Professional Web Applications Themes

Downloads - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi all This is baffling me. I have downloaded some bits and bobs from Adobe Studio (custom shapes etc) but not too sure where to put them all ie masks, actions. Plus, novice as I am with PE2, how to use them. Is it ,also, trial and error what will work with PE2 say for instance I see a nice effect but it is for Photoshop 6 / 7? Thanking you in advance Regards fran...

  1. #1

    Default Downloads

    franjo@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Downloads

    Franjo,

    Not all Actions for PhotoShop can be used in Elements. But try Presets, PhotoShop Actions. For shapes, put them into the same folder that you have your shapes in Elements (Presets/Custom Shapes). Give that a try.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Good rule of thumb about where to put goodies is look at the file type i.e. .abr, .aco and the place them in the file where files with the same ending are.

    Most go somewhere in "Presets".

    I like to keep in simple (I need too :)

    Wendy
    Wendy_E_Williams@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Franjo-I totally disreguard photoshop prerequisite level even if it says it's only for a certain level. Someone here posted not too long ago that PE is built on the 7.0 engine. At any rate, I personally have had mostly success with brushes, styles, custom shapes, and a freebee set of filters. I haven't tried actions because I haven't bought Hidden Elements yet. And I don't know if we can use templates. As far as placement, do as Bob and Wendy suggested.
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    it really is a trial and error basis. Many brushes and styles created in PS7 will not work in PE1 but will work in PE2. Thankfully, there are still people like me who create styles/brushes to share in PS6 which is compatible with both programs.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all replies.

    Jodi - I haven't got to the stage of creating styles/brushes as yet, still grasping, slowly, the basics :-)
    franjo@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Terri,

    I have been looking for some freebie filters but so far I have had no luck. where did you get yours from and are they any good?

    Fran .. it you can use the lasso then you can make a simple brush ... it really isn't difficult. If you want any help then just ask :)

  8. #8

    I've tried a fair few filters - and not many of them are worth the effort (not least 'cos it's hard to find them for OSX - unlike styles and actions which are platform independent, filters do depend on the OS you are using).

    In OSX, I have the Dreamsuite freebie - which I do use occasionally. If I run in OS9 or classic I have panotools (which I use for correcting barrel distortion), and the extract filter - another side benefit of the old save limited PS6 demo. (don't use it much tho') and an eye candy freebie - very rarely used.

    susan S.
    Susan_S.@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for the info Susan ... now I know why I have had no sucess with filters.

  10. #10

    Wendy,

    I'm on Win XP if that matters. I have a filter called Simplifier that I got free from Amphisoft at <http://photoshop.msk.ru> (sorry I don't know hown to add a live link in post). It's artsy...if you go back to last challenge, it is the filter I used on Big Naked Guy in the fountain. It's eye candy but I like it. The other one I got for free is a set of 8 that I got off the Adobe Exchange in the plug-In section...called Graphic xtras1. They are fully functional not demos. How useful? I haven't got down to seriously playing with them but they seem to be so-so but hey what do you expect for free.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks for all replied, appreciated - such a wealth of knowledge for fledglings :-)

    Wendy - curious how to make the brushes, if you've got time I'd be very interested to learn.

  12. #12

    I've found a few good downloads from this site ;

    <http://www.freephotoshop.com/index.htm>
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Jodi

    I looked at the site mentioned in post #11. It looks promising. I was thinking about maybe downloading Harry's filters. I see you have to give out your e-mail address to get access. So, do they spam you? Is there a subscription fee? Just wanted to know what to expect if I supply an e-mail address. By the way, I also downloaded the rest of the Amphisoft free pack...several look useful. Only 2 or 3 of 10 in pack were demos.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Terri, I've never received an ounce of spam from any of the downloads from that site. I have Harry's filters but that is one that I just haven't used very much at all. Maybe once. I was curious about it at first but there really isn't anything in there that you can't do yourself with adjustment layers. Anyways, don't take my word for it....anything can be deleted afterwards ;)
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Jodi, thanks for the information on that. I'll have to get back to that site...I got a case of the wants. I take it your kids must be asleep too. Mine is, finally.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Wendy,

    I just downloaded Harry's Filters from site Jodi posted...it's a MUCH better tip than I gave. Go there. Forget the freebees from Exchange they look bad in comparison. I still like a couple of the Amphisoft filters but Jodi's suggestion is the motherload of free filter effects. THANK YOU JODI!

    Franjo,

    There was a thread about that a few days ago. You might want to do a forum search...type in elements...click on Elements syops...I think it's listed under creation of brushes or brushes will not load. I basically know how to do it but you would be better served by hearing from someone more familiar on the subject than me. I'm sure someone else will come along and answer this for you.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Sorry, Terri, but I think Wendy is a mac user if I remember rightly, and that site says right on the first page:

    Welcome to the site dedicated exclusively to Adobe Photoshop and Photoshop
    plugins and filters for the PC.

    Sigh.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Barbara, Hate to disagree with you but if we are talking about Harry's Filters there is a 1.0 version "unstuffit" which is for Mac Os 9 "which will create a Harrysfilters for Mac folder". The download icon is even marked (Win/Mac).
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Mac Os 9

    They may work in classic, thanks. But they won't work in X, alas.

    That's still true for lots of the best filters, unfortunately, like Eye Candy. If PE works okay in classic, you're home free with those, but for those of us who find it doesn't
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Barbara. Don't worry you can do all these effects like Jodi said with masking, etc... just a few more steps involved.

    Terri
    Terri_Foster@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast