Professional Web Applications Themes

dreamweaver fatal exception - Macromedia Dreamweaver

  1. #1

    Default Re: dreamweaver fatal exception

    >"I don't know how it can be a cell present when there isn't a cell there...

    Of course, this is part of the problem. The layout view looks like there is a cell there when
    there is not.
    >But it really doesn't matter. Your example/problem is demonstrating the
    >code generated in Layout view. get out of it and *never* return again.
    >Use Design (Standard) view and Code view *only*."
    I'm new to the forums but have been watching the newsgroups and reading DW books...

    I've never heard it suggested that the layout view should not be used. Is that the generally
    held point of view.

    Understand that I can work around this. I am trying to report a bug so that it can be fixed.
    DW should never crash, under any cirstance. Certainly not because of a little weird html.

    Do I take it that Macromedia does not any provide any support for the product, unless you
    buy a support package? Not even email support? Or do Macromedia reps work on the
    forums?

    jpeterson@ainet.com webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    I've never heard it suggested that the layout view should not be used. Is that the generally

    I personally never use layout. It's weird and messes with my head...

    DW should never crash, under any cirstance. Certainly not because of a little weird html.

    You're new to Dreamweaver aren't you? :P

    Do I take it that Macromedia does not any provide any support for the product, unless you buy a support package? Not even email support? Or do Macromedia reps work on the
    forums?

    You get 2 free support questions... There are some MM ppl on these forums I think though I've never had the immense honour of posting to one!!

    MX is like a box of chocolates - Someone's usually eaten the good bits already!
    Flashjunky webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    "jpetersonainet.com" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > dwmx on win2000 dies when i attempt to insert a button.
    >
    > I have a simple table, 2 rows, 3 cells each. i click in the lower right
    cell.
    > I insert, form object, button.
    >
    > a popup reports
    >
    > "Dreamweaver encountered a fatal exception. Dreamweaver will now
    terminate."

    > i click okay to acknowlege the message. a tiny alert box pops up. it
    says

    > "OK"
    >
    > it has no window title. i click the okay and dw exits.
    >
    > Clue: you have to be layout mode. there is actually no lower right cell.
    but it appears
    > that there is when layout mode. in code view you can see that the table
    actually is three cells
    > over two cells. when you click into the lower right cell, you don't
    really get
    > focus on it.
    I have a similar problem happening. Sometimes it will happen just upon
    opening a file, other times it happens when I copy a row from a table in,
    say "page 1" and then paste said row in another table. For me, it seems
    somehow related to odd characters I'm using - an N-dash (alt-0150).

    Hunter Elliott Guest

  4. #4

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:bf8fcv$5tt$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > "jpetersonainet.com" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I don't know how it can be a cell present when there isn't a cell there...
    >
    > But it really doesn't matter. Your example/problem is demonstrating the
    > code generated in Layout view. get out of it and *never* return again.
    > Use Design (Standard) view and Code view *only*.
    Dan, this is pretty much the same problem I was mentioning to you offline -
    For me, this is happening in Design view. :) I reapplied the SP/updater the
    other day to see if that helps (so far it has), figuring I had a corrupt
    file somewhere.

    Hunter Elliott Guest

  5. #5

    "jpetersonainet.com" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    >>"I don't know how it can be a cell present when there isn't a cell there...
    >

    > Of course, this is part of the problem. The layout view looks like there is a cell there when
    > there is not.
    >

    >>But it really doesn't matter. Your example/problem is demonstrating the
    >>code generated in Layout view. get out of it and *never* return again.
    >>Use Design (Standard) view and Code view *only*."
    >

    > I'm new to the forums but have been watching the newsgroups and reading DW books...
    >
    > I've never heard it suggested that the layout view should not be used. Is that the generally
    > held point of view.
    >
    > Understand that I can work around this. I am trying to report a bug so that it can be fixed.
    > DW should never crash, under any cirstance. Certainly not because of a little weird html.
    >
    > Do I take it that Macromedia does not any provide any support for the product, unless you
    > buy a support package? Not even email support? Or do Macromedia reps work on the
    > forums?

    Yes, you're right. The table is missing a cell down right. Whether this
    is due DW or by you, I can not say. No offense, but I think it's might
    be you who made some mistake.

    To add the missing cell, find the code that looks:

    href="http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/">Dreamweaver
    Support</a><br />

    Then add this after:

    So that it'll look:

    href="http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/">Dreamweaver
    Support</a><br />

    You will now get the missing cell and can add whatever you like in it.

    Anyway, *that* is not enough to make DW crash. Instead, if you look at
    the absolute top of the page, you have a tag that looks like this:

    That one has nothing to do there. It should reside inside the head section.

    Also, you might want to clean up all spaces between tags in code view,
    plus removing a couple of <p> tags that don't think you need.

    As for Layout view: If you've been lurking here for a while, you haven't
    read the posts carefully enough. The general meaning is: *Get out of
    Layout view. Never use it*. In some kind of attempt to make DW "easier"
    for the not-so-experienced designer, MM developed the monster. But there
    *is* no short cut to good code. As you have experienced....

    MM employees are answering question here on very rare occasions.

    HTH

    PS. Welcome!
    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  6. #6

    > I've never heard it suggested that the layout view
    > should not be used. Is that the generally held
    > point of view.

    Layout view typically writes code full of table and cell dimensions that are
    deprecated code and won't work in many cases. It also will usually write
    code filled with COLSPAN and ROWSPAN attributes that cause your page to fall
    apart badly when the size of the content changes. Most knowledgeable people
    recommend you avoid it like the plague.

    Gary

    Gary White Guest

  7. #7

    "Flashjunky" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > DW should never crash, under any cirstance. Certainly not because of a
    little weird html.

    > You're new to Dreamweaver aren't you? :P
    :) I can't speak for the person who started the thread, but DW crashes for
    me at least once a week. I'm neither new to HTML nor to DW.

    Hunter Elliott Guest

  8. #8

    PS.
    Almost forgot:
    I'm not sure about the tag that looks:

    I *think* you should have a simple <html> there instead.....

    Dan

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  9. #9

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:bf90gu$65p$1forums.macromedia.com...
    > PS.
    > Almost forgot:
    > I'm not sure about the tag that looks:
    >
    > I *think* you should have a simple <html> there instead.....
    Not really, when you're working with an XHTML doent. Also, when using
    XHTML, the XML prolog, <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>, does in
    fact belong ABOVE the <html> and <head> tags. Most people recommend removing
    the XML prolog because it is not REQUIRED by the specifications, only
    recommended, and it throws IE into quirks mode because of a bug in IE.

    Gary

    Gary White Guest