Professional Web Applications Themes

Drat! Microwave intefering with WET11 - Mac Networking

I HAVE AN 802.11 network in my house. I have 2 Airpore Exterem Base Stations running in a WDS mode. Fought the signal strength battle and won with 2 BS's. I only have one 802.11g device (my iBook G4, all the rest are 802.11b) I have 2 Squeezeboxes one in Bedroom, one in Livingroom, and a Slimp3 /WET11 in the familyroom. I usually run the devices in synch mode so the same song is playing on each device at the same time. But, but the Familyroom device is within 10-12 feet of a micorwave oven. When ever someone runs the ...

  1. #1

    Default Drat! Microwave intefering with WET11

    I HAVE AN 802.11 network in my house. I have 2 Airpore Exterem Base
    Stations running in a WDS mode. Fought the signal strength battle and
    won with 2 BS's.

    I only have one 802.11g device (my iBook G4, all the rest are 802.11b)
    I have 2 Squeezeboxes one in Bedroom, one in Livingroom, and a Slimp3
    /WET11 in the familyroom.

    I usually run the devices in synch mode so the same song is playing on
    each device at the same time. But, but the Familyroom device is within
    10-12 feet of a micorwave oven. When ever someone runs the microwave,
    nasty things seem to happen to the Slimp3/WET11, from just stopping and
    staying stoppes and coming unsynched with the rest of the music network,
    to staying in synch, (so it says) but playing a different part of the
    song because of buffering interruptions caused(?) by the micorwave.

    Any sugegstions as to a cure outside of telling folks "Don't use the
    microwave,I'm listening to music", if I moved the SLimp3/WET11 how far
    would it have to be moved?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    AndyD
    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drat! Microwave intefering with WET11

    In article <1gdgylz.1rpn571rvfsc2N%net>, Andy
    Dannelley <net> wrote:

    If you grew up in the era of "rabbit ears" for TV antennas you would
    know that is an unanswerable question. Sometimes the slightest change
    in orientation/location produces large effects. :-)

    Decades ago I did RF tests on a microwave oven. The leakage was very
    small. I have no idea about today's ovens... or your oven. Anyway try
    moving one or the other, you might get lucky.

    I would also change the RF channel your base station is operating on, I
    would expect that to have a greater effect (i.e., if you are on 3 now
    go to 11 or some other channel if the first doesn't work.)

    Cheers,

    Darrell

    --
    To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet2 (at)
    telus.net

  3. #3

    In article <080520041522142744%invalid>,
    Darrell Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    > If you grew up in the era of "rabbit ears" for TV antennas you would
    > know that is an unanswerable question. Sometimes the slightest change
    > in orientation/location produces large effects. :-)
    >
    > Decades ago I did RF tests on a microwave oven. The leakage was very
    > small. I have no idea about today's ovens... or your oven. Anyway try
    > moving one or the other, you might get lucky.
    >
    > I would also change the RF channel your base station is operating on, I
    > would expect that to have a greater effect (i.e., if you are on 3 now
    > go to 11 or some other channel if the first doesn't work.)
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Darrell[/ref]

    Good suggest to just try moving things around.

    Electric fields drop off in field strength as inverse square.
    Magnectic fields drop off faster as inverse cubed.

    In either case the field strength drop off rapidly as you move away from
    the signal source.

    Good luck.

    I don't have extra $$ to try the Squeeze box stuff, but it sounds
    interesting to have music access to your Mac's iTunes library all over
    the house.

    Morenuf
    --
    com.invalid
    morenuf Guest

  4. #4

    Darrell Greenwood <invalid> wrote:

    That's one good suggestion to try.

    Another is that, somewhere in the "all settings" section of the Airport
    Admin Utility, is a setting for "interference robustness", which is
    designed for such situations, but may cut the range.
    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read

  5. #5

    Daniel Cohen <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I moved the WET11 about a foot, and reoriented the antenna, and got some
    relief, but I guess I may need ot move more. More experentation is
    necessary. Thanks to Darrell for the sugestion.

    What does the "inteference robustness" do?

    Does it somehow make the signal better to all devices?

    Thanks,

    Andy
    Andy Guest

  6. #6

    Andy Dannelley <net> wrote:

    I haven't needed to use it myself. I guess it send repeated packets or
    something and compares them.

    You can always try it, and see what happens.

  7. #7

    In article <1gdkeun.18949khzqa5u2N%net>,
    net (Andy Dannelley) wrote:
     [/ref]

    > I moved the WET11 about a foot, and reoriented the antenna, and got some
    > relief, but I guess I may need ot move more. More experentation is
    > necessary. Thanks to Darrell for the sugestion.[/ref]

    Make sure you try re-orienting the basestation too (just turning it in a
    circle). The original Airport BS had a WaveLAN PC Card using it's
    built-in antenna. And it was situated at an angle in the unit (IIRC).
    So it is certainly going to be directional.

    > What does the "inteference robustness" do?
    >
    > Does it somehow make the signal better to all devices?[/ref]

    No, if that were possible it would always be used. Most likely this is
    either retrying packets more or possibly breaking packets up into
    smaller pieces. Either of these would make it work better with poor
    connections but also reduce effective bandwidth.

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest