Professional Web Applications Themes

DTP with Freehand??? - Macromedia Freehand

Hi. I'm completely new to Freehand - haven't a clue how to use it but have been asked to produce a tri-fold leaflet and a 12 page magazine. Can these be done using Freehand? If so, please help me get started. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default DTP with Freehand???

    Hi. I'm completely new to Freehand - haven't a clue how to use it but have been
    asked to produce a tri-fold leaflet and a 12 page magazine. Can these be done
    using Freehand? If so, please help me get started. Thanks.

    Funky Monk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: DTP with Freehand???

    First - don't install 11.0.2 upgrade if you work with a lot of text! There
    is a serious line spacing bug and you have to use points as units - and make
    backup copies often. Alos note that Raster Effects do not work with cmyk
    colors and high-res setting.
    > asked to produce a tri-fold leaflet
    FreeHand is at it's best in making this kind of doents. Especially if you
    create vector illustrations text effects etc. too. Note that you'll need
    only two pages. Use just guidelines for marking folds.
    > and a 12 page magazine. Can these be done
    Too many pages if you have many imported images and a lot of text flowing
    from page to page. Of course this can be done with FreeHand but a 'real'
    page layout program like InDesign, Quark or even PageMaker may be a better
    choice.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your help. I can't actually get the guidelines to show. I have gone
    to View > Guides > Show but nothing comes up on screen. How do set the
    guidleines to mark the folds and how do I know what to set them to so that it
    will fold properly?

    Funky Monk Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for your help. I can't actually get the guidelines to show. I have gone
    to View > Guides > Show but nothing comes up on screen. How do set the
    guidelines to mark the folds and how do I know what to set them to so that it
    will fold properly?

    Funky Monk Guest

  5. #5

    View > Page Rulers > Show.

    You can then drag guides from the rulers, or use the Page Rulers > Edit
    dialog to set precisely placed guides.

    Judy Arndt

    Funky Monk wrote:
    > Thanks for your help. I can't actually get the guidelines to show. I have gone
    > to View > Guides > Show but nothing comes up on screen. How do set the
    > guidelines to mark the folds and how do I know what to set them to so that it
    > will fold properly?

    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks Judy. I wasn't sure how to apply the guidelines. Now I know how to do it.
    Funky Monk Guest

  7. #7

    Use the help from the pull down menu in Freehand to find out how to do
    things like operate rulers and guides.
    Whats this serious line spacer bug in 11.02 - mine seems fine?

    Regards

    Nigel Stutt
    Web Site Designer

    Email: [email]nstuttnstutt.freeserve.co.uk[/email]
    Web: [url]http://www.nstutt.freeserve.co.uk[/url]

    "Funky Monk" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Judy. I wasn't sure how to apply the guidelines. Now I know how to
    do it.

    Nats Guest

  8. #8

    You can do it but the quickest way to produce a multi page doc is to use Quark
    or InDesign both of which are desktop publishing programs. I love Freehand but
    would never use it a brochure. I believe Freehand and Illustrator are both
    means to an end. Use your DTP program for typesetting, importing photos and
    placing vector art which is created in Freehand.

    That's the smartest way to work. If you don't own these programs, I guess
    you'll be forced to create the files in Freehand, but it's like before
    computers, if you only own a pencil someday you'll have to buy a pen.

    algraph Guest

  9. #9

    > I love Freehand but
    > would never use it (to do) a brochure.
    No kidding (!?) I'm just the opposite. I long ago gave up using a page
    layout program for shorter doents when FreeHand got really good at
    handling text.
    > I believe Freehand and Illustrator are both
    > means to an end. Use your DTP program for typesetting, importing photos
    and
    > placing vector art which is created in Freehand.
    What's the point of going through all that switching back and forth when you
    can do it all in one program AND have your vector art editable right on the
    page if need be?

    Bill Schuhle

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  10. #10

    Couldn't have said it better myself. I've done many, many tri-fold brochures
    and single-page docs within FreeHand. Larger doents got to be trickier,
    especially when it comes to output time; in my neck of the woods service
    bureaus tend to go white (or blank altogether) at the mention of FreeHand. I
    usually export to .ai or .pdf then. But even so, FH is the app in which most of
    my short doents get created, refined, and polished off.

    Nowadays, for longer, more complex doents I'm tending toward ID. But to say
    that FH can't handle brochures... well, not in my books. If the whole thing can
    be created in FH, with PS taking on the raster components, then that's the way
    I invariably go.

    maxman23 Guest

  11. #11

    > Whats this serious line spacer bug in 11.02 - mine seems fine?
    Use anything but points as units and change the line spacing value in object
    palette. You'll have the first line on screen, the second line in the cellar
    and the third line probably in China.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  12. #12

    Why would you use something besides points in defining a font size? That seems to be an easy work-around. I can't even tell how to use something other than points to define font size.

    Jennifer
    gesamark Guest

  13. #13

    > Why would you use something besides points in defining a font size? That
    seems to be an easy work-around. I can't even tell how to use something
    other than points to define font size.

    It is global measuring units. You can't change units for type size or line
    spacing. Most peaple use millimeters or inches I guess.

    In fact I'd like to use points also in defining space above and below
    paragraph but FreeHand developers are stupid enough to link these fields
    with global units. Of course I can type the units I want to use and FreeHand
    converts them for me but still...

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  14. #14

    Jukka,
    I cannot reproduce that bug here. Line spacing is in points regardless of
    doent units. Are you mixing up percentage spacing and additive spacing?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Armadillo wrote:
    > Use anything but points as units and change the line spacing value in object
    > palette. You'll have the first line on screen, the second line in the cellar
    > and the third line probably in China.
    >
    > Jukka

    Judy Arndt Guest

  15. #15

    > I cannot reproduce that bug here. Line spacing is in points regardless of
    > doent units. Are you mixing up percentage spacing and additive spacing?
    Yes, line spacing is in points but if you use anything but points as global
    (doent) units and make changes in the object palette by typing values and
    hitting enter the line spacing increases every time until it reaches maximum
    1000 points (= setting).

    This of course happens if line spacing value is not 0 as it should be for
    almost any text especially for body text.

    This bug appeared when a conversion bug in object palette was fixed. It
    seems that the line spacing field assumes incorrectly that the value is in
    global units and converts it into points every time any changes are made in
    the object palette. Also changes in other fields launch conversion routine
    incorrectly.

    This is a case of very bad programming and poor professional skills as well
    as inadequate testing.

    Jukka

    Armadillo Guest

  16. #16

    I cannot reproduce this either (FHMX 11.0.2, Mac OS X 10.3.3). I work
    almost exclusively in millimetres, but whichever doent units I use,
    the line spacing field, when set to either '+' or '=', accepts my values
    correctly as points, and when I suffix them with another unit ('mm',
    'cm', 'p' etc), they convert correctly to points.

    --

    Danny
    Danny Whitehead Guest

  17. #17

    Danny,
    Jukka's not talking about entering values in the line spacing field. He's
    talking about typing values in the object palette and having that
    automatically change his line spacing when he hits "enter" (if his global
    doent units are other than points).

    Bill Schuhle

    "Danny Whitehead" <dannydontsendspamtobqprint.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I cannot reproduce this either (FHMX 11.0.2, Mac OS X 10.3.3). I work
    > almost exclusively in millimetres, but whichever doent units I use,
    > the line spacing field, when set to either '+' or '=', accepts my values
    > correctly as points, and when I suffix them with another unit ('mm',
    > 'cm', 'p' etc), they convert correctly to points.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Danny

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  18. #18

    This is most definitely not happening here. What version (build) of FHMX are
    you using? Are you using a localized language (non-English) version?

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Armadillo wrote:
    > Yes, line spacing is in points but if you use anything but points as global
    > (doent) units and make changes in the object palette by typing values and
    > hitting enter the line spacing increases every time until it reaches maximum
    > 1000 points (= setting).
    Judy Arndt Guest

  19. #19

    > This is most definitely not happening here. What version (build) of FHMX
    are
    > you using? Are you using a localized language (non-English) version?
    English Win FH 11.0.2

    I'm amazed that you have not noticed this bug - I have seen many posts about
    the line spacing bug in this newsgroup.

    Or it is only in Win version - or you do not use FreeHand for body text.

    Jukka

    PS. Read Bill's post in this thread.

    Armadillo Guest

  20. #20

    Armadillo wrote:
    > Or it is only in Win version ...
    Yup. That's it. I just looked at the freshly updated FHMX Emerging Issues:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/ts/doents/fhmx_emerging__issue[/url]
    s.htm

    "When working in millimeters the leading values are converting (Windows XP
    Only)"

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)