Professional Web Applications Themes

DPI Question (using digital) - Photography

I'm a graphic designer that has been using film and scanning for my work... Up until Friday when I got my 300D. For print work (sending to pro printers for brochures etc). I have always kept my images at 300dpi... With the Canon 300D - the images taken in LARGE format - and downloaded to the computer at 300dpi, the image just under fills an A4 page. So that size is guaranteed... But how far can you push it? What about doing an A3 poster or even A2, A1? If you have had any experience in this I would appreciate ...

  1. #1

    Default DPI Question (using digital)

    I'm a graphic designer that has been using film and scanning for my
    work... Up until Friday when I got my 300D.

    For print work (sending to pro printers for brochures etc). I have
    always kept my images at 300dpi...

    With the Canon 300D - the images taken in LARGE format - and downloaded
    to the computer at 300dpi, the image just under fills an A4 page. So
    that size is guaranteed...

    But how far can you push it? What about doing an A3 poster or even A2,
    A1? If you have had any experience in this I would appreciate some
    tips.

    What about getting the images printed at the photographic stores...
    What resoloution is ok? Do they require 300dpi or can it be lower,
    therefore enabling larger prints?:confused:

    --
    emeraldeye
    emeraldeye's Profile: http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6913

    emeraldeye Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DPI Question (using digital)

    I've been happy with shots from my 10d on 13*19" paper (down as low as 180
    dpi) OK very close up you can see a very slight pixellation , but that is
    well inside normal viewing range and the prints look great at normal viewing
    range.
    I print my own on an Epson 2100 so cant say how pro printshops are for
    quality - but I have heard of 5MP (nikon 5700) being enlarged to A2 at
    least - so I cant see any reason for a good printshop not being able to take
    the 300d's photos to at least as large.
    My suggestion is to try some out and see what results - Good luck -

    "emeraldeye" <forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message
    http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6913

    stanb Guest

  3. #3

    "emeraldeye" <forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

    300dpi is a rule of thumb given to graphic designers by prepress people -
    it's the technically correct resolution for printing at 150 lines per inch
    on an offset press (or any other device which uses the same screening
    system). In real life, the actual dpi can be less - a well-sharpened photo
    onto a matte art paper can go as low as 240 dpi. If your prepress is using
    FM or stochastic screening, you can sometimes get away with even lower. In
    offset work, issues of dot-gain and total ink often change what resolution
    is required.

    Those rules are also aimed at "magazine" work - ie. work that you view at a
    reasonably close range. I've found that poster work often tends to drop in
    resolution as size increases, due to the viewer's distance from the image.

    You also need to consider the printing method - inkjet printers commonly use
    stochasitc-type dot-distribution meaning you can use a lower rez. Each
    specific output device has it's own distinct characteristics and
    requirements. The best thing you can do is talk to the operators (assuming
    they know what they're talking about) and do some tests on the same image at
    different resolutions output on the same machine.

    Russ.

    Russ Guest

  4. #4

    The digital printer used by most photo poster printers is called a 'Lambda'.
    It's made by Durst in Italy and distributed in Australia by Agfa. Check out
    their respective sites for full information but briefly... There is a
    process called 'interpolation' which allows relatively low resolution images
    to be expanded beyond their physical limits. If you want to do this yourself
    on your own inkjet, get hold of an application called Genuine Fractals. It
    can make a 6x4 image at 200 dpi print out at the limit of your inkjet with
    surprisingly good results.

    Doug

    http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6913

    Snaps. Guest

  5. #5

    I've done 60" x 30" from a 1D .. and still impressed by results. Used genuine
    fractals to bump it up ...

    http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6913

    James Guest

  6. #6

    Yes use Genuine Fractals and you can upsize 600%
    without loss of image quality
    Mark.

    Mark Guest

  7. #7

    Default Genuine Fractals [Was: DPI Question (using digital)]

    In article <3f80bcad$0$6528$optusnet.com.au>,
    "Mark" <com.au> wrote:

    G'day Mark,

    I have the impression from something I saw on the web that GF is a
    plugin for Photoshop. True? Or will it work more economically
    otherwise for we povs?

    Cheers, Phred.

    --
    com.INVALID

    Phred Guest

  8. #8

    "emeraldeye" <forums.eyo.com.au> wrote in message

    Large images can get away with a lower line screen. In DTP the final res is
    2x the LPI of the printing plate.

    300dpi = 150lpi (which is close to art magazine)

    Billboard is 20lpi ... so you can imagine, 40dpi is ok.

    Miro Guest

  9. #9

    "Russ" <com> wrote in message

    > 300dpi is a rule of thumb given to graphic designers by prepress people -
    > it's the technically correct resolution for printing at 150 lines per inch
    > on an offset press (or any other device which uses the same screening
    > system). In real life, the actual dpi can be less - a well-sharpened photo
    > onto a matte art paper can go as low as 240 dpi. If your prepress is using
    > FM or stochastic screening, you can sometimes get away with even lower. In
    > offset work, issues of dot-gain and total ink often change what resolution
    > is required.
    >
    > Those rules are also aimed at "magazine" work - ie. work that you view at[/ref]

    use
    at

    That's good advice in my experience.

    Miro Guest

  10. #10

    "Phred" <com> wrote in message

    > G'day Mark,
    >
    > I have the impression from something I saw on the web that GF is a
    > plugin for Photoshop. True? Or will it work more economically
    > otherwise for we povs?[/ref]

    Yes GF is a Plug-in for PS

    A few of other options.....

    1: S-Spline 2... works like GF plus has a Bi-cubic Stair Interpolation
    option like what you can do in PS
    http://www.astrovid.com/S%20-%20Spline.htm

    2: VF Zoom...
    http://www.celartem.com/products/vfzoom.html

    3: Photoshop Stair Interpolation.... increase your "Image Size" in 110%
    steps using PS's Bi-cubic engine, then add a small sharpen at the end. (I
    use this and GF 50/50, it depends on the image, some images are more suited
    to one or the other)

    4: Fred Miranda's PS Actions... simply automates #3, but I find it's
    sharpening a bit harsh.
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/actions

    Russell

    AU Guest

  11. #11

    Hi James,

    I think we can both agree that the 1D, even with its only 4mp, is a
    different kettle of fish - that is one amazing camera. I have seen images in
    the size you mention which are just mind-ing.

    best

    Henrik

    "James R.I. Worrell" <com> wrote in message
    genuine
    > http://forums.eyo.com.au/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6913
    >[/ref]

    Henrik Guest

  12. #12

    Phred wrote:

    Not Mark however ...

    GF is a PS compatible file format plug-in. Its operation is quite
    different to any filter style plug-ins. Files are stored in the GF file
    format and on re-opening a file a dialogue box pops up prompting the
    user for information regarding the size of file that it required and the
    file is then resized and opened for editing/printing etc.

    Rob
    Rob Guest

  13. #13

    com (Phred) wrote in message news:<blrq00$f7ebq$news.uni-berlin.de>...

    > G'day Mark,
    >
    > I have the impression from something I saw on the web that GF is a
    > plugin for Photoshop. True? Or will it work more economically
    > otherwise for we povs?[/ref]

    I'd like to mention S-Spline Pro, which is also a photoshop plugin (as
    well as a standalone application). It can upsize far beyond 600%, and
    provides some advantages over S-Spline 2 such as batch processing,
    support for 16 bit per channel images, being both a standalone program
    and a PS plugin, an improved enlargement algorithm, finetune options
    to squeeze the very best result out of every image, and more. The
    interface is extremely simple to work with, but very effective
    nonetheless.

    Trial version can be downloaded here:
    http://www.shortcut.nl/redirect.php?page=downloads.product&id=ssplinepro

    Hope this helps,