Professional Web Applications Themes

'Drawing' tables? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Where can I get this script for OS X and Windows? I need something like this for my ad placement needs. I can't seem to find where in the defaults for InDesign to change this. I've scoured the prefence file and ended up empty handed....

  1. #1

    Default Re: 'Drawing' tables?

    matt@mattbeals.com Guest

  2. #2

    You can't change the table defaults. As for a script, check Dave
    Saunders website: www.pdsassoc.com.

    I think he's got something posted there.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    I really appreciate this script that Dave Saunders made. I haven't used it quite yet, but I need it so badly I can taste it. I have about 300 pages of tables, all with the same visual style to import from Excel so this will save my life.

    There's only one thing that bugs me. Dave will also give you an undo script if you pay for the table import one. If you don't pay, it's use at your own risk. While I definitely feel that Dave deserves all he gets for helping other users out, I find this disturbing in the business sense. For one, how is it that there's no "save table style" on the table options pallete? I found that to be almost shocking. So now we have to pay hundreds for the program and then go around and pay every community member who decides to help make it a complete program? Silly if you ask me.

    So I have a question. Does CS2 let you save table formating presets?
    hitpawz@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    So perhaps all I should do is send them a scented thank you card for registering and just give away everything.

    I tell you, it's real nice that people say nice things about my scripts, but I'm just about ready to pack it in for all the real support I get.

    My wife would much prefer to be able to pay the mortgage than read encouraging messages.

    Perhaps I'm just in a bad mood today so this message is very poorly timed.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Unreal, absolutely unreal.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    Dave, I think hitpaws' comments were intended as a sincere complement, but it's easy to see how they could be taken otherwise. If I read his post correctly, he's criticizing Adobe's lack of support for table styles, and saying it's a pity fellow users have to create scripts to fill that void. Unfortunately, his wording was ambiguous enough to make it seem like a slam on you for your pricing policy.

    As someone who has always admired your hard work around here, I thank you personally for you participation in the forums.

    I hope your day gets better!

    Scott

    P.S.: Not bad for a loathsome Lounge Panda, eh?
    Scott_McCullough@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Haha, well for one I had no clue the author would read this and two, I for absolute sure did not mean to insult Mr. Saunders. Yes, my post was aimed directly at Adobe and I was making an attempt to classify you as one of the community members who was kind enough to fill in their gaps.

    I do feel that you deserve to get financial benefits from your hard work on that script. I said that. However, even though I am already pegged here as a badguy, I'm going to take it further and solidify my reasoning here. So you can continue to hate me if you want, it doesn't matter your mood and I won't take it personally.

    I'm not very active in the Adobe community anymore. I'm lucky enough to be at a stage where I don't need to rely on too many outside sources for answers to my questions. However, I am extremely involved in another particular video game community who are all striving to make great mods for the game. Within that community and the various message boards scattered about, script swapping is pretty much the norm. Now this is very different than Adobe, because a lot of what is needed to make games is coding, so it's almost the main meat of the process. What does that have to do with anything? Well it just means that I'm used to passing out and receiving helpful scripts all the time (on an almost daily basis). That's the entire reason why I mentioned anything in the first place because I had just gotten a helpful script earlier that day and then I found yours. Which again, and I really do want this to be stressed over all other things that I'm mentioning here, you deserve everything you can get out of it.

    I would happily give you the money to get the full script. Unfortunately, I'm both a graphic artist and living in the bay area, so it's not like I actually have an extra $25 to toss around. That's my Ramen money. I am, however, trying to convince my employers that it is extremely useful and to perhaps spend the cash. It's not that I really even need the script undo because I can simply replace the whole thing again, but I talked to them about it anyway so that other people who work in InDesign here can have it too and it won't be so destructive to the doent if used wrong. Understand that I spoke to them thoroughly about this yesterday, which is before today and before I read the misinterpretation of my last post.

    But admittedly, it's not as misinterpreted as I'm saying. I was triggered by your methods of getting money. If you ask me, it's Adobe that should be paying you, not its users. They should recognize the usefulnes of your script and either purchase it from you or implement it into the app with a money settlement between you and them. I'd personally rather you not remove any helpful features from the script and simply put your financial gains into maybe a donation request. You see, your script is awesome. Very useful and it works! But you made it possibly destructive unless we pay. I suppose that's good business sense perhaps? But wouldn't it be more lucrative to not give the script at all unless it's bought and perhaps reduce your asking price and increase awareness through online word of mouth or advertising? You may end up with a lot more business that way. Of course, I'm not very smart in business (or with people) so I'm probably wrong.

    Does anybody remember me from years ago? I think I stirred up trouble then too. Haha. I guess I'll never grow up.

    Dave, if I can get these guys to pay for the script, will you hate me less?
    hitpawz@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Many of us would like to see table styles as part of InDesign. But right
    now it's not. ID was specifically designed to allow plugins and scripts
    to do the jobs that the program can't do out of the box.

    While I understand your disappointment at not having the feature
    available, I find the rest of your arguments absolutely out of line.

    Would you feel better if nobody had any solutions at all for your needs?

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    hitpawz@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    You're certainly acting like an immature child. Another post like that I'll end you access to the forums.

    You haven't pointed out anything except for the fact that you don't want to buy anything. Call GM and complain that their cars need gas.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  11. #11

    You know, others and myself are simply here to look for answers that are befuddling in the least.

    I can't believe how this thread has been hijacked by what appears to be personal vendettas and that has degenerated into the equivalent of my 5 year olds playground. Obviously the parties concerned have sparred before. Next time someone wants to curse or otherwise flame another, do it off line.
    matt@mattbeals.com Guest

  12. #12

    now we have to pay hundreds for the program and then go around and pay
    every community member who decides to help make it a complete program?

    While I appreciate your frustration, I will point out that not every community member who has posted scripts and other add-ons expects to be paid for the contribution.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    but I talked to them about it anyway so that other people who work in
    InDesign here can have it too and it won't be so destructive to the doent
    if used wrong.

    "…so that other people who work in InDesign here can have it too…"

    Did you buy one copy of InDesign and share it with those other people too?
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator

  15. #15

    Dave,

    You don't have to defend yourself. Everyone who has seen what you do in this forum (and the scripting forum) should be grateful for that. I often ask myself if you ever sleep; I envy you for that. And I think it is perfectly reasonable to ask money for scripts that are so well doented and packaged. After all, I get payed for scripts I write for others also; I just don't make them publicly available because of the work involved (doentation, cross platform compatibility, etc.).

    To all the others: we should be careful in what we say to people like Dave: he just might decide not to do anything for those forums anymore. Let's not get the 'tone' of these forums deteriorate any further.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Dave,

    Don't let Stu get you down. He's just one of those sad, negative people who get off on dissing others. It's best just not to give them too much mind.

    We know what a great job you do!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I merely pointed out that something another poster said was incorrect. I offered no opinion on whether it was good, bad, or indifferent to charge for scripts. If you want to be offended by that, hey, whatever makes you smile.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Bull! It was an absolute insult and you know it.

    You used to post useful information around here, but it's been quite a
    while since you've done anything but complain.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  19. #19

    I was wondering when you would jump into this, Bob. How you can read an insult into what I said is totally beyond me. Dave, or anyone else, has the right to charge for his work. I might have charged for some of my own work except that then that brings with it the responsibility to support it, and I don't care to be burdened with that.

    I think you need to take a few days off. You're clearly too wound up to see or think straight.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    And yet another useful post from Mr. Bloom. You're the one who obviously
    needs some time off. Everyone else seems to see right through your insults.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast