Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver FTP via a proxy connection? - Adobe Dreamweaver & Contribute

I am finding it so far impossible to FTP using Dreamweaver. I get this error message: -- An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host cannot be found. -- 1. FTP Program I normally use is Dreamweaver. This works fine on a direct dial-up connection, but not when connecting via proxy (network). I also have used WS-FTP successfully, but it too has so far not wanted to connect when I am using the proxy connection. This computer is using Windows 98 SE. 2. The error message that I receive when I attempt to log on ...

  1. #1

    Default Dreamweaver FTP via a proxy connection?

    --
    An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host.
    The remote host cannot be found.
    --

    1. FTP Program I normally use is Dreamweaver. This works fine on a direct
    dial-up connection, but not when connecting via proxy (network). I also
    have used WS-FTP successfully, but it too has so far not wanted to connect
    when I am using the proxy connection. This computer is using Windows 98 SE.

    2. The error message that I receive when I attempt to log on for FTP is:
    An FTP errror occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host
    cannot be found.

    3. I am not behind a firewall (XP firewall is disabled), but I am using a
    proxy connection. This is on a home network, and the gateway computer has
    Winproxy, enabling the other computers on the network to access the internet
    via that one dialup connection. This works fine for HTTP, just not FTP (so
    far).

    4. I am currently running Norton SystemWorks on this computer. I tried
    disabling Autoprotect, but got the same FTP error message.

    Please let me know what you think I should try. I am willing to use
    Dreamweaver or WS-FTP to upload, whatever will work. I would even use
    web-based uploading if necessary, if you offer that feature. Thanks -

    Scott Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dreamweaver FTP via a proxy connection?

    Scott wrote:
    > I am finding it so far impossible to FTP using Dreamweaver. I get this
    > error message:
    > --
    > An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host.
    > The remote host cannot be found.
    > --
    >
    > 1. FTP Program I normally use is Dreamweaver. This works fine on a direct
    > dial-up connection, but not when connecting via proxy (network). I also
    > have used WS-FTP successfully, but it too has so far not wanted to connect
    > when I am using the proxy connection. This computer is using Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > 2. The error message that I receive when I attempt to log on for FTP is:
    > An FTP errror occurred - cannot make connection to host. The remote host
    > cannot be found.
    >
    > 3. I am not behind a firewall (XP firewall is disabled), but I am using a
    > proxy connection. This is on a home network, and the gateway computer has
    > Winproxy, enabling the other computers on the network to access the internet
    > via that one dialup connection. This works fine for HTTP, just not FTP (so
    > far).
    >
    > 4. I am currently running Norton SystemWorks on this computer. I tried
    > disabling Autoprotect, but got the same FTP error message.
    >
    > Please let me know what you think I should try. I am willing to use
    > Dreamweaver or WS-FTP to upload, whatever will work. I would even use
    > web-based uploading if necessary, if you offer that feature. Thanks -

    You've given a lot of information but still not enough :-)

    Is your web site hosted on Linux or windows?

    Things to try:

    Look for passive mode in your FTP software (not sure if Dreamweaver has
    it or not) and enable it. I host sites on a Linux machine and this
    solved most problems.

    If you have a slow connection (ie dial-up), try increasing the time-out
    value setting in your FTP program. For instance if the default is 60:00,
    try changing it to 120:00. Many of our customers have had problems with
    Dreamweaver and this fix also worked for them.

    Setup your server (WinXP) to port forward 21 to your win98 IP address. I
    don't know if this will help or not but I had trouble with some programs
    and port forwarding solved it.

    Check to make sure your ISP isn't having problems.

    If none of those work post what happened and I'll see what else I can
    think of.

    Simon Day.

    Simon Day Guest