Professional Web Applications Themes

downloading images advice - Macromedia Fireworks

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the downloading of images. I have a good few sites that relay on one or two photos being made available to the press for printing purposes. What I generally do is scan the image and save it as a TIFF file and then zip it. Most of the time this is ok but occasionally some of the printers complain that this is not good enough. Has anyone any advice. I appreciate that over the web this method is probably never going to be the ultimate way, but it is an ...

  1. #1

    Default downloading images advice

    I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the downloading of
    images. I have a good few sites that relay on one or two photos being made
    available to the press for printing purposes. What I generally do is scan
    the image and save it as a TIFF file and then zip it. Most of the time this
    is ok but occasionally some of the printers complain that this is not good
    enough.

    Has anyone any advice. I appreciate that over the web this method is
    probably never going to be the ultimate way, but it is an issue with a lot
    of the types of sites I end up building.

    Thanks

    Brian

    A sample of one of my images can be seen here.
    http://www.judithmok.com/downloads.htm

    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: downloading images advice

    Brian wrote:
    || I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding the downloading
    || of images. I have a good few sites that relay on one or two photos
    || being made available to the press for printing purposes. What I
    || generally do is scan the image and save it as a TIFF file and then
    || zip it. Most of the time this is ok but occasionally some of the
    || printers complain that this is not good enough.
    || Has anyone any advice. I appreciate that over the web this method is
    || probably never going to be the ultimate way, but it is an issue with
    || a lot of the types of sites I end up building.

    How many dpi are you saving the images at Brian?

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  3. #3

    200dpi. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong?
    Thanks Peter
    Regards
    Brian

    "PJR" <com> wrote in message

    Brian Guest

  4. #4

    Brian wrote:
    || 200dpi. Maybe this is where I'm going wrong?
    || Thanks Peter

    Is that how they are coming off the camera Brian or are you reducing them to
    that? many printers require a minimum of 300dpi. If I do the sort of thing I
    see on your web site, I have two options one at 300dpi for print and one at
    72dpi for web use. Both jpgs. If it's a special request for a larger image
    I'll save at 600dpi.

    HTH

    Peter

    PJR Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Peter
    Yes this is how they come off the camera (scanner) at 200dpi. I usually
    wouldn't reduce them, just compress. It is an area that worries me because
    if I'm honest, I know nothing about this so you help is very valuable.
    Thanks
    Brian
    "PJR" <com> wrote in message

    at

    Brian Guest

  6. #6

    Brian wrote:
    || Thanks Peter
    || Yes this is how they come off the camera (scanner) at 200dpi. I
    || usually wouldn't reduce them, just compress. It is an area that
    || worries me because if I'm honest, I know nothing about this so you
    || help is very valuable. Thanks

    I would check to see if you can up the dpi on the scanner.

    PJR Guest