Professional Web Applications Themes

DSL->Airport problems, formerly DSL->Router->Airport - Mac Networking

Hi all, I have a quick question. Pardon me if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find any info myself. At my house, we have a DSL connection (local Vermont provider SoverNet). We used to run completely wired off of a Linksys router, but a few months ago I bought an airport card and base station. I run OSX, the other two are winXP. At first, they didn't have wireless cards, so I hooked the base station's WAN port up to my old ethernet slot on the router. This worked, and eventually the other two got wireless cards ...

  1. #1

    Default DSL->Airport problems, formerly DSL->Router->Airport

    Hi all, I have a quick question. Pardon me if this has been covered
    before, but I couldn't find any info myself.
    At my house, we have a DSL connection (local Vermont provider
    SoverNet). We used to run completely wired off of a Linksys router,
    but a few months ago I bought an airport card and base station. I run
    OSX, the other two are winXP. At first, they didn't have wireless
    cards, so I hooked the base station's WAN port up to my old ethernet
    slot on the router. This worked, and eventually the other two got
    wireless cards and everything worked like a charm, with the router
    plugged into the DSL modem and the Airport base station plugged into
    the router. Today, I decided to take the router out of the equation,
    thinking it now unnecessary. So, I just switched out the router and
    plugged the DSL modem into the Airport's WAN plug. Nothing. All the
    computers get the Airport's signal, and the base station tells me it
    has an IP address, but none of the computers can access the internet.
    I fiddled endlessly with the Base Station's settings to no avail.
    Does anyone have any insight?

    -Dan
    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Dan) wrote:

    I don't know the exact functionality of the Airport base station, but
    you do need a router between the DSL modem & your network. The router
    does things like DHCP (assigning address to machines on your LAN) and
    and NAT (making your LAN have only one address to the WAN side).
    Depending on your ISP the router also may run PPPoE over the WAN and
    acquire an IP address for itself via DHCP. The Airport may have all this
    functionality, but then, it may not.

    In short: Just leave the router in & be happy. I am running three of
    these babies at my home & I don't even have wireless yet!

    Uli Wienands
    Uli Guest

  3. #3

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    Uli Wienands <stanford.edu> wrote:

    The Airport is a router. It isn't a switch, though; it has only one LAN
    port.

    It does have all that functionality.

    I think that he needs to turn on the Airport's NAT and DHCP functions if
    he wants to remove the router from the system; it appears that he's
    using it as a bridge now.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  4. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Slartibartfast Guest
    Moderated Post

  5. #5

    Uli Wienands <stanford.edu> wrote:

    > I don't know the exact functionality of the Airport base station, but
    > you do need a router between the DSL modem & your network. The router
    > does things like DHCP (assigning address to machines on your LAN) and
    > and NAT (making your LAN have only one address to the WAN side).
    > Depending on your ISP the router also may run PPPoE over the WAN and
    > acquire an IP address for itself via DHCP. The Airport may have all this
    > functionality, but then, it may not.[/ref]

    Have you set the base station to do DHCP? That will be needed now, but
    previously the router did it.

    Do your computers talk to each other?

    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;