Professional Web Applications Themes

drop down menus - Macromedia Director Basics

CC: It loads slowly because it is large relative to the target weight for a web page. The only remedy is to not use that method. Here are two tutorials about alternate methods that will require about 15% as much code - [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm[/url] or [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm[/url] -- Murray --- ICQ 71997575 Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!) ================== [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS ================== [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage! [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Drop Down Menus

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "CC12" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I've created drop down menu's with the 2nd tier of dropdowns that is a
    newer feature in Fireworks MX, there is a problem with it, it loads so
    slowly is there anybody know a fix for this. It only is slow in IE and
    Netscape I believe but not mozilla. So it appears to be a browser problem.
    All the javascript it has to load is rediculous thats the problem, I just
    need a remidy for that.

    > Thanks

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  2. #2

    Default drop down menus

    Hi,

    I am trying to create a drop down menu that will contain a list (test1,
    test2, test3 etc) that will link to various pdf's. Can someone show me how
    to make this work so that when a user highlights a certain link in the list
    it opens the related pdf (I am using buddy the api command:

    on MouseUp

    set OK = baOpenFile( the pathName & "test1.pdf" , "maximised" )

    end

    on normal buttons

    to open pdf's through normal buttons at present. Thanks.

    Mintyman Guest

  3. #3

    i am - i just don't know how to implement it so that it works!

  4. #4

    Can anyone please show me how to use drop down menus? I want to be able to
    click on an item within a menu and a pdf opens. I don't have a clue how to
    do this though!

    Mintyman Guest

  5. #5

    Have you had a look through the notation in the drop-down list
    behaviour?

    It's a while since i used it but as far as i recall you had a choice
    of either going to a marker with the same name as the selected item in
    the drop list or you could access the selection as a text string,
    which was the one i used.

    assuming that your drop down list is called DropList then something
    along the lines of the following should help you.

    you'll have to dig about in the behaviour script for more specifics
    i'm afraid, but the notation within the script is really good as i
    recall.

    hth,

    regards,

    richie

    on MouseUp

    set dropDownListOp = sendAllSprites (#DropList_Selection, [:])
    set OK = baOpenFile( the pathName & dropDownListOp & ".pdf" ,
    "maximised" )

    end

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:47:44 +0100, "Mintyman" <mintymanntlworld.com>
    wrote:
    >i am - i just don't know how to implement it so that it works!
    >
    >"Richie Bisset" <richierocket.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >news:f8j6lvso8qn0cnavibagkufk3k7fk9chug4ax.com.. .
    >> Try the drop down list behaviour in the controls section of the
    >> library pallette.
    >>
    >> hth,
    >>
    >> regards,
    >>
    >> richie
    >>
    >> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:47:56 +0100, "Mintyman" <mintymanntlworld.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I am trying to create a drop down menu that will contain a list (test1,
    >> >test2, test3 etc) that will link to various pdf's. Can someone show me
    >how
    >> >to make this work so that when a user highlights a certain link in the
    >list
    >> >it opens the related pdf (I am using buddy the api command:
    >> >
    >> >on MouseUp
    >> >
    >> >set OK = baOpenFile( the pathName & "test1.pdf" , "maximised" )
    >> >
    >> >end
    >> >
    >> >on normal buttons
    >> >
    >> >to open pdf's through normal buttons at present. Thanks.

    Richie Bisset Guest

  6. #6

    There is not much built in menu support in with director. There is one
    drop down menu behavior in the library palette, designed more as an
    option selector with a settings form, it displays the last selection.

    There are 3rd party xtras that make popup menus, some hierchical, they
    don't always come in mac and pc versions.

    There are also a couple of examples on director developer web pages, I
    don't have them handy, yell some more if you want more specifics...
    JB Guest

  7. #7

    Can anyone help me make a dropdown menu in flash... I just can't get it to
    work, I have tried to do it with buttons and rollovers but for some reason I
    just can't get it to work... help me please

    Jimmy Bickerton Guest

  8. #8

    :confused; Does DreamWeaver 8 for Mac have the capability of developing a drop
    down menu. That is you click a spot and a sub-menu appears (I believe that is
    called a drop down).
    For years, I have used a shareware HTML editor called PageSpinner, but
    apparently Page Spinner doesn't have the drop down capability. So I downloaded
    a trial version of Dreamweaver 8. I have spent at least an hour searching the
    Dreamweaver menus and have been unable to find any evidence of any drop down
    capability. Could it be that DreamWeaver has another name for drop down?
    Could it be that HTML cannot support drop down? Could it be that I would have
    to switch perhaps to CSS (whatever that is)?
    If DreamWeaver can develop a drop down, then HOW?????
    I refuse to buy a pig in the poke, so that is why I downloaded a trial
    version. For $399, I am not going to buy a pig in the poke.
    Lester

    LesHemphill Guest

  9. #9

    Download the Trial of Fireworks8 too. It has the ability to make the menus
    your asking about very easily.

    --
    Regards,
    ...Trent Pastrana

    Dreamweaver Designer Tools
    iFrameSuite | MiniMenus | Scroller Packages | More...
    -----------------------------

    "LesHemphill" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > :confused; Does DreamWeaver 8 for Mac have the capability of developing a
    > drop
    > down menu. That is you click a spot and a sub-menu appears (I believe
    > that is
    > called a drop down).
    > For years, I have used a shareware HTML editor called PageSpinner, but
    > apparently Page Spinner doesn't have the drop down capability. So I
    > downloaded
    > a trial version of Dreamweaver 8. I have spent at least an hour searching
    > the
    > Dreamweaver menus and have been unable to find any evidence of any drop
    > down
    > capability. Could it be that DreamWeaver has another name for drop down?
    > Could it be that HTML cannot support drop down? Could it be that I would
    > have
    > to switch perhaps to CSS (whatever that is)?
    > If DreamWeaver can develop a drop down, then HOW?????
    > I refuse to buy a pig in the poke, so that is why I downloaded a trial
    > version. For $399, I am not going to buy a pig in the poke.
    > Lester

    T.Pastrana - 4Level Guest

  10. #10

    An excellent menuing system for DW is ProjectSeven. I bought a bunch of their
    stuff when I was a web dev rookie.

    User friendly and you don't have to go into the code to make it work.

    [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]

    DW_Steve Guest

  11. #11

    If you don't want to pay for the Project 7 one - and that is so good I bought it, then look at:

    [url]http://www.htmldog.com/articles/erfish/dropdowns/[/url]

    Bob
    firstrebel Guest

  12. #12

    I recently made some drop down menus in layers and it's showing behind the
    flash movie when I preview it. How can I make these menus show up above the
    flash movie? Any suggestions or tips would help greatly. Thanks.

    Kervie Guest

  13. #13

    All Active content on a page will always rise to the top, so to speak,
    including Flash, certain form elements, Java applets, and Active X controls.
    This means that each of these will poke through layers. There is not a good
    cross-browser/platform reliable way to solve this issue, but if you can be
    confident in your visitors using IE 5+ or NN6+, then you can use the Flash
    wmode parameter.

    MM articles:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/flash_top_layer.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/doents/wmode.htm[/url]

    Aziz's solution -
    [url]http://www.bezworks.com/lab/opaque.htm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  14. #14

    Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
    Kervie Guest

  15. #15

    How do I create rollover images with atttached drop down menus.
    What I seem to find are just drop down menu scripts with out the ability to add roll over images.

    dnaweb Guest

  16. #16

    Go easy on the web dev rookie here,.... I am using studio MX 2004 and I would
    like to incorporate a drop down menu on my nav table. (By this I mean if a user
    hovers over a link in the nav table, a drop down menu would be displayed to
    make further choices) I have looked through my manuals as well as w3.org, but
    have not been able to find anything. Can anyone help out? Thanks

    ti_ger_p_a_w Guest

  17. #17

    Check the uberlink and MacFly tutorials at PVII
    ([url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url])

    and the Navbar tutorial/articles at Thierry's place
    ([url]http://tjkdesign.com/navbars/[/url])

    Or to get it done fast, go here -

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/navigation/auto_hide/index.htm[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "ti_ger_p_a_w" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Go easy on the web dev rookie here,.... I am using studio MX 2004 and I
    > would
    > like to incorporate a drop down menu on my nav table. (By this I mean if a
    > user
    > hovers over a link in the nav table, a drop down menu would be displayed
    > make further choices) I have looked through my manuals as well as w3.org,
    > but
    > have not been able to find anything. Can anyone help out? Thanks

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  18. #18

    Thank you so very much for the quick reply. I have already purchased and downloaded it, and will be using it very shortly.
    ti_ger_p_a_w Guest

  19. #19

    The links I gave were to free tutorials - what did you purchase?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  20. #20

    I was very impressed with the project seven webpage. I went ahead and purchased
    the software especially since it is compatiable with Dreamweaver. Is there an
    issue with the software? Thanks again for the reply and the help. I'm a novice
    and can use all the help I can get.

    ti_ger_p_a_w Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast