Professional Web Applications Themes

DSL PPoE via hub? - Mac Networking

I'm setting up a friend's computer with an older LaserWriter that is connected through Ethernet to a Dayna Etherprint. That part works fine. But now I need to use a router so she can connect to her broadband account. I tried using the Asante FriendlyNet router that had worked great for me with my cable modem. But when I got over there to set it up I found out her DSL connection uses PPoE. Ugh. I had no luck trying to get the router to connect to the DSL. Now I'm wondering if there's an easier way I could have ...

  1. #1

    Default DSL PPoE via hub?

    I'm setting up a friend's computer with an older LaserWriter that is
    connected through Ethernet to a Dayna Etherprint. That part works fine.
    But now I need to use a router so she can connect to her broadband
    account. I tried using the Asante FriendlyNet router that had worked
    great for me with my cable modem. But when I got over there to set it
    up I found out her DSL connection uses PPoE. Ugh. I had no luck trying
    to get the router to connect to the DSL.

    Now I'm wondering if there's an easier way I could have done this. If I
    just use a regular old hub, can I uplink to the cable modem and then
    connnect the Mac and the LaserWriter to the hub? Would the connection
    settings remain the same on the Mac as if it was connected directly to
    the DSL modem? I'm pretty sure the EtherPrint would act exactly the
    same because it uses AppleTalk.

    I realize by using the hub I don't get the benefits of firewall and of
    multiple computers connecting to the DSL modem. But I also don't have
    the hassle of router settings, which are going to mean a phone call
    every time something goes awry.

    Alternatively, if anyone has had success with PPoE using the
    FriendlyNet router and has some tips, that would be great. The thing
    that's weird about the PPoE setup screen is that the password field
    blanks out every time you save it (instead of the normal set of dots
    you would expect to see), so it's hard to tell if the reason the
    connection is failing is because the router isn't submitting any
    password.

    --
    David Stirling
    Black Dog Graphics

  2. #2

    Default Re: DSL PPoE via hub?

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:07:56 GMT, David Stirling
    <BlackDogGraphicsSpamFilterattbi.com> wrote:
    >Now I'm wondering if there's an easier way I could have done this. If I
    >just use a regular old hub, can I uplink to the cable modem and then
    >connnect the Mac and the LaserWriter to the hub? Would the connection
    >settings remain the same on the Mac as if it was connected directly to
    >the DSL modem? I'm pretty sure the EtherPrint would act exactly the
    >same because it uses AppleTalk.
    >
    >I realize by using the hub I don't get the benefits of firewall and of
    >multiple computers connecting to the DSL modem. But I also don't have
    >the hassle of router settings, which are going to mean a phone call
    >every time something goes awry.
    My home network consists of a PPPoE DSL "modem," connected directly
    via Cat5 wire to a four-port hub, with two Winboxen and a Mac plugged
    into that. Everybody sees everybody just fine, and everybody can see
    the Internet as well.

    The DSL modem *probably* has a little firewall built into it. Mine has
    that and DHCP built in, so everything is copacetic and slick as all
    getout. No problems at all except BellSouth DSL is kinda crappy. = )

    forge Guest