Professional Web Applications Themes

Drag and drop lost after installing OpenOffice. - Mac Applications & Software

I have just tried to install OpenOffice and am regretting it. I had already installed X11 from http://apple.com/macosx/x11/ and that appears to be OK. The OpenOffice installation appeared to run OK until nearly the end, when all of a sudden my other apps (mail, Safari, Terminal) all quit at once, and then the installation simply hung. At the same time I was attempting to clean up some subdirectories in my own directory, and found I could not drag files to Trash. I had to manually kill the installation process from the command line. Since that time, I have not been ...

  1. #1

    Default Drag and drop lost after installing OpenOffice.

    I have just tried to install OpenOffice and am regretting it.

    I had already installed X11 from http://apple.com/macosx/x11/
    and that appears to be OK.

    The OpenOffice installation appeared to run OK until nearly the end,
    when all of a sudden my other apps (mail, Safari, Terminal) all quit at once,
    and then the installation simply hung.

    At the same time I was attempting to clean up some subdirectories in
    my own directory, and found I could not drag files to Trash.

    I had to manually kill the installation process from the command line.

    Since that time, I have not been able to do any dragging and dropping.

    So, my questions are:

    Does anyone know how to restore my drag and drop?
    How do I go about deinstalling OpenOffice (and maybe X11 too)?
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    In article <decus.ch>, decus.ch (Paul Sture) writes:

    A little more information here.

    1. I can no longer move icons around on the desktop. Creating a new user
    and logging in with that shows the same symptoms, so it's not a
    user specific problem. This also means that I cannot move files to
    Trash.

    2. Selecting text in a window can be done, but if I attempt to drag it,
    the drag is not activated. In Terminal, it is as if I had not lifted
    the mouse button in between operations. In other applications, dragging
    simply does nothing.

    I hadn't lifted the mouse button.
    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    In article <decus.ch>,
    decus.ch (Paul Sture) wrote:
     [/ref]

    Try turning the computer off and then starting it up again.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  4. #4

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle Steiner <org> writes: [/ref]

    > Try turning the computer off and then starting it up again.
    >[/ref]

    Well, I never...

    I had tried rebooting (several times), to no avail. Your advice worked
    first time.

    Many thanks.

    Out of curiosity, can anyone explain why a stop/restart of the system
    would fix something that a reboot doesn't?
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    In article <decus.ch>,
    decus.ch (Paul Sture) wrote:

    Because reboot doesn't turn the system off.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  6. #6

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle Steiner <org> writes:

    > Because reboot doesn't turn the system off.
    >[/ref]

    So are you saying that my problem required a hardware reset?

    Or is it something in that grey area between the hardware and software,
    possibly firmware?
    Paul Guest

  7. #7

    In article <decus.ch>,
    decus.ch (Paul Sture) wrote:

    > > Because reboot doesn't turn the system off.[/ref][/ref]

    From what you see happening on the screen and the time it takes to
    occur, it certains looks to a nonexpert as if a Restart or a Shut Down
    followed by an immediate reboot both go through all the same sequence of
    steps (in OS 9, anyway).

    Are there really major things that happen in one and not the other?
    AES/newspost Guest

  8. #8

    In article <decus.ch>,
    decus.ch (Paul Sture) wrote:

    > > Because reboot doesn't turn the system off.[/ref]
    >
    > So are you saying that my problem required a hardware reset?
    >
    > Or is it something in that grey area between the hardware and software,
    > possibly firmware?[/ref]

    I really don't know; I do know that it works, though.

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  9. #9

    In article <stanford.edu>, AES/newspost <edu> writes: [/ref]

    > From what you see happening on the screen and the time it takes to
    > occur, it certains looks to a nonexpert as if a Restart or a Shut Down
    > followed by an immediate reboot both go through all the same sequence of
    > steps (in OS 9, anyway).
    >
    > Are there really major things that happen in one and not the other?[/ref]

    My guess is that the power up sequence reinitializes the complete
    graphics system and a reboot does not.
    Paul Guest

  10. #10

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle Steiner <org> writes:

    >> So are you saying that my problem required a hardware reset?
    >>
    >> Or is it something in that grey area between the hardware and software,
    >> possibly firmware?[/ref]
    >
    > I really don't know; I do know that it works, though.
    >[/ref]

    Thanks for the honest answer.
    Paul Guest