Professional Web Applications Themes

Downloading Suse 9.0 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I need some direction for downloading the latest Suse linux. I went to Suse's download page and they pointed to a directory. ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/. What all do I download from that directory because the whole directory is like 6.5 GB. and How many CDs would I be downloading ? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Downloading Suse 9.0

    I need some direction for downloading the latest Suse linux. I went to
    Suse's download page and they pointed to a directory.
    ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/. What all do I download from that
    directory because the whole directory is like 6.5 GB. and How many CDs
    would I be downloading ?

    Thanks
    Maredia, Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Downloading Suse 9.0

    "Maredia, A" <com> wrote in message

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/current/README.FTP describes how to install
    over the Internet to a single machine. If you want to install to several
    machines on a network, you'll have to download the the entire tree to a
    filesystem which is NFS exported, and the remaining machines can be
    installed from there.

    --
    use hotmail com for any email replies

    ynotssor Guest

  3. #3

    Maredia, A wrote:

    .... i take it you havent read the directions at their site!
    ..
    Alimony is a system by which, when two people make a mistake,
    one of them keeps paying for it. - Peggy Joyce

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    By the way. Suse 9.0 is not available yet for downloading. The URL you
    point to is Suse 8.2 (It says so in the README)

    ProMaster Guest

  5. #5

    ProMaster <com> wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref]

    I should have read their site first. I got it now.
    Maredia, Guest

  6. #6

    Maredia, A wrote:

    If you are talking about downloading ISO images of their operating
    system, they don't let you do this. You have to do either an FTP
    install, or buy the discs.

    You can get RedHat or Mandrake by ISO image though. (In the UK, they
    are bundling version 9.2 of Mandrake with the current edition of Linux
    format, and RedHat 9 with Linux User & Developer.)

    Matt

    Matthew Guest

  7. #7

    "ProMaster" <com> wrote in message

    SuSE 9 *is* available (in fact, I dual-boot it and XP).

    However, what's available is a single over-the-network/Internet-install ISO.

    Don't even *think* about it if all you have is dial-up (go with the multi-CD
    boxed set instead), but it works wonders over cable (I did an
    over-the-Internet FTP install via the SuSE mirror at Argonne National Lab in
    less than two hours, including post-install updates).

    Available, yes. Complete ISOs...*no*.

    Christopher L. Estep

    Christopher Guest

  8. #8

    In comp.os.linux.misc Christopher L. Estep <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    This may help someone unclear on the procedure:

    http://aplawrence.com/Linux/crousenetinstallsuse.html

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com

    Tony Guest

  9. #9

    Matthew Smith <co.uk> wrote

    You can get copies of Suse 9.0 on ebay for about $10. I don't know if
    they are legal or not.

    Steve
    Steve Guest

  10. #10

    Steve wrote:

    > You can get copies of Suse 9.0 on ebay for about $10. I don't know if
    > they are legal or not.[/ref]

    For $10 they're certainly not legal. And if you buy them there that means
    that the developers at SuSE don't get any money at all ... which in turn
    means that SuSE has less money to put into making their distro better.

    Feh. Warez Dudes.

    fup set.

    Henriette

    --
    Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
    Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

  11. #11

    Henriette Kress <net> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.11.30.15.01.30.172821hetta>...

    > > You can get copies of Suse 9.0 on ebay for about $10. I don't know if
    > > they are legal or not.[/ref]
    >
    > For $10 they're certainly not legal. And if you buy them there that means
    > that the developers at SuSE don't get any money at all ... which in turn
    > means that SuSE has less money to put into making their distro better.
    >
    > Feh. Warez Dudes.
    >
    > fup set.
    >
    > Henriette[/ref]

    The E-bay version of Suse are downloadeded from suse server I beleive.
    What are the differences betweeb the downloaded version and boxed
    version besides the price and tech support.
    Maredia, Guest

  12. #12

    In message <google.com>, "Maredia,
    A" <com> wrote

    >> For $10 they're certainly not legal. And if you buy them there that means
    >> that the developers at SuSE don't get any money at all ... which in turn
    >> means that SuSE has less money to put into making their distro better.
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >The E-bay version of Suse are downloadeded from suse server I beleive.
    >What are the differences betweeb the downloaded version and boxed
    >version besides the price and tech support.[/ref]

    SuSE do not offer ISO's of their installable distribution for download,
    so any CD's on eBay that purport to be "downloaded from SuSE" were not
    obtained in this manner.

    It is more probable that these are copies of genuine SuSE CD's being
    sold in contravention of the license for YAST if you are lucky. If not
    they could be trojanised - how would you tell ?
    --
    Robert HULL If it's there and you can see it - it's real
    If it's there and you can't see it - it's transparent

  13. #13

    On 30 Nov 2003 18:31:52 -0800, com (Maredia, A) wrote:

    ...............^^^^^^^^^^^.......... key phrase, which
    mean you dont know for sure - they could be burned
    images of ISOs
    ..
    "Text processing has made it possible to right-justify any idea,
    even one which cannot be justified on any other grounds."
    mjt Guest

  14. #14

    Robert Hull <do-not-spam.me.uk> wrote in message news:<zsg6B3D8Cxy$do-not-spam.me.uk>...

    > >The E-bay version of Suse are downloadeded from suse server I beleive.
    > >What are the differences betweeb the downloaded version and boxed
    > >version besides the price and tech support.[/ref]
    >
    > SuSE do not offer ISO's of their installable distribution for download,
    > so any CD's on eBay that purport to be "downloaded from SuSE" were not
    > obtained in this manner.
    >
    > It is more probable that these are copies of genuine SuSE CD's being
    > sold in contravention of the license for YAST if you are lucky. If not
    > they could be trojanised - how would you tell ?[/ref]

    I was going through E-bay and some of these seller's claim that its
    not boxed burned ISOs. Item # 3641486232 is an example. He writes
    this

    IMPORTANT: Like most everyone else on Ebay, these are NOT retail
    boxes. The only difference between us and anybody else who is selling
    is that we tell you that these are not retail boxes :) However, you
    can be sure that these items are not available for download from the
    standard ISO download sites.
    If you want printed manuals and support, be sure and check out the
    SuSE's website. You can buy this package with support for $79.95."

    What is he talking about their ? its not downloaded ISO (can't
    download), its not boxed copied then I guess its his own distro.

    I mean this guy has sold more than 1100 products and is also selling
    suse 9 its in 2 DVDs. He is not alone I have found similar links.
    Maredia, Guest

  15. #15

    On 1 Dec 2003 13:34:32 -0800, com (Maredia, A) wrote:

    .... it means it's not an official suse green box, with suse
    originated, official DVD/CDs. they are burned COPIES of
    suse-originated, official DVD/CDs. if being sold for profit,
    then that is a no-no. i can make a copy of the CDs and give
    them to you, but i cant re-sell them to you.

    now, do you think these people are doing this for FUN?
    ..
    Weinberg's First Law: Progress is made on alternate Fridays.
    mjt Guest

  16. #16

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:52:34 GMT, mjt wrote:

    > ... it means it's not an official suse green box, with suse
    > originated, official DVD/CDs. they are burned COPIES of
    > suse-originated, official DVD/CDs. if being sold for profit, then
    > that is a no-no. i can make a copy of the CDs and give them to you,
    > but i cant re-sell them to you.[/ref]

    Don't you think it's possible that this person has downloaded an entire
    mirror of suse 9.0 and just burned it and the ftp install iso to a
    couple of DVD's? I'm not sure this would be illegal, as it's no
    different than you paying your ISP for the bandwidth required to
    download it yourself. Either way the SuSE people get no money. Keep in
    mind, I.

    Unless it includes the non-free SuSE software, then it'd definetely be a
    no-no.

    --
    When you are right, you cannot be too radical; When you are wrong,
    you cannot be too conservative. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

  17. #17

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:24:11 +0000 (UTC), John Fettig <SPAMedu.invalid> wrote:

    > Don't you think it's possible that this person has downloaded an entire
    > mirror of suse 9.0 and just burned it and the ftp install iso to a
    > couple of DVD's?[/ref]

    .... that's a possiblity. me, i'm not gonna chase them down to
    see what they have - i have better things to do right now :))
    if it were me, i would avoid these, but that's my opinion
    ..
    Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.
    mjt Guest