Professional Web Applications Themes

Drop shadow - Adobe Indesign Windows

when I put a graphic in background or a color and place text with a drop shadow on top. It changes the color of my background, from the point of the shadow down the rest of page. For example I was making a flyer placed a yellow background with some pictures and I had the company name with a drop shadow. When the printer printes it it makes the yellow background dirty like the shadow was on it two. Take drop shadow off it fixed it. So I did drop shadow in photoshop and placed it in and fixed it. ...

  1. #1

    Default Drop shadow

    when I put a graphic in background or a color and place text with a drop shadow on top. It changes the color of my background, from the point of the shadow down the rest of page. For example I was making a flyer placed a yellow background with some pictures and I had the company name with a drop shadow. When the printer printes it it makes the yellow background dirty like the shadow was on it two. Take drop shadow off it fixed it. So I did drop shadow in photoshop and placed it in and fixed it. But it should work. Thanks for any help
    ccmskm@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drop shadow

    Make sure all color models are consistent; either all RGB or all CMYK, including graphics and doent color model as found under Edit > Transparency blend space.

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  3. #3

    Ok Ill Check. But if I remember right I might have chosen say 123 spot color for my background and the text was a spot color brown. and the yellow was fine until the point of the drop shadow and below. I did have cymk photos in flyer if I make everything to cymk that will fix it.
    ccmskm@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Spot colours do not play well with Indesign drop shadows. It's very tricky to mix spot and process colours. They are just not made for it. Process colours are designed to mix together predictably, so the drop shadow is forcing your Pantone 123 to become a process colour where the shadow affects it.

    You might have to make the shadow in a Photoshop file with a seperate spot channel for the Pantone 123. Mating the shadow to the artword casting the shadow can be tricky, so considder putting all three elements (company name, shadow, Pantone background) together in one file.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    > Spot colours do not play well with Indesign drop shadows.

    I respectfully, but strongly disagree. A good printer with up to date
    RIPs and workflow methods should have no problems with drop shadows and
    spots.

    Of course this assumes that the designer has set everything up properly.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    The Printer rip's file with a Harliquin rip. He sent it to is high end color copier too with a fiery rip did the same thing. I also did a two color job a annual report. did picture collogues for each page in photoshop grayscaled them saved them as tiff's. Brought them into InDesign, and placed my text. T made the placed photoshop images 280 text was 280 and 465 brown when I did Caption's in 280 with the 465 drop shadow it messed it up after it was ripped but if I did shadow the 280 it worked fine.
    ccmskm@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I Have done drop shadows in spot and workes fine if their is no background behind it. It's like it puts a box abound the text with the shadow.
    ccmskm@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I've put black drop shadows on spot colors with no problems. It's a
    RIP/workflow issue if it doesn't.

    Try this: Export as PDF with Acrobat 5 compatibility. Open in Acrobat
    pro and check the separations preview.

    Bob
    Bob Guest