Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver Tutorials - ASP and HTM - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm a bit of a beginner at Dreamweaver and site development and have some questions I hope someone might be able to help with. I am following along in the Dreamweaver tutorials as instructed. When I complete the web site for Global Car and Global Car - ASP, I get a working page for the Rental Locations (ASP & Access). However, it does not tie back to the home page originally set up under a different web site(folder). My question is if I am misunderstanding the file structure of the example. I am putting everything in wwwroot under INETPUB as ...

  1. #1

    Default Dreamweaver Tutorials - ASP and HTM

    I'm a bit of a beginner at Dreamweaver and site development and have some questions I hope someone might be able to help with.

    I am following along in the Dreamweaver tutorials as instructed. When I complete the web site for Global Car and Global Car - ASP, I get a working page for the Rental Locations (ASP & Access). However, it does not tie back to the home page originally set up under a different web site(folder).

    My question is if I am misunderstanding the file structure of the example. I am putting everything in wwwroot under INETPUB as the remote folder. The home(index.htm) and Customer Service (customerservice.htm) pages are under C:/wwwroot/GlobalCar while The ASP pages are under site/folder C:/wwwroot/MySampleApp which is a site/folder separate from GlobalCar. Again my ASP pages work with the database (Access), but I can't navigate via the navigation bar to the Home Page.

    How do I get these to all work as one website?

    Can I have HTML pages within my ASP folder or should I not do that?

    Should my ASP pages folder be a site within my home/working site/folder (e.g. C:/wwwroot/GlobalCar/MySampleApp) or should it be a separate one (e.g. C:/wwwroot/MySampleApp and C:/wwwroot/GlobalCar) as independent sites with an exact reference to the URL linking the navigation bar selection to the home page(index.htm)?

    I am attempting to build a small web application and need to get this clarified in order to set it up correctly.

    Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance with this.

    Kindest Regards,

    Don

    Dakota999 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dreamweaver Tutorials - ASP and HTM

    Thank you for that quick response.

    In the case of the Global Car Rental project then, should the HTML files (index.htm and customerservice.htm) be in a separate root folder (i.e. C:/inetpub/wwwroot/GlobalCar) or in wwwroot also?

    I am using IIS with Windows XP. Everything there has worked fine except for directing to the correct paths for the htm files afore mentioned.

    Question though, is there any reason I can't host multiple ASP applications on the same server? And if so, how do I keep them separate so that I know easliy from an administrative point, which file goes with which application (assuming everything ASP-wise is being kept in wwwroot)?

    Kindest Regards,

    Don

    Dakota999 Guest

  3. #3

    putting htm/html files on the same folder as asp is fine. you dont need to
    put it on a seperate location.

    the local root folder of IIS is c:/inetpub/wwwroot/, so your apps should be
    in that folder.

    usually what we do if we have may apps, we create subfolder in the wwwroot
    folder. example

    c:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp1
    c:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp2
    c:/inetpub/wwwroot/webapp3

    this allows us to seperate applications and still use the same web/app
    server.
    ----
    to access IIS, you use the URL http://localhost/

    for the sample setup above, you access each of your web applications by

    http://localhost/webapp1/ for your web app1
    http://localhost/webapp2/ for your web app 2 and so on and so forth

    --
    Regards,

    MarkY-MMTS
    Macromedia Technical Support

    "Dakota999" <com> wrote in message
    (index.htm and customerservice.htm) be in a separate root folder (i.e.
    C:/inetpub/wwwroot/GlobalCar) or in wwwroot also?
    for directing to the correct paths for the htm files afore mentioned.
    applications on the same server? And if so, how do I keep them separate so
    that I know easliy from an administrative point, which file goes with which
    application (assuming everything ASP-wise is being kept in wwwroot)?

    MarkY Guest