Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver MX Trial Is Unusable - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Can it be motherboard related? "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message news:beigco$ngr$1forums.macromedia.com... > Magic: > > > I have recently been having strange performance problems with my software > in general > > I'd say from this observation and the later symptoms you describe for DMX > that there are problems with your system. > > I must say that the number of people here successfully using DMX on systems > that don't come close to your specs is very large. I use it all day on P3 > 933 W2KPro and P42.1 WXPPro without those issues. > > So ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Dreamweaver MX Trial Is Unusable

    Showjumper Guest

  2. #2

    Could be .. or related to the trial. I haven't used the trial as such ..
    but I run DMX 6.1 on a 433 mhz Win 2KPro system with 160 mb ram and I don't
    have those kind of problems!!

    --
    Nancy Gill
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev

    Nancy Gill Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the replies.

    Yes, it does make sense that the Dreamweaver problems might be related to problems with my system. What I find suspect, though, is that they are happening now ONLY with Dreamweaver. It's possible that it's some kind of system/application interaction, but what?

    Keith

    Magic Speller webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    DW4 did the same for me when I first installed it. Tried re-installing it
    and it didn't help. I was also have some other strange system problems and
    re-installed the OS on a new hard drive and that fixed the problem. Just
    like you, everything else came up at a reasonable amount of time except DW.
    It took about 4 minutes with almost no hard drive activity. My system just
    hung the whole time. And with no other applications running. Once I was in
    the program, it seemed to work OK, maybe a little sluggish, but not too bad.
    Never did figure out what it was, but the OS re-install fixed it! FWIW, I
    had a PII 500 which had Win 98 1st ed and DW4 trial. When I re-installed the
    OS, I used Win 98SE, and purchased and installed Studio MX.

    Robert
    --
    "If God had intended for us to see the sunrise,
    He would have scheduled it later in the day."

    "Magic Speller" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I just downloaded the trial of Studio MX yesterday. So far, all I've
    installed is Dreamweaver; it performs so poorly I'm afraid to try anything
    else.

    > I have recently been having strange performance problems with my software
    in general. However, all the problems seem to have cleared up EXCEPT for
    Dreamweaver.

    > Unlike some who have had problems previously, I don't have an antivirus
    program running. (In fact, I've tried closing all applications except for
    Kerio Personal Firewall before running it.) I don't have large Web pages
    loaded or extensions installed. Usually, in fact, the problem appears when I
    first start the application up. I click on "Trial", the splash screen comes
    up, and nothing happens. Not only that, but the process is impossible to
    kill. I end up having to reboot.

    > Today, when I got to the splash screen, I decided to wait and see what
    happened. I went off to do some other things, came back 10 or 15 minutes
    later, and it had actually finished loading.

    > On the rare occasion when the program does load, it's extremely sluggish.
    I click on a menu and don't get the menu options for several seconds.
    Sometimes they never do appear, and I have to click a second or third time.

    > And then sometimes it hangs completely while I'm working in the
    application. Sometimes application windows don't draw completely, as if my
    resources were low.

    > I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 on a Dell 8200 with a 2.4 GHz P4 processor
    and 512 MB of RAM. I have lots of virtual disk space, as well as free disk
    for applications and data. I've defragged my drives. I've run two anti-virus
    scanners and two spyware detectors and found nothing.

    > What else can I do to make this application usable?
    >
    > Thanks for your help. It appears that, as a trial user, this is my only
    avenue for support.

    Robert Guest

  5. #5

    Magic:

    That only means that none of the other software you have so far tried is
    exercising your system the same way that DW is. I suppose if you tried
    *all* the software in the universe, you'd find some other programs that
    fail, as well.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thanks for the replies.
    >
    > Yes, it does make sense that the Dreamweaver problems might be related to
    problems with my system. What I find suspect, though, is that they are
    happening now ONLY with Dreamweaver. It's possible that it's some kind of
    system/application interaction, but what?

    > Keith

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Show wrote:
    > Can it be motherboard related?
    Possibly, but I'm thinking more along the lines of memory. I'm under warranty, so I'm going to call Dell and see if they can have someone come out and test the memory modules. RDRAM for this thing is horrendously expensive.

    (If they send someone, I'll definitely have the motherboard checked, too!)

  7. #7

    Magic:

    That only means that none of the other software you have so far tried is
    exercising your system the same way that DW is. I suppose if you tried
    *all* the software in the universe, you'd find some other programs that
    fail, as well.

    I think you're probably right, Murray. This is what I was trying to hint at in my earlier message.

    I'm wondering what it is about Dreamweaver that "exercises" my system so strenuously? I'm a power user who uses some pretty CPU- and memory-intensive software, but only DW acts this way :-(.

  8. #8

    Nancy, I just realized you're a volunteer, not an employee. Feel free to ignore my last reply to you; sorry.

    Robert, I'm resigned to the fact that I may eventually have to reinstall Windows. It's the "new hard drive" part that scares me. Not only do I not have the money for new hardware, but every time I do this, it takes me literally weeks to get back to normal with all the software I have.

    Thanks for reporting your similar experience.

  9. #9

    Magic:

    Because of Dreamweaver's extensability, it opens and closes hundreds if not
    thousands of files as you use it. This will drive a realtime virus
    protection environment nuts trying to keep up with things, and the
    combination of the two could be fatal.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Magic:
    >
    > That only means that none of the other software you have so far tried is
    > exercising your system the same way that DW is. I suppose if you tried
    > *all* the software in the universe, you'd find some other programs that
    > fail, as well.
    >

    > I think you're probably right, Murray. This is what I was trying to hint
    at in my earlier message.

    > I'm wondering what it is about Dreamweaver that "exercises" my system so
    strenuously? I'm a power user who uses some pretty CPU- and memory-intensive
    software, but only DW acts this way :-(.

    > Keith

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  10. #10

    It could be a freshly formatted hard drive or even re-installing windows in
    a new directory. I had tried to re-install windows over itself and that did
    not fix the problem. But always worth a try rather than a fresh install!

    Good Luck!

    Robert
    --

    > Nancy, I just realized you're a volunteer, not an employee. Feel free to
    ignore my last reply to you; sorry.

    > Robert, I'm resigned to the fact that I may eventually have to reinstall
    Windows. It's the "new hard drive" part that scares me. Not only do I not
    have the money for new hardware, but every time I do this, it takes me
    literally weeks to get back to normal with all the software I have.

    > Thanks for reporting your similar experience.
    >
    > Keith

    Robert Guest

  11. #11

    Magic:

    I'm glad to hear you are back in business.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Things are finally fixed (mostly). I had major problems reinstalling
    Windows, but finally succeeding, in the process losing, I think, everything
    on my c: drive. Fortunately, I store most of my applications and data in
    separate partitions, so they weren't lost. Unfortunately, I still have to
    reinstall all my applications because the registry keys were lost. And I
    lost a year's worth of email, somehow, and spent several hours working to
    get 11 of the 12 months back.

    > The good news is that Dreamweaver opens in a few seconds now! I don't know
    what the problem was, but it's no longer there.

    > Thanks to everyone for their input.
    >
    > --
    > Keith

    Murray *TMM* Guest