Professional Web Applications Themes

DSL - HELP!!! - Mac Networking

In article <caroljude-2DD1B3.22002318082003unknown63223005101.ipbbc.net >, CarolJude <caroljuderemovethis_highstream.net> wrote: > Howdy, I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for information on DSL. I > ordered service for our home and the connection kit arrived today. > However, I'm unable to get it up and running as the installation CD is > for PC only and I cannot get any information from ATT.net except to > purchase an $80. piece of software called MacPOET. > > This is not mentioned anywhere on ATT's site, and there was nothing on > their site to indicate that this would not be a simple job. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: DSL - HELP!!!

    In article
    <caroljude-2DD1B3.22002318082003unknown63223005101.ipbbc.net >,
    CarolJude <caroljuderemovethis_highstream.net> wrote:
    > Howdy, I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for information on DSL. I
    > ordered service for our home and the connection kit arrived today.
    > However, I'm unable to get it up and running as the installation CD is
    > for PC only and I cannot get any information from ATT.net except to
    > purchase an $80. piece of software called MacPOET.
    >
    > This is not mentioned anywhere on ATT's site, and there was nothing on
    > their site to indicate that this would not be a simple job. They said
    > they do not offer tech support for Macintosh, but have links to a site
    > called WURD.com, where I found setup information. Unfortunately, there
    > is a step in the set up guide that calls for a dialup number to be
    > entered into the Remote Access control panel for the initial connection
    > and registration with ATT.
    And the problem with that is....?
    > I am on an iMac, using 8.6 (a hardware issue prevents me from upgrading.
    > ATT's website claims its service will run on 8.5 onwards). I've just
    > spent an awful lot of money on something that was not supposed to be a
    > problem by any means, and I am really steamed right now
    >
    > Can someone tell me if there's a way to get this DSL service up and
    > running with what I have, and if there is another 'brand' of this POET
    > software that might be less costly or shareware-oriented?
    >
    > I had a scary feeling a few weeks ago that I'd be back here again in
    > exactly this mood. Maybe I should just order a Dell...
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can offer here.
    MacPoet is an application that handles the PPPoE protocol (PPP over
    Ethernet) that some servie providers use for DSL. If you were using OS
    X, the functionality is built into that OS. I just looked in
    VersionTracker for PPPoE clients for Mac OS, and MacPoet ($39) was the
    only hit. It requires a PowerPC processor and OS 7.6 or higher.

    <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/13216>

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:galleytexas.net>

  2. #2

    Gordon B. Alley <galleytexas.net> wrote:
    > MacPoet is an application that handles the PPPoE protocol (PPP over
    > Ethernet) that some servie providers use for DSL. If you were using OS
    > X, the functionality is built into that OS. I just looked in
    > VersionTracker for PPPoE clients for Mac OS, and MacPoet ($39) was the
    > only hit. It requires a PowerPC processor and OS 7.6 or higher.
    I don't know why EnterNet ($29) isn't listed at VersionTracker, but not
    only is it 10 bucks cheaper, in my experience it's more reliable and
    less of a pain that MacPoet:

    [url]http://store.efficient.com/OnlineStore/app/commercewf?origin=category.js[/url]
    p&event=link(browse)&wlcs_catalog_sourceKey=wlcs_c ategories&wlcs_catalog
    _destinationKey=wlcs_siblings&wlcs_catalog_categor y_id=EnterNet

    There's a Mac evaluation version included in this page.

    Of course, the original poster can check to see if Earthlink DSL is
    available in her area and, if it is, tell ATT to shove it.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Rosenberg Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <caroljude-2DD1B3.22002318082003unknown63223005101.ipbbc.net >,
    CarolJude <caroljuderemovethis_highstream.net> wrote:
    > Howdy, I posted a couple of weeks ago asking for information on DSL. I
    > ordered service for our home and the connection kit arrived today.
    > However, I'm unable to get it up and running as the installation CD is
    > for PC only and I cannot get any information from ATT.net except to
    > purchase an $80. piece of software called MacPOET.
    >
    > This is not mentioned anywhere on ATT's site, and there was nothing on
    > their site to indicate that this would not be a simple job. They said
    > they do not offer tech support for Macintosh, but have links to a site
    > called WURD.com, where I found setup information. Unfortunately, there
    > is a step in the set up guide that calls for a dialup number to be
    > entered into the Remote Access control panel for the initial connection
    > and registration with ATT.
    >
    > I am on an iMac, using 8.6 (a hardware issue prevents me from upgrading.
    > ATT's website claims its service will run on 8.5 onwards). I've just
    > spent an awful lot of money on something that was not supposed to be a
    > problem by any means, and I am really steamed right now
    >
    > Can someone tell me if there's a way to get this DSL service up and
    > running with what I have, and if there is another 'brand' of this POET
    > software that might be less costly or shareware-oriented?
    >
    > I had a scary feeling a few weeks ago that I'd be back here again in
    > exactly this mood. Maybe I should just order a Dell...
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can offer here.
    Your best bet is to buy almost *any* hardware router from Linksys,
    D-Link, Netgear, etc. I've had good luck with the Linksys BEFSR41, which
    you can now get for around $30-40 or less.

    Have the router take care of the PPPoE login, don't install any PPPoE
    software on your Mac, and connect it to one of the router's LAN ports as
    a regular Ethernet connection.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: [url]http://www.mc-development.com/[/url]

    Mike Cohen Guest

  4. #4

    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> wrote:
    > In article <1fzxh4v.sp12sh1o9lg2yN%mikePOSTTOGROUP.invalid >,
    > [email]mikePOSTTOGROUP.inva[/email]lid (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:
    >
    > > Of course, the original poster can check to see if Earthlink DSL is
    > > available in her area and, if it is, tell ATT to shove it.
    >
    > If it is, I'm sure that she will find that it uses ATT DSL lines.
    True, but Earthlink doesn't require Mac users to pay for PPPoE software
    to use their service.
    > BTW, when I had DSL from Qwest in the Phoenix area, the DSL modem
    > handled the PPoE. The computer connected to the DSL modem just like it
    > would connect to any ethernet router.
    That's how BellSouth works with the WesTell FireSpeed DSL modems they're
    currently using, as opposed to the Alcatel modems they previously used.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>