Professional Web Applications Themes

Downloading Publisher FIles - Web Design

Is there a free MS Publisher previewer that I can download? I am a webmaster for my church, and the church secretary sends me a copy of the Church newsletter in MS Publisher format to upload to our web site. I have tried several times to convert to a web page, and I always spend lots of time reformatting the file I would like to offer a simple link to a *.pub file that anybody can download. For those users that do not have Publisher installed on their workstation, I would like to offer them a link to a site ...

  1. #1

    Default Downloading Publisher FIles

    Is there a free MS Publisher previewer that I can download? I am a webmaster for my church, and the church secretary sends me a copy of the Church newsletter in MS Publisher format to upload to our web site. I have tried several times to convert to a web page, and I always spend lots of time reformatting the file

    I would like to offer a simple link to a *.pub file that anybody can download. For those users that do not have Publisher installed on their workstation, I would like to offer them a link to a site that offers a free Previewer. I know this type of software exists for Excel and Word, but I haven't bee able to find it for Publisher. Can anybody help

    Thank you in advance for your help.
    mh53j_fe Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Downloading Publisher FIles

    No there is no viewer. The common sharing method is to use a 3rd party pdf
    converter.

    --
    David Bartosik - MS MVP
    for Publisher help:

    "mh53j_fe" <klivelsbergercomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a free MS Publisher previewer that I can download? I am a
    webmaster for my church, and the church secretary sends me a copy of the
    Church newsletter in MS Publisher format to upload to our web site. I have
    tried several times to convert to a web page, and I always spend lots of
    time reformatting the file.

    > I would like to offer a simple link to a *.pub file that anybody can
    download. For those users that do not have Publisher installed on their
    workstation, I would like to offer them a link to a site that offers a free
    Previewer. I know this type of software exists for Excel and Word, but I
    haven't bee able to find it for Publisher. Can anybody help?

    > Thank you in advance for your help.

    David Bartosik - MS MVP Guest

  3. #3

    What some people are doing is to get the 30 day trial of Pub 2003 (if their
    system will support it) and use that as a viewer. David has the better
    idea - convert your files to a .pdf so that everyone, regardless of the
    hardware they own, can view your files. Plus they will be smaller.

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

    "mh53j_fe" <klivelsbergercomcast.net> wrote in message
    > Is there a free MS Publisher previewer that I can download? I am a
    webmaster for my church, and the church secretary sends me a copy of the
    Church newsletter in MS Publisher format to upload to our web site. I have
    tried several times to convert to a web page, and I always spend lots of
    time reformatting the file.

    > I would like to offer a simple link to a *.pub file that anybody can
    download. For those users that do not have Publisher installed on their
    workstation, I would like to offer them a link to a site that offers a free
    Previewer. I know this type of software exists for Excel and Word, but I
    haven't bee able to find it for Publisher. Can anybody help?

    > Thank you in advance for your help.

    ---

    JL Paules Guest

  4. #4

    I must not understand the problem. Why not just get Publisher and
    generte the html in the save as webpage feature? Bill needs the
    money, so be sure to buy a copy at retail!

    The only problem with this approach is the newer versions produce
    bloated html. But if the newsletter is onlty a few pages long, it
    should work just fine. You thereby avoid the.pdf file kludge (some of
    your viewers may not have or may not like Acrobat). We use .pdf only
    when absolutely necessary here.

    Syd

    analog@logwell.com Guest

  5. #5

    His point is that not all of his target viewer have Publisher. I have the
    same situation in that I produced two newsletters and I certainly do not
    expect them to buy Publisher just so they can read my files electronically.
    ..pdfs are ideal when you don't want to worry about who has what
    software/hardware. Use Macs? That's fine. Have an 8 year old computer - not
    a problem. Now days all new prebuilt systems have Acrobat Reader installed
    at the time of purchase - and it's been that way for several years. If any
    of my audience are savvy enough to build their own computers, they
    understand the .pdf files are commonplace.

    And I don't have to worry about bloated .html files. Silly me, I've been
    using FrontPage to do the related websites. I'm kind of funny that way - I
    prefer using the proper tool for the job.

    --
    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

  6. #6

    Your solution has a drawback. If you get Publisher to view Publisher files,
    then it follow to get Lotus 1-2-3 for 1-2-3 files, Word for Word files,
    Quicken for Quicken files and so forth.

    Using "Portable Doent Format" (pdf) files you can share doents with
    all without difficulty.
    And if you able to use the free Acrobat Reader 6.01 you can have "Mike" or
    "Mary" read the file to you.

    Hmmm..... could be Syd has stock in a software supply company??? <G>

    --
    Don
    -------

    <oglogwell.com> wrote in message
    > I must not understand the problem. Why not just get Publisher and
    > generte the html in the save as webpage feature? Bill needs the
    > money, so be sure to buy a copy at retail!
    >
    > The only problem with this approach is the newer versions produce
    > bloated html. But if the newsletter is onlty a few pages long, it
    > should work just fine. You thereby avoid the.pdf file kludge (some of
    > your viewers may not have or may not like Acrobat). We use .pdf only
    > when absolutely necessary here.
    >
    > Syd
    >

    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:01:28 -0400, "JL Paules"
    > <JL_Amersonhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >What some people are doing is to get the 30 day trial of Pub 2003 (if
    their
    > >system will support it) and use that as a viewer. David has the better
    > >idea - convert your files to a .pdf so that everyone, regardless of the
    > >hardware they own, can view your files. Plus they will be smaller.

    Don Schmidt Guest

  7. #7

    Umm, I merely proposed converting the newsletter to .html in
    Publisher, then putting that on the web. A simple and elegant
    solution, no? I never proposed leaving the newsletter in native
    Publisher file format.

    We use .pdf files for schematics and for certain technical doents
    at our website, but avoid it if a simple .html page will do the trick.

    Syd

  8. #8

    What ever works for you is your winner.

    Some of the advantages of attached pdf files are: small file, they are an
    accepted form of file sharing, easily shared with others, (I believe html
    files create a file and a folder with one or more files)

    If you ever get an interest in pdf programs let me know and I'll share a PC
    Magazine article comparing ~15 pdf creating programs.
    Some of the information is a bit dated, i.e., PDF-XChange ver 2.5 (a 4 star
    tie with two others) in the comparison and has been replaced with ver 3.0
    (it's Great!)

    Take care,

    --
    Don