some additional packages?

Regards,

Reinmar Weck