Professional Web Applications Themes

Drawing lines with pen tool - Adobe Illustrator Windows

In Illustrator 10, drawing a series of lines with the pen tool produces opaque areas in line with the first anchor point and the last anchor point, bounded by the line just drawn. I just want the line without the fill. Along the same line, I would like to divide in half along its length a line drawn around a shape and use different colors for each side. Or, place a copy of the line offset from the original. Again, I want each line to be a different color. Thank you. Bill Clifford...

  1. #1

    Default Drawing lines with pen tool

    metrobil@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drawing lines with pen tool

    Bill,

    Opaque areas: In the Toolbox (bottom part), change the Fill to None (red stroke on white background).

    Divide: Add anchor point where you want the division, apply Scissor Tool, and colour each part.

    Copy: You may simply copy and paste (Ctrl+C+V) and place copy.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you, Jacob! I'll give your suggestions a try.
    BC
    metrobil@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Bill, please let us know how it went.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jacob,
    The Fill box answer was the solution to the opacity problem. Why there is no reference in the Help resources is a mystery. Good thing for me that you know how to use the program.
    The Divide issue is still a problem. While the scissors did cut the path for the line, I am looking for some way to slice the line itself in half longitudinally. Then I would like to make each portion a different color. The copy solution does not really work since, at a change in direction, the outside line needs to travel a longer path than the inside portion. Thus, it cannot merely be a copy.
    Hope you can help here.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Bill
    metrobil@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Bill,

    How to divide the path in halves depends on the shape. Add Anchor Points (Alt+O+P+A) divides each segment of the path in halves. The Add Anchor Point Tool (flyout from the Pen Tool, the one with the +) may be used by eye with the help of the Info palette X,Y.

    It sounds as if it is not actually a copy you are looking for.

    Can you describe the path and the way you want it ted?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Jacob,
    I haven't yet had the opportunity to try out your solution using the anchor points. Will do so soon. Meanwhile, I have drawn a line around an irregular shape (a closed loop)using the pen tool with a width of 6 points. I would like to make the inner half one color, and the outer half a different color. I have the same use for an open path.
    Hope this helps you visualize my project.
    Thanks!
    Bill
    metrobil@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    bil,

    What you want can be achieved by making two paths, (of different stroke colors).

    Select your existing path and set the stroke weight to 3 points, then choose Object > Path > Offset Path. Enter an Offset value of 0p3 and accept. This creates a second path offset 3 points outside your original. Assign the second color to the newly created path.
    John Mensinger Guest

  9. #9

    John, Offset Path only works on one side for closed paths, and it does not divide the original colour.

    Bill,

    At least one way to do it is to:

    1) Draw the line with no stroke, no fill; shift to Selection tool and select
    2) Copy and paste in front: Ctrl+C+F
    3) Choose stroke weight (6pt in the case you mentioned)
    4) Outline path: Alt+O+P+U
    5) Add anchor points: Alt+O+P+A and select both paths
    6) Create compound path: Alt+O+O+M
    7) Choose Divide in the Pathfinder palette (alongside Transform)
    8) Ungroup: Ctrl+Shift+G: you are there.

    Now you may pick either half to change colour.

    In some cases, it is not necessary to add andchor points (5), but it is easier to do it unnecessary than to do it all over again because it was.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest