Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver Crash on Save (Using Templates) - Macromedia Dreamweaver

My Dreamweaver be Crashin! I have validated the template to make sure there is no funkyness like unclosed <td>'s and the such. I validated it in both DW and Homesite. Everything looks hunky dory! I re-created my site cache, rebooted, sacraficed a chicken, prayed to the macromedia spirits of old (Shelving unit with 9 previous versions and upgrades of various macromedia products of old). This is kinda getting annoying. I have been reviewing the code line by line, and I cant seem to get the page to stop encountering "fatal error". The process that I am performing is open file, ...

  1. #1

    Default Dreamweaver Crash on Save (Using Templates)

    My Dreamweaver be Crashin!

    I have validated the template to make sure there is no funkyness like unclosed <td>'s and the such.

    I validated it in both DW and Homesite. Everything looks hunky dory! I re-created my site cache, rebooted, sacraficed a chicken, prayed to the macromedia spirits of old (Shelving unit with 9 previous versions and upgrades of various macromedia products of old).

    This is kinda getting annoying. I have been reviewing the code line by line, and I cant seem to get the page to stop encountering "fatal error". The process that I am performing is open file, Update template, Save. Save dies, not update template which I am used to when site cache is corrupt. The change in the template is very very small. The old and new vary only by a line or two. And to re-ittterate, I have validated both templates and the HTMl to no avail.

    Vince

    vin-E webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dreamweaver Crash on Save (Using Templates)

    >0. What is your version of Dreamweaver? And when you right click on the DW
    >executable, what is the build number you see in the properties panel?
    MX (6.0 but I know i installed a patch to deal with SourceSave problems, so its something like 6.01)
    >1. What is your OS?
    Win 2K
    >2. What is your AntiVirus?
    Nortons
    >3. Is your AntiVirus doing realtime protection?
    Yes, but I cant do much about that. Darn IST Department
    >4. What is your Firewall?
    Big and Ugly - I work for Mary Kay, things are pretty tight here, I havent the slightest idea what they are running
    >5. What other background programs are running?
    Alot of stuff. 30 background process that deal with the IST and system OS. Might be easier to ask if your looking for something in particular.
    >6. What extensions do you have installed?
    Not really extensions on a PC.
    >7. Where are your 'local' files? Are they on a network shared drive?
    All files are local on my Hard Drive
    >8. Have you ever been able to run DMX or is this a recent failure?
    Every so often I get a failure like this. Usually I get around it but either a) finding some small piece of code that is not closed, like a TD or a span, or b) by using another editor, Homesite, make the change and be done.
    >9. Does this only seem to happen with certain files/sites?
    Yes, all of the 500+ pages are one of 8 or 9 different templates. And a whole sub directory will be OK, cept one file. Once that file is evil, no amount of re-booting, recreateing cache, or any other voodoo magic will repair that file... UNless I edit it in Homesite, or another text editor. Then I can go back and life is good.
    >10. Does recreating the site cache (SITE | Recreate Site Cache) help?
    Not in these instances. Like I said, once I edit the file externally, save it, and possibly update all templates, then life usually gets better. Worst case scenareo is the file completely corrupts whan I update all pages, and the page has to be re-created from scratch.

    I am OK for now. I am updating the pages using external editors. But it gets annoying and bothersome to keep running over to homesite to make changes. It randomly goes evil, something I cant explain. When the Template goes evil (Yeah this happens) Its even harder to edit in Homesite because homesite does not see .dwt. I have to check ou t the file, change the extension, modify and validate the file, save, change the extension back, and upload. And If I forgot to mention this, When things go evil, I usually run a code cleaner on them. Getting Rid of redundant or empty tags, Reformatting the source code, etc. Just so I can check the open/close backeting.

    Sorry if this isnt enough info. I guess I really dont need a solution as I am working around it. I think this is more of a bug report that DW gets evil every so often, and although there is a way around it, its strange to have to jump through that many hoops. I have created over 2500 pages in the past 4 months, so I know a few things about templates, and work arounds....