Professional Web Applications Themes

drawing lines in 3d space? possible? - Macromedia Director 3D

Hello All i am new to Director and trying to see if director will be suitable for a particular project my company is involved in. we are trying to implement an interactive visualization of 3D electric/magnetic field effect. the project involved a 3D space with in which lines are drawn according to a mathmatical 3d field formula. a quick idea of what i'm talking about can be seen here: [url]http://www.falstad.com/vector3dm/[/url] the math to calculate the direction of the movement of particles is given. i am wondering if Macromedia Director offers such facilites with which it is possible to draw lines ...

  1. #1

    Default drawing lines in 3d space? possible?

    Hello All
    i am new to Director and trying to see if director will be suitable for a
    particular project my company is involved in.
    we are trying to implement an interactive visualization of 3D
    electric/magnetic field effect.
    the project involved a 3D space with in which lines are drawn according to a
    mathmatical 3d field formula.
    a quick idea of what i'm talking about can be seen here:
    [url]http://www.falstad.com/vector3dm/[/url]

    the math to calculate the direction of the movement of particles is given. i
    am wondering if Macromedia Director offers such facilites with which it is
    possible to draw lines in a 3d space and make them change in time.

    please comment if you think Director is suitable for such purpose, and if
    possible - please discuss briefly the method to attach such a problem

    sincerely
    Eddie Tuval.

    Eddie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: drawing lines in 3d space? possible?

    yes, it is possible.

    here a example: [url]http://kisd.de/~lutz/3dtest/havoklines/[/url]

    you have just to do this:

    generate a newmesh with three vertices. all can have the same vector(0,0,0)

    than add the toon modifier to that model

    add the meshdeform modifier to that model

    if you know use the meshdeform modifier to set the positions of the vertices
    you can put two of them in one point and the third in to the other pont of the
    line.

    you have to generate for every line a newmesh.

    i did not tested around very much but on my maschine it works not with
    softwarerenderer.

    i think you should use this way if you do not have much lines that have to be
    meshdeformed the whole time.

    i can send you a demofile if you want, but i have to clean it up before i you
    would understand what it is about.

    hondo3000 Guest

  3. #3

    if you could really send me a demofile, that would be absolutly fantastic.

    the kind of lines i'm talking about are 3d curved lines that are formed by a
    mathmatical 3d field formula.
    one most simple example would be a ring in the XY plane or XZ plane or both.

    according to my humble understanding of Macromedia Director - the link
    you've provided shows a deformed mesh and the lines are related to the
    rendering chosen as wireframe - am i right?

    if i'm right then i will need a way to create comples curved lines, perhaps
    with over 50 vertices. is it doable?

    it also looks like at each vertex there is a particle (in this case a kind
    of a box). i need not such boxes in the vertices, in fact i literally need
    just lines.

    regards
    Eddie

    edi909 Guest

  4. #4

    the file you've linked me too, does not enable me to download the .dcr file
    and look at it.
    "hondo3000" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > here is the file: [url]http://kisd.de/~lutz/3dtest/qualle/[/url]
    >
    > i know this is an old example but it shows the meshdeform modifier quite
    > good.
    >
    > if you have questions just ask.
    >
    > and the boxes around the vertices are not nessesary. i just wanted to draw
    > lines between the havok models that have springs, so i have a display for
    > them.
    >
    > the real lines are drawn without the need of the models abound the
    > vertices.

    Eddie Guest

  6. #6

    sorry, my bad, i was replaying from the news group account, and for some reason
    the first top part of your reply didn't show, i now reply from the website, and
    i can see both links, the zip and the other floating thing.. will check things
    up tomorrow first thing in morning. thanks a lot pal.
    chhers

    edi909 Guest