Professional Web Applications Themes

Drawing on textures in Director 3D - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi, I would like to move a ball on a plane (which is not so difficult of course), but on the plane, The ball should leave a trail as if the ball was dipped in ink and is writing. The best thing to tru to do that seems to be able to draw pixels on the plane texture. Can this be done ? Are there special things I should be aware of or look at ? Kind regards, Bart...

  1. #1

    Default Drawing on textures in Director 3D

    Hi,

    I would like to move a ball on a plane (which is not so difficult of
    course), but on the plane, The ball should leave a trail as if the
    ball was dipped in ink and is writing.

    The best thing to tru to do that seems to be able to draw pixels on
    the plane texture.

    Can this be done ?

    Are there special things I should be aware of or look at ?

    Kind regards,

    Bart
    Bart Libert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drawing on textures in Director 3D

    Hi Bart,

    > I would like to move a ball on a plane (which is not so difficult of
    > course), but on the plane, The ball should leave a trail as if the
    > ball was dipped in ink and is writing.
    >
    > The best thing to tru to do that seems to be able to draw pixels on
    > the plane texture.
    >

    > Can this be done ?
    It sure can, check out the drawing side of the Shockwave 3D box at...

    [url]http://www.candointeractive.com/web3d-fr/Web3dToy.htm[/url]
    > Are there special things I should be aware of or look at ?
    Not really... just some general optimising techniques ( keep the image
    that you are drawing to as a property etc )

    Mal
    Mal Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your info.

    That demo toybox seems impressive indeed.

    Any source available ? Especially the drawing on textures part is not
    yet clear to be.

    SHould I use imaging lingo to draw on a cast member and then atach
    that member to a texture every time I draw a change on the texture?

    Can you help me with some (pseudo)code ?

    regards,

    Bart

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:39:49 +0100, Mal <malcandointeractive.com>
    wrote:
    >Hi Bart,
    >>
    >> I would like to move a ball on a plane (which is not so difficult of
    >> course), but on the plane, The ball should leave a trail as if the
    >> ball was dipped in ink and is writing.
    >>
    >> The best thing to tru to do that seems to be able to draw pixels on
    >> the plane texture.
    >>

    >> Can this be done ?
    >
    >It sure can, check out the drawing side of the Shockwave 3D box at...
    >
    >[url]http://www.candointeractive.com/web3d-fr/Web3dToy.htm[/url]
    >
    >> Are there special things I should be aware of or look at ?
    >
    >Not really... just some general optimising techniques ( keep the image
    >that you are drawing to as a property etc )
    >

    >Mal
    Bart Libert Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Bart,
    > SHould I use imaging lingo to draw on a cast member and then atach
    > that member to a texture every time I draw a change on the texture?
    You need to make a copy of the pure image object ( eg as a property ),
    working with the cast member directly will be slower.

    When you have a reference to the texture that you want to change ( eg
    pTex ) and one to the image ( eg pImage ), you can update the image on
    each frame ( maybe initailly just clear it with random colours ), and
    then call this...

    pTex.image = pImage

    You'll now see the texture changing on-screen.
    > Can you help me with some (pseudo)code ?
    I checked quickly through the code, it's a bit all of the place,
    hopefully the above info will help.

    Mal
    Mal Guest

  5. #5

    Default XPost: Help: Last minute testers for car app

    Hi folks,

    I'm wrapping up v1 of our academic car application within the next 7
    days. ( it's going to be going on the front of some UK magazines )

    If you have 3DS Max, Maya or other 3D apps with Shockwave 3D export, I'd
    be very grateful if you could take 15 minutes out to test the app and
    try to create your own level.

    You can download the latest version of the app here...
    [url]http://www.candointeractive.com/gamedesign/car[/url]

    All assistance will be much appreciated, and will result in a free
    portfolio license of the application :)

    Best regards...
    Mal

    Also, can anyone recommend US / European / Other 3D artist related
    magazines with cover CD's? If they have a website, letting me know the
    URL would be excellent!
    Mal Guest