Professional Web Applications Themes

Dreamweaver VS. FrontPage 2000 - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'm going to be starting my own web site sales business. I have used both FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver MX. Does anyone have any comparisons such as pros or cons to creating/designing websites in these programs? i want to stick to one program, but just can't decide which program would be the easiest for me or my customers who may have the ability to make small editing changes to their own website which I have created for them? Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Dreamweaver VS. FrontPage 2000

    I'm going to be starting my own web site sales business. I have used both FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver MX. Does anyone have any comparisons such as pros or cons to creating/designing websites in these programs? i want to stick to one program, but just can't decide which program would be the easiest for me or my customers who may have the ability to make small editing changes to their own website which I have created for them?

    Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    octoberben Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dreamweaver VS. FrontPage 2000

    I agree, I have two customer that used to edit thier own sites with
    Frontpage. Then they had me redo them and I told them that contribute
    would be better for the editing that they were doing - basically
    updating iformational items ( The updates weren't happening on a regular
    schedule because they kept breaking the site when they tried to update
    so they were always afraid to do the updates)

    So I rebuilt the site in Dreamweaver keeping the same look and templated
    it so that I could allow just the right amount of editability.

    Now they update the site several times a week because they know that
    they can't accidently break it, they can cut and paste out of Word and
    Excel, and now with CT2 they can push Publisher doents out to
    FlashPaper without spending several hundred extra for Adobe Acobat.

    They really love the feature where you can drag a word file to the CT
    window and it dumps the contents - pictures and all into the web page -
    keeping the layout quite well for a file conversion.

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    --

    Tim Litwiller
    http://www.mxcommunity.org

    Tim Guest

  3. #3

    Well, using DMX along with Contribute and FlashPaper sounds definitely the way to go.

    As mentioned to the other fellow form user, I have never used nor heard of Contribute or Flashpaper. but if they are that easy to use yet less cost than acrobat -- I'll have to check into it.

    I'll be using Virtual PC 6.0 with XP Pro on my power mac g4.

    Thanks and any other pertinent sharing info on this sort of business, I would be very thankful.

    thanks,

    octoberben Guest

  4. #4

    As someone who learnt via frontpage back in the day, Dreamweaver and the Macromedia suite of products is the way to go.

    You'll never look back.

    MT1701 Guest

  5. #5

    Contribute2 has a Mac version I believe.

    Wade

    Wade Guest

  6. #6

    Yeppers there is! It's nice, too....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Wade Halva" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  7. #7

    You should know that if you post a question like this to this group, you are
    going to hear a lot of preferences for DW.

    I am a former FP user, and there still some features I like about FP. I also
    disagree with some of the posts that I see when this question gets asked
    (quite often), as they provide the Microsoft-haters some room to vent,
    instead of offering helpful comments.

    To that end, I will offer you these hopefully helpful insights:

    1. If you are in a hurry to put up a site or intranet for a small company
    and you don't know anything about web stuff, FP will be much faster to
    learn, especially if you have experience with Office products.

    2. If you have to make some simple forms and don't know any server-side
    language, FP can build it for you.

    3. FP has a reputation for IE-specific code, but this rep is largely
    unfounded. In fact, I have found some DW and Fireworks code and some
    3rd-party DW extensions which work in IE but not Netscape.

    4. If you have more time to learn, DW is a much better product, and you can
    do more with less effort, once you learn it.

    Even though I seem to have listed 3 Pro's to 1 for FP, item 4 is really the
    key. DW is better because you can do more with less effort, once you learn
    it.

    But no matter what you choose, make sure that you learn basic HTML first.

    "octoberben" <com> wrote in message
    FrontPage 2000 and Dreamweaver MX. Does anyone have any comparisons such as
    pros or cons to creating/designing websites in these programs? i want to
    stick to one program, but just can't decide which program would be the
    easiest for me or my customers who may have the ability to make small
    editing changes to their own website which I have created for them?

    middletree Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you for your honest opinion. I did realize I may get more pros for DW since this is
    macromedia venue. I was inclined to initially go with FP due to more familiarity with it.

    I've used DW for1 simple site. The editable regions are very nice for what I want to do. That way the client won't be able to flush away the site... :)

    But, seing as your comments were in the neutral yet experience realm, I will seek out DW and Contribute and FlashPaper. I'm guessing by what you telling me that these are part of the DW suite -- hopefully this won't be too expensive.

    Thanks again for your honest reply -- this is very helpful.

    octoberben Guest

  9. #9

    Somehow, I knew that when I wrote that, you were going to ask for specifics.
    And that's good. Keeps people from making outrageous claims.

    Off the top of my head, I believe that a dropdown menu I built with FW
    didn't work in NN. And I got it from the FW MX tutorial that you go through
    when you first get the program.

    Another one is not from DW, but from a 3rd-party extension. Can't remember
    the name, but it allowed you to have text links which expanded and
    contracted based on clicks, just like a tree menu, but without the plus and
    minus signs.

    Sorry I don't know the name of that extension, but I don't even have my copy
    of DW here at work; it's at home. I will say that I put the extension to
    work on my site, www.middletree.net (look on the left), and then a
    javascript guru saw it and gave me some code to adjust it so that Netscape
    users will see it expanded, which is better than nothing.

    I know you are going to say that a 3rd-party extension is not the same as DW
    itself writing IE-specific code. But to a new user who finds the extension
    by going to the MM site, it seems like an endorsement of sorts. It's very
    DW-related, at least.

    Besides, I wrote that in response to the times I have seen people who have
    never even used FP accuse it of writing code that produces pages which only
    work in IE. That kind of comment hasn't shown up in this thread yet, but it
    has in many similar threads, so I was heading it off.

    "Murray *TMM*" <com> wrote in message

    > What code is this?
    > [/ref]
    first.
    > are
    > also [/ref]
    company
    > can
    > the [/ref]
    learn [/ref]
    first. [/ref]
    > both [/ref]
    such [/ref]

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    middletree Guest

  10. #10

    middletree:

    through

    Well, I think you are mistaken. Although I hate to admit that that part of
    the code is good, it seems to be. But nobody in their right mind uses this
    capability anyhow. 8)

    remember
    and

    Then this is not a DW problem, and should not be mentioned as such at least
    in the way that you did.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================
    http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

    "middletree" <com> wrote in message
    specifics.
    through
    remember
    and
    copy
    DW
    only
    it

    > > What code is this?
    > > [/ref]
    > first. [/ref]
    GET [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    I [/ref][/ref]
    asked [/ref]
    > company [/ref][/ref]
    server-side [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    really [/ref]
    > learn [/ref]
    > first. [/ref][/ref]
    used [/ref]
    > such [/ref]
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  11. #11

    I knew you were going to say that.

    > through
    >
    > Well, I think you are mistaken. Although I hate to admit that that part[/ref]
    of
    this
    > remember
    > and
    >
    > Then this is not a DW problem, and should not be mentioned as such at[/ref]
    least
    > specifics.
    > through
    > remember
    > and
    > copy [/ref]
    Netscape [/ref]
    as [/ref]
    extension [/ref]
    very [/ref]
    have
    > only [/ref]
    but
    > > first. [/ref]
    > GET [/ref]
    > you [/ref][/ref]
    FP. [/ref]
    > asked [/ref][/ref]
    vent,
    > > company [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref]
    > server-side [/ref]
    > you [/ref]
    > really
    > > learn
    > > first. [/ref]
    > used
    > > such [/ref][/ref]
    want [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    small

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    middletree Guest

  12. #12

    middletree:

    I knew *you* were going to say that! 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "middletree" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  13. #13

    Alright, I admit, I shouldn't have said it. Now, can you help me with my
    new question I just posted?

    >[/ref]

    middletree Guest

  14. #14

    middletree:

    I don't have a clue - I may have yesterday, however.... But I am reading the
    answers.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  15. #15

    "I am a former FP user, and there still some features I like about FP. I also
    disagree with some of the posts that I see when this question gets asked
    (quite often), as they provide the Microsoft-haters some room to vent,
    instead of offering helpful comments."

    I doubt that anyone on this forum hates Microsoft more than I do, but I'm honest enough to admit that there are SOME things I like about FrontPage.

    I compare FrontPage and Dreamweaver to an automobile and an airplane; Dreamweaver is much harder to learn, but you can also fly a lot higher with it. Dreamweaver also ditches some of the traditional CRAP you get with most Microsoft products. And if you want to apply for a job as a web designer, I don't think many people will take you serious if you tell them you work with FrontPage.

    On the other hand, Dreamweaver seems to be very temperamental. Judging from my experiences and from numerous posts, it appears to eat up a lot of memory and is affected by a number of problems - apparently generally associated with JavaScript and anti-virus software.

    My problems got so bad that I had to do start doing most of my work with FrontPage, switching back to Dreamweaver only to fine tune things. I just recently discovered that my style sheets may cause fatal exception errors in Dreamweaver. At first, I thought it was just bad code, but it appears that it's more a matter of QUIRKS; even something that appears to be a very clean, simple code can affect it.

    But knowing that makes it easier to troubleshoot problems and work with Dreamweaver. In the meantime, I think I've found the perfect system - working with Dreamweaver, FrontPage and Notepad. First, I create a website with Dreamweaver. Apparently, I can't open a page from this site with FrontPage; it opens as a Notepad file. But I can work on the page in Notepad, then copy it into FrontPge, then use the SAVE AS command to save it on top of the original page in my Dreamweaver site.

    I can open a Dreamweaver style sheet in FrontPage and work on it simultaneously.

    One thing I love about FrontPage is the ability to work on a site live; it frequently comes in handy. Also, FrontPage's include pages are arguably better than Dreamweaver library items or more advanced server side includes because they're so incredibly easy, and they update like server side includes. However, I haven't worked with server side includes yet, and I may discover that they have other advantages. Of course, the big advantage is the fact that they aren't MICROSHAFT.

    SUMMARY: If I had to choose between the two, I'd drop FrontPage lke a hot rock. But using Dreamweaver and FrontPage together can be even better. I suspect there's a world of wonderful techniques a person could employ with both programs combined, though my skills aren't yet advanced enough to understand them.

    http://www.geobop.com/, GeoBearATgeobop.com (Replace AT with )
    Interests: Web Design, Linux &amp; Political Reform
    GeoBear Guest