Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver suddenly running slow - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Just a few minutes ago I posted a thread about DW slowing to a crawl using DW 6.1 on Mac OSX Ver. 10.2.6 and then found this previous thread. Has anyone been able to speed things up? I'm not running virus sofware, although I should be. Things were running just fine until earler today and I have not loaded any new software or extensions. I've re-installed the software but this has not sped anything up but my deadlines. Thanks for any advice......

  1. #1

    Default Re:Dreamweaver suddenly running slow

    AlaskaDave webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    AlaskaDave,

    I'm not sure if a reinstall overwrites the DWMX pref file in your account pref folder. Save your current prefs to the desktop and delete the DWMX prefs in the account prefs folder. Relaunch DW and see if that helps any. This helped me recently with a sudden DW slowdown on OSX. If yes then put your old prefs back in (they contain all your site info) and export your site files to .ste. Retrash your prefs and relaunch DMW on a fresh pref file (import site files from previus pref set).

    See if it works

    Peter

    schmeete webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi

    Can you tell me if you resolved this problem with Dreamweaver running slow.

    As l cannot update web pages due to this problem.

    I have re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Dreamweaver.
    Also removed ALL shareware programs but it still runs very very slow.

    Any assistance would be much appeciated.

    jj1972 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hello everyone .. been following this thread for awhile as I try to figure out why I am having the same problem as everyone else. At first I thought for sure it was a dreamweaver bug ... but now I am not so sure ... let me give everyone my system details and then explain what I did to fix things ... not sure this will work for everyone, but it sure worked for me .... I am running like a champ now.

    I am running a small LAN on a Linksys 4 port router with an uplinked Asante 10T hub for printers. Road Runner for internet access. We have two PC's, mine and my wifes, Dell(XP) and homebuilt (win2000) respectively. We are also have a Dual G4 500mhz running 10.2.6 with 1 gig of memory and a FP iMac running Panther Beta. All DW work is done on the G4 and all data is stored on the Dell. On the Dell the share for DW site files is mapped for both of the PC's on the same drive letter and is set up locally with open permissions for Everyone. We are running Norton 2003 Pro on both PC's and Virex on the both the Mac's.

    At first I was sure that it was an issue within Dreamweaver ... but upon further reflection and testing ... I discovered that the problem went away when the files were moved locally to the G4. This narrowed things down to the LAN. From there I did some file moving via SMB to and from Mac and PC ... no major problems but slow... then I tried something someone suggested earlier in the thread... and it definately works ... exclude the shared site files from Norton. Norton activily slows down the interaction between the Macs and the PC's as it scans incoming and outgoing files on the LAN. In fact .. I have noticed a huge improvement in finder file refreshes and file transfers also. It means you have to be careful about what you move back and forth while unprotected .. but I am flying through my work now ..

    Hope this helps.

    Jamie

    ICTHUSDIGITAL webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    I do not have any Norton untilies installed.

    But still get the problem, any ideas as to what is causing it.

    jj1972 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  6. #6

    Hi ,

    I have re-installed Dreamweaver and re-formmated hard drive but still get problem with pages taking ages to load up. and dreamweaver running slow.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    jj1972 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Have you managed to fix the problem with Dreamweaver running slow?

    As l cannot update any pages on my site at the moment , as the program is just running to slow.

    Any help or advice would be much apprciated.

    Justin.

    jj1972 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    a) roughly how large is this site? number of files, size of files?

    b) is the "local site folder" in your machine, or on a network?

    c) any large large originals in the site folder? like psd or fla or png or
    tiff files?

    random arrows:
    are these pages plain html- or dynamic?
    Is dreamweaver slow with every site- or just this one?
    Is dreamweaver slow with a NEW page, or only existing ones?
    Do you have a checkmark in "faster table editing" in Dw preferences,
    General?

    a url to a couple of sample pages??

    (in past- have found a couple of cases of some workflows that result in
    thousands of nested <font> tags or <div> tags that greatly bogged down dw
    trying to make sense of the code)
    > Have you managed to fix the problem with Dreamweaver running slow?
    >
    > As l cannot update any pages on my site at the moment , as the program is just
    > running to slow.
    >
    > Any help or advice would be much apprciated.
    >
    > Justin.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  9. #9

    I was having the exact same problem and I just found the fix.
    I noticed that my 'Live View' button was on, and once I turned it off - everything was back to normal.

    Let me know if this helps anyone.
    Unregistered Guest

  10. #10

    Hi, you mean, the "Connects/Disconnects from remote host" button in the Remote View?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was having the exact same problem and I just found the fix.
    I noticed that my 'Live View' button was on, and once I turned it off - everything was back to normal.

    Let me know if this helps anyone.
    Thanks!
    Unregistered Guest

  11. #11

    For those of you having an apparent random slow down problem, the poster above myself had the solution for me. It was a very easy fix. Live View was on and it was bogging DW down to a crawl. I have a very fast core I7 CPU running at 4 GHZ. Everytime I tried to add some code or even scroll around in the site, it would cripple a very fast system. This feature needs some work to say the least. I tried all the other fixes I found previously like clearing the cache file, etc. Turned out it was just Live View. Give it a shot!

    Running DW CS5, Windows 7 x64.
    Unregistered Guest

  12. #12

    Wink Re: Dreamweaver suddenly running slow

    (05/26/2011) To anyone stumbling across this thread in the future. I am also running DW CS4 and i was having the stall issues as well. The problem happens when editing LARGE files (mine is currently passing 10,000 lines of pure PHP).

    The last suggestion about disabling the "Live View" option works like a charm.

    STEPS:
    1. Click the down arrow to the right of the Live View button
    2. UN-check the "use local files for doent links" option
    3. done.

    Thanks for the idea
    Unregistered Guest

  13. #13

    I'm unable to uncheck "use local files for doent links" as it is greyed out and checked (so I cannot change it). Anyone know why this might be?
    Unregistered Guest

  14. #14

    Hi,
    Running DW CS5, Windows 7 x64.
    Only one of my sites is running low - the others are fine.
    The one that runs VERY slow only does so in "Split" or "Design" mode but runs fine in "Code" mode.
    When running slow even scrolling down is very slow to respond and typing is 1 character per 10 seconds.
    If I click "Live View" I can scroll OK but typing is still very slow.
    I cannot see the "use local files for doent links" anywhere???
    HELP!
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #15

    Just found my own solution.
    I used a 1x1 png image in a background.
    Changed it to .gif format and we are back in business.
    Unregistered Guest

  16. #16

    Cool Re: Dreamweaver suddenly running slow

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just found my own solution.
    I used a 1x1 png image in a background.
    Changed it to .gif format and we are back in business.
    I agreee... with you. Having the same problem.
    It seems that DW having problem rendering repeated .png.
    So, I avoid using .png as a background unless it is a non-repeated background.
    boeddy Guest