Professional Web Applications Themes

Downloading debian-testing - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm trying to download the first CD using jigdo-lite on Windows. I followed the instructions exactly as specified on Debian's site (http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/), but jigdo ended with:  [/ref][/ref] 1 files not found in previous pass, trying alternative download locations: wget: BUG: unknown command `timeout', value `30'. --01:14:55-- http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/jigdo- area/i386/snapshot/p ool/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.22-i386-udeb/serial-modules-2.4.22-1-386- udeb_2.4.22 -2_i386.udeb => `sarge-i386- 1.iso.tmpdir/gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/jigdo-ar ea/i386/snapshot/pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.22-i386-udeb/serial- modules-2.4.22 -1-386-udeb_2.4.22-2_i386.udeb' Resolving gluck.debian.org... done. Connecting to gluck.debian.org[192.25.206.10]:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found 01:14:55 ERROR 404: Not Found. Skipping object `sarge-i386-1.iso.tmpdir' (No such file or directory) Found 0 of the 1 files required by the template Copied input files to temporary ...

  1. #1

    Default Downloading debian-testing

[...]

    Copied input files to temporary file `sarge-i386-1.iso.tmp' - repeat
    command and
    supply more files to continue

    Aaargh - 1 files could not be downloaded. This should not
    happen! Depending on the problem, it may help to retry downloading
    the missing files.
    Also, you could try changing to another Debian or Non-US server,
    in case the one you used is out of sync.

    However, if all the files downloaded without errors and you
    still get this message, it means that the files changed on the
    server, so the image cannot be generated.
    As a last resort, you could try to complete the CD image download
    by fetching the remaining data with rsync.

    Press Return to retry downloading the missing files.
    Press Ctrl-C to abort. (If you re-run jigdo-lite later, it will
    resume from here, the downloaded data is not lost if you press
    Ctrl-C now.)
     [/ref][/ref]

    Now I have a 648,608-KB file called "sarge-i386-1.iso.tmp". I tried some
    other locations like ftp.uk.debian.org/debian, but to no avail. To my
    knowledge, I don't think it's possible to simply download the latest
    ISO. Please help, and thanks in advance!
    OvErboRed Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Downloading debian-testing

    Try a network install:

    http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

    Installing Debian GNU/Linux via the Internet

    If you have a permanent connection to the Internet, you can install Debian
    using that. You would initially download only a small portion of Debian
    required to start the installation process, and then install whatever else
    you want from within the installation program.

    This sort of network installation process requires either an ogue PPP
    dialup connection to your Internet provider, or Internet access via
    Ethernet (possibly using a PCMCIA card in your laptop). Unfortunately, it
    does not support internal ISDN cards.

    There are two options for installs over the network:

    Minimal CD: Instead of getting a full 650MB CD image, you just download a CD
    image file which contains the bare essentials necessary to install the
    rest. For the moment, it's necessary to have access to a CD recorder in
    order to use this.
    Floppy disks: You download a couple of floppy disk images (files the size of
    a floppy disk), write them to floppy disks, and then start the installation
    by booting from the those diskettes.

    R Guest

  3. #3

    Hi, and thanks for your reply. The reason I would like to run testing is
    because I hear that stable is out-of-date, and I am just running this as a
    desktop system (not a mission-critical server).

    I just tried netinst, actually. The whole things freezes right after I hit
    Finish on the screen that lets me mount my partitions. (I've let it sit
    there for a while, and all I have is a blue screen and a little gray bar at
    the bottom where I can enter text that is ignored.) I'm running everything
    in VMware, so I don't think exotic hardware's an issue. Also, from
    http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/:

    "The installer is still under development, so the installation may fail."

    Anyway, I also managed to get the first ISO of the complete installation
    set (I simply repeated everything from another computer, and it worked).
    However, this time another problem came up, right after I selected my
    language:

    "Failed to retrieve installer module: Retrieving the module file-retriever
    failed for unknown reasons. Aborting."

    This has been a bit discouraging. Furthermore I have read on various
    message boards/newsgroups that Debian's installer is buggy. Some have
    recommended installing an earlier version of the software (woody), and then
    upgrade from there. Unless anybody knows what might be causing the above
    problems, this looks like my only option. However, I have some related
    questions:

    - How "clean" is it to upgrade the distro? (e.g., Windows upgrades are
    really messy/problematic, so I always do clean reinstalls.)
    - Is it possible to move from stable to testing and vice-versa once the
    system is installed? (i.e., would the process be similar to that of
    upgrading the distro?)

    In the meantime I will repeat everything I've tried so far. Thanks.

    R S Prigan <rr.com> wrote in

    OvErboRed Guest

  4. #4

    OvErboRed <net> wrote:

    Out of date is good - it means "stable". Stable means out-of-date. Etc.
    It doesn't change (is stable), so must be outof date! There's nothing
    wrong with that - on the contrary, it's good. New is bad. New is buggy.

    Not a reason. I am running slackware 3.0 on my desktop.

    You don't install testiong - you install stable and use apt-get to
    upgrade to testing.

    There you are.

    Why? Isos are not a good way to install on computers if you have a
    network! This is an msdosism that only ever made sense for people
    without real network connectivity. It never makes sense if you have to
    download an iso over the net, since you get too much. A barebones
    install plus network upgrade via apt-get will be dozens of times more
    efficient.

    Please do not top post!

    Peter
    Peter Guest