Professional Web Applications Themes

Drop Shadows causing color distortion using ID2 - Adobe Indesign Windows

I am having some difficulty when printing an ID doent in Distiller. It seems that where ever I use a drop shadow, you can see the edges of the text/image box after it is printed using Distiller. You can see the edges because the color of the background becomes a bit lighter than the rest of background. I have tried many troubleshooting methods and have noticed that when you remove the drop shadow there is no color distortion. Finally if you use the PRESS conversion setting in Distller, those same images/text boxes apperar with an opaque white background. Any help ...

  1. #1

    Default Drop Shadows causing color distortion using ID2

    I am having some difficulty when printing an ID doent in Distiller.

    It seems that where ever I use a drop shadow, you can see the edges of the text/image box after it is printed using Distiller. You can see the edges because the color of the background becomes a bit lighter than the rest of background.

    I have tried many troubleshooting methods and have noticed that when you remove the drop shadow there is no color distortion. Finally if you use the PRESS conversion setting in Distller, those same images/text boxes apperar with an opaque white background.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Chris
    Chris_Schmelter@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Chris

    I am also having this problem when printing to our HP Designjet 50ps. I have emailed HP and awaiting a response. How does it look if you print straight from InDesign (without distilling)? As I found this a short-term work-around.

    I am still testing various settings so I can print pdfs from InDesign, as we like to save paper by placing as much as we can on a page.

    I also found text placed on top of a feathered psd image, printed too light.

    Wayne
    Wayne_Hooper@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have tried several other ideas and one seems to be effective...mostly.

    In my case the color distortion was occuring over a gradient color background. When I checked the colors in the gradient I realized it was treating color swatches that I created for that gradient as spot colors (or at least I think that's what it was doing). Therefore I changed the color setting to CMYK (which doesn't change the actual color at all since the swatch was created in CMYK). Then when I print the doent in Distiller the color distortion was not present.

    Now this solution was great for this current project, but what about when you want to use spot colors? Not sure how to figure that one out yet.
    Chris_Schmelter@adobeforums.com Guest